Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanet.ie - Abbeyfeale - My Experience

Options
  • 09-05-2006 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

Chaps from Permanet (www.permanet.ie) are coming around this week to install their 2mb up 2mb down Biz product for about €50 per month. Thought I would post how things went for other users.

First contact 20/03/06
    Called the phone number on the website, no details of anything available over the phone. Lady was very polite, however, informed me to register online & 'it would be a number of weeks before they get around to me as they are very busy'.
    Registered as requested and received and automated confirmation email from them.

Second Contact 20/03/06
    I sent them a mail also, as I am desperate. Gave them my home phone number, explaining that during the day I'm on the net for 11 hrs or so, call me after hours or bump me off the net by calling 3 times one after the other. Also asked when they are expecting to be in the area.

29/03/06 email reply from permanet
    They want to know my exact location. Best I could do was reply with a map, (x marking the spot), sent via email.

05/04/06 Email reply from permanet
    'Outside our coverage area, sorry'. Resigned myself to dial-up for atleast another year.

07/04/06 Email (out of nowhere)
    They inform me that one of my neighbours has installed. They tell me there is a transmitter at Knockanure, near Ballybunion, can I see it?
    I can see it, just. Took a drive out to verify & get a distance check, about 18 miles as the crow flies. Sent them a delighted email informing them of this.

10/04/06 I repeated the last email in hope of promting some action.

18/04/06 I repeated the last email in hope of promting some action.

19/04/06 Received an email stating that an installer had tried to contact me but couldn't get through. I run out and buy a mobile, I give them the number.

24/04/06 I prompt them again with the last email.

03/05/06 I call the office number and ask for a techie to call me back.

08/05/06 Techie calls me, we set a date for the install. (11/05/06).

In summary, I think this is a small and possibly overwhelmed company. Their customer service may be appaling. Frankly, I dont care, whenever I have spoken to them they have been honest (It'll be a few weeks etc) and straightforward. As long as I get BB I dont give a monkeys who is running the company.

So, I will continue to post what happens so that others may decide to give them a go or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Chap came around, about an hour late but it is difficult to find my place.

Set up an aerial on my roof (Photo).
    Setup a box in my office.

1hr 50 mins later, job done. Am now connected & all is well.

Only 1 issue, at the mo I am connected to the standard service and not the one that I requested. Sure that is just a phone call though.

Very happy with this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ping www.boards.ie and ping www.jolt.co.uk and post the response times in here

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.136.250] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 82.195.136.250:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 45ms, Maximum = 46ms, Average = 45ms

Pinging jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=54
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=54
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=54
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 82.133.85.65:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 38ms, Average = 36ms

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Am I the only one to find pinging jolt is faster then boards is funny?

I've found boards.ie very slow and a bit odd of late.

Pinging www.bbc.net, average = 24ms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Boards is a victim of its own popularity

Few minor criticisms:

No manual or userguide left for the modem. Its an Arris WM450. Its not a router, so I think I'll need one of those too (no so sure how this cable stuff works really).

The installer did give me a phone number for support tho, just dont like using them, a person thing you understand :).

At the mo I'm struggling to get torrents to work as there is no UPNP or in theory port requirement for the cable modem. Will investigate and getback to you.

Also, after a couple of hours I think my IP expired, needed to do a /release to get it working, again one of those things that a support call or a handout from the installer would fix.

Still, very good and better than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

nice write up :)

I have permanet aswell and experienced similar things to yourself ...but now i have it, it has made my on-line experience fantastic .... no longer do i have to hear the modem tones burbling away ;)

I agree with you that it is difficult to get some response from them. I do also get the opinion that they are a bit overwhelmed by take up ...but i can't fault them for anything else...

btw, did u manage to get your speeds upgraded ?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ch750536 wrote:
    Took a drive out to verify & get a distance check, about 18 miles as the crow flies.
    :eek::confused:

Robxxx7 wrote:

btw, did u manage to get your speeds upgraded ?

Email sent Thu, 11 May 2006 23:13:20 +0100 to permacare@permanet.ie

Hi,

Just got online with you yesterday, thanks. Customer ID ****, *****
    *****, *****, Abbeyfeale.

Few queries.

1. Email, I need smtp server details please.
    2. I have attached a netopia 3347w router to your modem, I have set
    up the ethernet bridge, no problems there. I need to set up ports
    etc, is this only done on the 3347 as I cant find any settings at all
    on the cable modem. (Mainly for VPN & torrents).
    3. Can you put me on the Biz 2MB Upload + service please (don't be
    shy with the whip on the download throttle).
    4. When & how do I pay you?
    5. Can I get a static IP with this?

All very good so far, thanks a lot.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote:
    :eek::confused:

Depends on technology, some are not so good over long distances. The engineer told me that this one is good for 30 miles though.

Obviously, the 18 miles was an estimate on the 24 miles I drove on a reasonably straight route.

Amazing service.

At 10:18 am received a phone call from their support chaps.

1. Email, I need smtp server details please. - Sending me an email later

2. I have attached a netopia 3347w router to your modem, I have set
    up the ethernet bridge, no problems there. I need to set up ports
    etc, is this only done on the 3347 as I cant find any settings at all
    on the cable modem. (Mainly for VPN & torrents).- No ports are closed their end, I need to work this one out for myself. Happy with that.

3. Can you put me on the Biz 2MB Upload + service please (don't be
    shy with the whip on the download throttle).Reccomended a different service, the 1750 down 512 up. Will give it a go but I use desktop sharing with skype so may need the 1mb up. Can change later tho.

4. When & how do I pay you? - By CC for month 1& installation, by DD for the rest.

5. Can I get a static IP with this? - Damn right I can. Email received with good clear instructions.

Of course, there is every chance that they have seen this thread. :)

excellent ... ;)

I will give them a shout on Monday to get my speed zoomed up.. but considering i never had a cat in hells chance of getting 'real' broadband :) .. this service is great ...

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

They tell me there is a transmitter at Knockanure, near Ballybunion, can I see it?
    Knock an Oir, Mountain of gold. From the drop 5 counties are visable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

i have permanet as well, i am getting it from the Slieve Mish transmitter. Just wondering is anyone else getting odd dropouts?, in the last few weeks the connection drops for anything from half hour up to 2 days on one weekend, in actual fact the first month i had it, it was perfect no problems at all.

I must also get round to upgrading the speed, i am getting the very basic 512k down at the moment (even though i signed up to the 2 meg down..). Still though for general browsing it is grand, and anything i want downloaded, i just let it go at night (God bless that no download cap :D )

i have permanet as well, i am getting it from the Slieve Mish transmitter. Just wondering is anyone else getting odd dropouts?, in the last few weeks the connection drops for anything from half hour up to 2 days on one weekend, in actual fact the first month i had it, it was perfect no problems at all.

QUOTE]

When i was first installed, it worked for a day and then didn't for another 2 days ..but since then it was grand .... i get the occasional drop out for about 3-4 minutes...but to be honest i can live with that ...my only gripe really is lack of feedback from them, i have sent them a couple of mails but never get any answer back..and when i call them they just take my number down and say someone will get back to me ..but never do ..all in all its not an ideal support situation, but without permanet..my BB experience would be non-existant ..

Dudes, do ye get the dropouts when its windy and especially if its windy after its showered. Do ye have any trees with leaves on them in Kerry by any chance ?????

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Dudes, do ye get the dropouts when its windy and especially if its windy after its showered. Do ye have any trees with leaves on them in Kerry by any chance ?????

I have a clear LOS and i get the occasional drop-outs whether its raining,windy or beautifully sunny ... i don't think its weather dependent. Although i am about 7-8 miles away from the transmitter (as the crow flies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chaperone

Robxxx7 wrote:
    I have a clear LOS and i get the occasional drop-outs whether its raining,windy or beautifully sunny ... i don't think its weather dependent. Although i am about 7-8 miles away from the transmitter (as the crow flies)

The permanet transmitter can ONLY transmit no more than 15km from the base station. That is the terms of their license as we were told by two guys from Comreg who were doing spot checks in kerry. It seems that we as a subscriber were not permitted to have a service as they were breaking the license they had. Now I do not have any service and the guys said that there were shutting down any customers they found operating outside the 15km service area. I am now down €145 and no service. Three of my neighbours were also targeted. We have contacted Permanet and after 3 weeks still have not received any reply. Its a case of look (and check)before you leap

Its amazing how the SAME Comreg people will show no interest in the pairgains or rotten telephone lines that are all around them and will fuly support eircom in their extortion efforts for 12k dialup speeds. ....but I did warn a few of ye about that "18 miles comment" above did I not !!!!!

Nor is anyone else using that spectrum within 30 miles so who grassed up Permanet to Comreg then eh !!!???

Why does Comreg not enforce the 5.8Ghz rules in Dublin with such professionalism ?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Speaking of Comreg I emailed them 2 weeks ago and not a peep back from them. Professional chaps.

Sponge Bob wrote:

Nor is anyone else using that spectrum within 30 miles so who grassed up Permanet to Comreg then eh !!!???

QUOTE]

Well i had heard that allegedly, some competitor had been busy snipping cables up near the transmitter and the ISP has had to go and install cameras to keep an eye of things ... as i said allegedly and all that sort of thing

I just got some Good news by PM for those affected. Comreg are acutely aware of the importance to Irish rural dwellers of continous quality Broadband and its ongoing availability. They profoundly regret this loss of service. As Comreg _themselves_ are directly responsible for this outage and as they do appreciate the importance of Broadband to rural dwellers in Ireland they will personally intervene on a case by case basis for those affected ,with eircom, to get lines fixed up to carry DSL as long as you are serviced by a broadband exchange . If the lines are pairgained they will get them off as a matter of urgency and clear other faults .

If you are not on a Broadband exchange they will intervene to get you service if you have line of sight to one of the following listed hills with a LARGE eircom tower and 3.5Gzh equipment installed already. While eircom are not restricted in terms of distance (its a national licence) you must be within 10km because their equipment works to there.

contact bobby.hannon@comreg.ie who is co-ordinating the relief efforts for those affected by this Comreg forced outage or dermot.nolan@comreg.ie

The masts with 3.5Ghz gear that provides BB to 10km are .

Athlone
    Ballina
    Ballinrobe
    Ballyguile
    Ballyhoura
    Ballylane
    Ballyspellan
    Barnesmore
    Beenageeha
    Belmullet
    Bralee
    Bweeng
    Campile
    Cape Clear
    Cappagh
    Cappard
    Capparoe
    Cappataggle
    Carrickmacross
    Carrigadoon
    Castlebar
    Castleblaney
    Churchfield
    City West
    Clifden
    Coolmine
    Crohaun
    Cullenagh
    Curraross
    Dame Court
    Drogheda
    Dromgold
    Drumkeeran
    Dundalk
    Dungloe
    Dunmurry Hill
    Edenderry
    Falcarragh
    Farnaght
    Fourknocks
    Gallow’s Hill
    Glencoum Wood
    Glengoole
    Glenteige
    Harristown
    Inchee
    Kilbride
    Kildorrery
    Killorglin
    Kilmuckridge
    Knock Airport
    Knockaneagh
    Knockanimpha
    Knockanore
    Knockgour
    Knocknaboul
    Lisnabin
    Mallow
    Mervue
    Minnaun
    Mongorry Hill
    Mount Oriel
    Mulmosog
    Navan
    Nenagh
    Portlaoise
    Roches Street
    Rossmore Bog
    Scartbaun
    Shanettra
    Shelmaliere
    Slieve Glah
    Slieveboy
    Slievemish
    Thurles
    Tuam
    Virginia
    Whitechurch
    Woodtown
    Youghal

If neither DSL nor Fixed Wireless is available you could try Irish Wan to find out if you can roll your own (extend and share a DSL connection from the nearest town or village ) .

see

http://www.irishwan.ie/forum/

HTH

Well i feel sorry for us rural dwellers .... I guess that one reason why people went with the wireless BB service is because conventional BB is either not enabled yet/ or out of range from the exchange.

Add to that i guess if us rural dwellers had to use Eircom FWA we would then get stuck with the huge installation charge for this service (a service Eircom hardly advertise or maybe even support ?)

Not a good day ..... but i guess some small minded person somewhere didn't like the competition and grassed them up.... well atleast i'm not affected ..but i do feel for those who are ...

Thanks for the info Spongebob .... But i have to say i have even less time for Comreg than i did before ..... give us proper BB

Seems permanet now have their licence extended, check out their website.

The north kerry transmitter is at least 30 km radius now.

Who-hoo, I'm legal....

Had a few issues this week.

Irish Isp Test Results - ch750536 - 15/10/2006 17:04:00 IST
    Summary Last 10 Results:

Date Download Speed Upload Speed Qos RTT Maxpause
    2006-10-15 17:03:45 376 kbps (47KB/s) 1204 kbps (150 KB/s) 40% 51 ms 611 ms
    2006-10-12 20:01:52 353 kbps (44KB/s) 1218 kbps (152 KB/s) 32% 58 ms 661 ms
    2006-10-12 20:01:20 226 kbps (28KB/s) 1172 kbps (147 KB/s) 10% 59 ms 798 ms
    2006-10-10 15:17:16 2171 kbps (271KB/s) 1121 kbps (140 KB/s) 45% 44 ms 225 ms
    2006-10-10 13:28:23 2642 kbps (330KB/s) 1057 kbps (132 KB/s) 77% 47 ms 392 ms
    2006-10-10 13:17:47 2652 kbps (331KB/s) 1141 kbps (143 KB/s) 93% 43 ms 146 ms
    2006-10-09 09:50:28 2480 kbps (310KB/s) 985 kbps (123 KB/s) 92% 46 ms 236 ms
    2006-10-09 09:44:04 2230 kbps (279KB/s) 934 kbps (117 KB/s) 67% 51 ms 153 ms
    2006-10-04 20:59:17 1346 kbps (168KB/s) 1048 kbps (131 KB/s) 43% 40 ms 329 ms
    2006-10-04 09:03:28 2577 kbps (322KB/s) 1005 kbps (126 KB/s) 58% 63 ms 133 ms

Total Averages:, 1705 kbps (213 KB/s),1088kbps (136KB/s),56 %, 50 ms, 368 ms

http://www.irishisptest.com/

Just to keep all up to date.

Had very few issues so far this year, had to phone them once I think.

Other than that, service as advertised, more than happy with them.

have to say here also... all things going well and service has improved greatly ... can't say they last time i had to contact them ... been very good service all in all

After comreg changes some 3.5Ghz rules they will be allowed to increase their range from c.10km to c.15km any day now so if you know anyone on the fringes its a good time to get back onto Permanet.

It will furthermore mean a better signal at 9.9km if you are just inside as it is .

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    After comreg changes some 3.5Ghz rules they will be allowed to increase their range from c.10km to c.15km any day now so if you know anyone on the fringes its a good time to get back onto Permanet.

It will furthermore mean a better signal at 9.9km if you are just inside as it is .
    They changed this some time back, its on their website (on the map, circles are much bigger)

Advertisement