Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

applet/server problem

Options
  • 09-05-2006 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,
    I have made my own basic java applet and java server.
    They both work fine together when I run the programs by themselves.

But when I try to run the applet on a website,
    the applet can't access the server.

The servlet only runs on a local host at the mo.

Would anyone have an idea of what could be the problem?

Thanks
    whothe****cares

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

Stating the obvious maby.... but you have changed the address from local host to the ip/ address of your server when you put it on another machine, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dob99

What do you mean by server? Is it a standalone application that accepts incoming connections or is it a servlet (running on a webserver)? If it's the former, you have to actually run it on the webserver - not just copy it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

EOA_Mushy wrote:
    Stating the obvious maby.... but you have changed the address from local host to the ip/ address of your server when you put it on another machine, yes?
    Also, is there a firewall between the two machines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Last night, I had a problem running my java applets on my server after developing and testing them locally.

Turns out I was developing using Java2 development kit 5.0, but my browser was only using Java2 run-time environment version 1.4.2_07.

Not such a big issue if you develop in older versions and run using a newer run-time environment, but it can be detrimental the other way around!

Schoolboy error which took me about 45 mins to crack after lots of messing around with the server.

Anyway, my suggestion is to download and install the latest version of Java2's runtime environment for your browser and see if it helps.

:)

Advertisement