Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom Tiling queries...

• 09-05-2006 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

Trying to get the bathroom tiled. Couple of questions...

1. Its a new house and the walls have been painted. Will this affect the degree to which the tiles will adhere to the wall? Would a coat of PVA help? Is there any benefit in applying a waterproof sealant - and if so which one should i use?

2. I've had someone help us out with it(on weekends) as I simply dont have enough time. They've tiled the floor. I'm intend wall tiling it in its entirety. Where the bottom wall tile meets the floor, should the floor tile be overlapping in under the wall tile or just meeting it?? They seem to have left a gap on two walls which would mean that when the wall tiles go on, they will meet the floor tile. With the third wall, the floor tile goes in under/behind where the wall tile will contact the floor. Whats the standard here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Trying to get the bathroom tiled. Couple of questions...

1. Its a new house and the walls have been painted. Will this affect the degree to which the tiles will adhere to the wall? Would a coat of PVA help? Is there any benefit in applying a waterproof sealant - and if so which one should i use?

2. I've had someone help us out with it(on weekends) as I simply dont have enough time. They've tiled the floor. I'm intend wall tiling it in its entirety. Where the bottom wall tile meets the floor, should the floor tile be overlapping in under the wall tile or just meeting it?? They seem to have left a gap on two walls which would mean that when the wall tiles go on, they will meet the floor tile. With the third wall, the floor tile goes in under/behind where the wall tile will contact the floor. Whats the standard here?

1. It would be necessary to 'score' the painted walls with an old chisel or something similar to roughen the surface and ensure that the adhesive adheres to the wall not the paint.

2. This seems to be a matter of choice or depends which was tiled first. Some people prefer the floor tile to go under the wall tile, others leave them close together and fill the gap with grout while others tile the wall first and leave a gap for floor grout around the edge.

Advertisement