Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem connecting to Broadband

• 09-05-2006 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been with utv for 2 years now and have been very happy with their service. Recently however my broadband connection has only been working intermitently and now it is not connecting at all. I phoned up utv and they say it is a problem with the eircom line and that they know about it but there is not much they can do at the moment. Is this true? I am in the Meath area (they said they were having massive problems in Cork and now in Monaghon)

I dont want this to turn into a utv bashing thread, I just want to know whether it is actually eircom that is at fault and if I'll be able to get a refund from utv.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

I only clicked on this thread because I saw this on the homepage:

problem.gif

I'm disappointed now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Serbian wrote:
    I only clicked on this thread because I saw this on the homepage:

problem.gif

I'm disappointed now :(

Oops sorry for the disappointment Serbian!! :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi,

I have been with utv for 2 years now and have been very happy with their service. Recently however my broadband connection has only been working intermitently and now it is not connecting at all. I phoned up utv and they say it is a problem with the eircom line and that they know about it but there is not much they can do at the moment. Is this true? I am in the Meath area (they said they were having massive problems in Cork and now in Monaghon)

I dont want this to turn into a utv bashing thread, I just want to know whether it is actually eircom that is at fault and if I'll be able to get a refund from utv.

Thanks

Well without bashing UTV you should be aware that it is reflex for them to blame Eircom for everything - for instance of what relevance to your complaint is it to tell you that they are having terrible problems in Monaghan and Cork? And while you are on Sir my poor granny is very ill too:rolleyes:

And the nest time they tell you there is not much they can do for you you might ask them what exactly you are paying them for?

So what action are they taking on your behalf? Establish that first of all and if you cannot do that escalate it.

Is it a line issue? Is it an exchange issue? is your phone service affected?

Dont put down the phone from UTV support without firm information as to what exactly they are doing on your behalf and finally an email to carl@u.tv can work wonders or at least provide some focus.

Have you checked the UTV support group to see if anyone in your area is having similar problems? It might also be an idea to email them and tell that you certainly will not be paying them for internet service that you are not receiving.

And if you are receiving lousy customer service why shouldnt you bash them its what they deserve it that is what they are giving you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Yep, i am having the same problem, only started in the past month or so. check out this threadhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054925869
    dub45 gives a great link http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

A little bit of checking showed that UTV upgraded me to 2Mb (for free!) but my line can't handle it, accordoing to that site my line is just about suitable for 1Mb

Also check your modem interface web page to get your line stats, I noticed that if I unplug one of the phones in my house I get a much better signal to noise ratio so unpluging the phone has reducced the disconnects.

I rang UTV and asked them to downgrade the line to 1Mb, they haven't done it yet so I can't say if that will solve the problem.

All in all UTV offer a good service, I think the crappy phone infrastructure in Ireland is the cause of a lot of the problems....of course I could be completely wrong :rolleyes:

Advertisement