Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Battery Charging

Options
  • 09-05-2006 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a weird one.

I've a 2004 VW Caddy van that had a flat battery the other day. Not really a problem as I called VW assistance and they came and jump started the van. All went well until today when the battery went flat. I called the assistance folks again and they said they would come and jump start me again. I explained that it would be better if they took the van as obviously there is some problem that is draining the battery (There are no accessories fitted, no lights left on etc etc). VW assistance said that if the tow truck arrives and starts the van then there is no need to tow it and I should book it with the local VW dealer - sounds reasonable. However, I rang the local dealer and they cannot look at the van for another two weeks:eek: In the meantime I'm expected to keep calling VW assistance:mad: So I rang the VW inporter and here's what I was told : "The VW battery is a 'slow charge' battery and can only be recharged correctly by a VW dealer" WTF?

This is the first I've ever heard of these batteries (should they exist) - has anyone else ever heard of such a battery or is it nonsense as I suspect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Old or new model?
    Do you have a phone kit fitted?
    Sometimes there wired badly and can drain the battery.
    How long was the van sitting up before it first devolped battery problems?
    Does it do much milage?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't drive the van. No phone kit. Only sitting up overnight. Mileage is about 40,000k. I suspect that it could be something like the glow plug relay but whats bugging me is this 'Slow Charge' that only a VW dealer can do! Whats that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

IIRC "deep cycle" batteries need to be slow charged. No idea what a deep cycle battery is or whether you'd find one in a VW Caddy :)

Even if it does need slow charging, I highly doubt whether it requires any special equipment that only a VW dealer would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

BrianD3 wrote:

Even if it does need slow charging, I highly doubt whether it requires any special equipment that only a VW dealer would have.
    Thanks, Brian,

Thats what I thought. The usual VW customer service:rolleyes:

I think I'll have the battery removed and put on charge overnight and see if the fault persists.

Advertisement