Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charles Dickens

Options
  • 09-05-2006 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Well, last year I started back on the classics and decided that I would read some of Dickens works as my only exposure to his work had been through TV and film versions.

What a surprise, the guy was a fantastic and humourous writer! Okay, some of his sentances stretch over entire paragraphs without stopping but he had a great range of vocabulary.

I love the way he championed the poor while ridiculing the snobbish elite. In his own way, he was trying to educate the middle and upper classes towards a more enlightened rapport with "the dregs" of humanity.

Don't know which is my favourite work so far, perhaps the PickWick papers or Great Expectations?

Anyone else like to share their experiences of his work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I read abridged versions of some of the books as a child, like Great Expectations, Tale of Two Cities, and A Christmas Carol, and I still remember what fantastic stories they were.
    Have the full Great Expectations in my to-read pile at the mo..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Great Expectations was great, I finished reading it in February and wasn't disappointed.

I'm currently reading Oliver Twist and have to say I love it too! I'm so glad I discovered Dickens writing, makes a welcome change from my usual Ian Rankin, Harlan Coben, John Connolly etc :)

As an aside to my own thread (going off-topic :rolleyes: :D ), I read Jonathon Norrell and Mr. Strange late last year and must say that I really think that Susanna Clarke must have read loads of eigtheenth and early nineteenth century works to get the tone for that book right, that was truly class!:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I got a 95+ year old copy of Great Expectations from ebay about a week ago. On the inside cover it says:

"To X, June 1911"...!!

Looking forward to reading it .. if it dosen't disintegrate in my hands ... or if I don't accidentally inhale it in the process.

Cool to have such an ancient book!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I had to do Bleak House for my course in college, and despite Esther getting a bit insipid, it was wonderful.

I can't wait until the exams are over and I can read whatever I want again!

Advertisement