Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multiple Users PDF conversion solutions?

• 09-05-2006 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

OK, may not be totally suited to this forum, but hey.

Need to bounce a problem of ye, which no doubt plenty of people have come up with before. I'm looking for a multi-user any-document-to-PDF solution. One guy has requested that his entire department be given a PDF creator solution, and I'm investigating the alternatives to Adobe.
    As best I can see it, there are a few ways of doing this;

1. Install PDF creation software on each individual machine. Not ideal, but not impossible. I'd guess though that the wigs would like Adobe over PDFCreator, so then cost is a factor, as is keeping track of licences.

2. Install a PDF Printer on the print server. This is the ideal solution if it comes at the right price. Just connect the users to the printer, et voila! Only problem is, I can't find one. Anything remotely like what I want requires proprietary client software to access the server, or uses an add-in for Office.

3. Install an Email-to-PDF converter. Users send email to an address with their doc attached. Server converts and sends converted doc back. This solution is almost as ideal as 2., but I can't find one. I've seen similar for OCR apps, so someone must have written this? I could probably code something in PHP which polls a POP mailbox and does this, but I'm going to guess that someone's already done this grunt work for me. :)

4. Code a webpage on the intranet site. User uploads document, server converts and returns. Not difficult, but not perfect. Support on this would be the problem.

The two main issues are volume and cost. The department in question could be converting up to 1000 documents per week.

Any replies would be most helpful :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You could install a virtual PDF printer on each machine, something like PrimoPDF (which is free, but not for commercial use unfortunately). I think there's a few available free for commercial use too, like CutePDF, but i think that also requires ghostscript to be installed separately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I would love a solution like this!
    I've been thinking of a similar thing and have been experimenting with PDF995, but it requires local installation too. :(

If you find anything, especially PDF print server related can you post it here :)
    I've found http://www.pdf-server.net today, but am not sure about it yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pdfcreator - zero cost

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator ( 0.9 is better than 0.8 )

Use the autoname and autosave options so they just print and it goes to a named folder Or they can right click on many documents and convert that way.

You could write a macro to print to the PDF creator printer and assign it to a button on their menus

It has a server option (new to 0.9) but I haven't tried it out yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Aha, I knew about PDFCreator, but it was a second choice - purely as I mentioned because there'd be a stigma about it. But a server option; More investigation must be done.

The closest things I've found thus far are:
    Doc2PDF - Not the prettiest of things, and I couldn't get it to work. But if it does work for you, then it could be good.
    Adlib Express - $2500 for the basic server. Downloaded and installed a trial, and it does pretty much what I'm looking for (email to pdf conversion). Also has add-ons for extra functionality which increase the cost exponentially. So it's the leader but it's too costly to give up the search now. :)

Cheers for the reples guys, keep 'em coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

check out jaws pdf software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

For option 1 - see here for 25 license pack works out @ $7.96/PC, for 50 works out @ $6.98/PC

For option 2 - see here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

CutePDF is much better than PDF Creator imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Try PDF Factory. I found it last night and it seems perfect for what I need, and also for what you need.

If comes in a server version that fully supports network shared printers :)

Advertisement