Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wizard on the back cover of Philosophers Stone?

Options
  • 09-05-2006 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

who is that? I know what all the other drawings are meant to be, but this one has been p*ssing me off. It is not Quirrel because he hasn't got a turban, it isn't Dumbledore because of many reasons like hair color and length. So who is it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

What publication is it? Mine has dumbledore on the back with his putter-outter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

that must be the US or the adult version, the 'kiddies' UK version shows a youngish wizard wearing fairly colourfull robes, with a brown beard holding a book with a pentagram on it. Google has let me down, I can't find a pic of him, and I tried Yahoo also

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Marts, is yours one of the first edition copies of the book? My copy has Dumbledore on the back, but it's also got a thing on the cover saying it won the Smarties Book Award or something - however my friend Sarah has one of the original copies and hers has that sam wizard on the back. They must have changed it to Dumbledore at some point and that's why you can't find it anywhere (and yes, mine and Sarah's books are both the Bloomsbury UK editions)

mine isn't Bloomsbury, it's... *goes to check* Ted Smart. it was bought at least 6 years ago

I am currently devoid of my digital camera so I cannot post a pic of the wizard

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That sounds like some crazy alternate universe version...!

I have Dumbledore too.

• Advertisement

Thinking about it, the wizard might be Nicholas Flamel, he has something bulging in his pocket, which reminds me of the bulge the stone made in Harry's pocket, and there is no physical description of Flamel in the books

I took a photo of the wizard, it's not very clear tho

It must be Flamel alright, considering there's a stone shaped bulge in his pocket.

Heh heh heh. Bulge.

But yes, I agree, it must be Flamel.

Although... Dumbledore is about 150 years old and he has grey hair. Flamel is about 500 so one would assume he would have too. That wizard has auburn hair, which Dumbledore's used to be.

• Advertisement

While trawling through the interweb for info on this, I came across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:L%27ecole_des_sorciers.jpg

All I can say is...... How French is that?

Plus, I also read that the illustration on Marts edition could possibly be one of Dumbledore. But there was a debate as to whether it was him pre Harry, if it was him just at the books beginning, or if it was an illustrators blunder.

Faith wrote:
    Although... Dumbledore is about 150 years old and he has grey hair. Flamel is about 500 so one would assume he would have too. That wizard has auburn hair, which Dumbledore's used to be.
    I thought about that aswell, the Philosophers stone is hardly just a devise that has the same efect on Death as garlic has on vampires. I mean I assume the elixer of life keeps you youthfull, I mean I would not like to live 420 into the life of not being able to reach the toilet on time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I was thinking the same thing, I've that wizard on the back of mine too. Rarer than the Dumbledore cover?

Advertisement