Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Technical Ques driving test

Options
  • 09-05-2006 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all

Have driving test on Thurs morning-anyone have a Toyota yaris? If so can u please tell me where the brake fluid and power steering fluid are under the bonnet? Typical girl i ain't got a clue;) ta v much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ripcurl wrote:
    Hi all

Have driving test on Thurs morning-anyone have a Toyota yaris? If so can u please tell me where the brake fluid and power steering fluid are under the bonnet? Typical girl i ain't got a clue;) ta v much

Have you looked in the handbook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ripcurl

I bought the car second hand and didn't get a handbook with it. I checked out the Toyota website but hte online brochures don't have that type of detail unfortunately. I've emailed them to ask them to send out a handbook but don't think it'll be here before thurs morningk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Look around! There a limited number of caps and they are marked with various symbols. For most cars the brake fluid is the one with an exclaimation mark in a circle surrounded by semi circles. The wiper filler has a picture of water suprting over a windscreen. Power steering will be a darker colour to the normal water tank. Steering fluid usually has 'power steering' and the french equivalent on the side of the cap, maybe a steering wheel on top. If you look at your dashboard lights the filler cap symbols usually match. If there is one you are not sure of eliminate the other caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

K here's the definitive answer!

Firstly, there's a good chance that your Yaris doesn't have power steering fluid, as most had electric power steering.
    Yaris_engine_bay.jpg
    If you look at the above picture, to the left of the picture, behind the headlight, there is a black flat-topped cap, this is the windscreen washer fluid filler.

On top of the engine, there is a round black filler cap. this is the oil filler cap. the dipstick for the oil is the yellow loop sticking out of the engine towards the front.

The brake fluid filler is located just in front of the windscreen on the right hand side of the picture.

The battery is on the far right, the + is covered by a red cap, and the - is the one with the yellow cable (though yours will be black)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Here's another picture lifted from the Innernet with stuff labelled-
    yarisengine8th.jpg

As colm_mcm said, most Yaris' come with electric power steering, so there's no fluid filler or reservoir.

The car in the picture above is left hand drive, so the clutch reservoir on your car could be on the other side of the engine bay. It'll look like that one though, just in a different place (most likely directly behind the engine filler cap).

• Advertisement

that's a new model, the old models engine bay was laid out differently, but most items are in similar places!

colm_mcm wrote:
    that's a new model, the old models engine bay was laid out differently, but most items are in similar places!
    Fair enough :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm probably wrong about this but I thought you couldn't do your driving test in a Yaris because the instructor can't see what speed your doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's no stipulation in the test requirements that the instructor needs to be able to see what speed you're doing.

yup, that's true. I did my test in a Yaris when they were just launched. Instructor was never in one before, but couldn't do anything about it. funny thing was he said after the test that perhaps I should drive a little faster. thing was I was doing about 35 in a 30 zone, as per the instructions of my instructor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually, I checked it out and the Statute Book explicity states that the speedo should be clearly visible to the driver. Thus, so long as *you* can see the speedo fine, the tester has no right to refuse to test you.

In case anyone's interested, there are three cases where the vehicle doesn't need a speedo:
    1. If it's a works vehicle (e.g. a forklift)
    2. If the vehicle is a tractor and is not capable of more than 20mph
    3. If it's any other vehicle not capable of more then 30mph

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Rovi wrote:
    yarisengine8th.jpg

...so the clutch reservoir...
    Does the yaris have a hydraulic or cable operated clutch?

kbannon wrote:
    Does the yaris have a hydraulic or cable operated clutch?
    Whoops! You're right, that's the brake reservoir!
    Apologies to the OP, I don't know what I was thinking :(
    My bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ripcurl

Thanks guys your life savers:D ! Just printed off the page and now off to pop the hood and check it all out!

i'll let you know how I get on tomorrow morning!

Advertisement