Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Loans / Loans in general

Options
  • 09-05-2006 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Just a few quick questions.

What's the best way to apply for a student loan, is AIB the best?
    Would it be possible for me to get €1600-2000 and pay it back when I finish college in 2 years? (my mother would act as guarantor)

I need that amount of money asap and a student loan seems to be the only option. I will be looking for summer work but I don't want to be paying every penny of my wages into the bank so the only time I'll be able to pay it back is 2 years down the line when I've finished college and got a job.

Any other info would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You already posted it where it should be, give it a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

Ruu wrote:
    You already posted it where it should be, give it a chance.
    I just need it sorted as soon as possible and it would get more views here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

You'll be paying a higher interest rate than if you just got out a loan and starting paying it back straight away, which is what I would say is the best way to do it. You could pay it back at around €40 a week or something small like that, if you didn't wait 2 years to start paying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ulster Bank do an interest free overdraft of up to 650 euro for a year or so if you have a student account with them, and have good rates on student loans for higher amounts
    So I'd recommend them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

Tony Danza wrote:
    You'll be paying a higher interest rate than if you just got out a loan and starting paying it back straight away, which is what I would say is the best way to do it. You could pay it back at around €40 a week or something small like that, if you didn't wait 2 years to start paying it.
    Cheers. Would I be paying much more interest? I think APR for a student loan is currently 8.72% with AIB. Also, is it possible to pay a lump sum of the loan off at once or do you have to pay an equal amount per week/month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I went with AIB when I was in college and they gave me a great service. I applied one afternoon and had 3000 at lunchtime the next day :D.

And yes you can pay a lump sum off whenever you have it. I think you can agree a time when you can start paying it back...18 months or something, can't remember, go into any AIB and talk to student officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

I had to get a student loan for a car last summer.

I got eight grand to cover the car, insurance and tax. I had a great summer job so I got to pay the loan off pretty quickly.

I got my loan with AIB as they seemed to be the best at the time. Try to negociate the interest down a bit if you can. trust me it helps.

I have a friend who is becoming a barraster in Dub at the mo he has a loan of 25k a year for 3 years. banks have no problem putting off the repayment date but they'll make you pay for it in interest. you may have to pay as much as 25% extra off the original loan when you come back to repay it.

If I was you I'd try the credit union or AIB.
    Best of luck hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yep,

AIB or Credit Union, I had loans with both and they were very flexible about how much I paid back each month and there was no problem paying the laons off early either :)

I got very good service from both but AIB was slightly friendlier (probably because I actively banked with them, whereas I hadn't been near my credit union in years until I approached them for the loan:D ).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

With you mother as guarantor you will def get the loan , just go in and fill out the form and get your mother to sign it and decide on what to pay back, I got a loan out for america last year and nearly paid off now I got 2700 out, not to bad paying it off every month slowly it gets payed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 John101

last summer i was in many parts of south and south east asia. i used my boi credit card and only got charged when there was no money in the card. ie when i had exhausted all the funds i had put into it before i left.

• Advertisement
Advertisement