Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD/PVR/PC setup

• 09-05-2006 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

The house is currently in the process of renovation, and there are a number of things that I have to ask before I go buying equipment.

The requirements are:

2 LCD's HD
    1 PVR
    2 DVD players
    Network TV/PVR to PC (upstairs)(ethernet?)
    FTA satellite (Astra, Hotbird), Terrestrial - to 1 TV + PC

In relation to the TVs I've been (one in the 32' and one in the 26'-28' range) looking at Philips Cineos (32') and Samsung R7's (26') and Sony Bravia S-series. Been browsing avforums for a while but it's hard to nail down a telly to actually get - given different opinions.

PVR is completely open, hard to find one with ethernet built in, but ideally it would be hooked up to the PC in some shape or form. Any good particular models/makes in the 80GB - 160GB range?

PC needs good TV/FM/Sat card for Windows XP HE. Hauppage?

Cabling is currently going in - splitting the Satellite between bedroom and dining room(26' going there), splitting terrestrial coax similar. Running 10/100/1000 between dining and bedrooms (just in case).

It's all a bit messy, what is the best way of hooking everything up? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I am scoping my solution out at the moment also, but one piece of advice is that you run CAT5e or CAT6 to all rooms if you can. You won't regret it. Running AV cabling for satellite and cable TV is also a good idea (I didn't put enough AV in my house)

All the TVs you mention are good. Avoid going too deep into opinion reading or you end up not reaching a conclusion. Just take into consideration that if all have their supporters, they are likely to be good. Then make your own choice.

For the PVR solution with Ethernet, KISS has a few products, with the DP600 being the latest (and the only one with full PVR functionality). Previous products had user-friendliness issues. I am not sure about the DP-600, but if there will be less tech savvy users around, that will be an issue with any converged route you take...

Hauppage is good indeed.

One of the big issues is if you will centralise the server/players/sat receivers in a cupboard and have media players around the house, or if you are going for "distributed architecture" with reception/storage/processing capabilities at the point of listening/viewing.

It is a tortuous route with very few clear answers. Whatever you choose it is likely to be obsolete by this time next year, so top of the range purchases are likely to depreciate very fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gavinsblog

Thanks Zynks. Yes the guy wanted to put in CAT5, so im waiting for him to get CAT6, but it looks like the KISS product only supports 10/100 at the mo anyway.:)

The DP600 is a good price on Komplett though.

In relation to a card for the PC, can I get a PCI card that will take both satellite and terrestrial coax? Where is the best place to buy Hauppage products?

Things do go obsolete fast, but with the main investment being the TV's I don't expect them to go 'obsolete' really. Once they work, support legacy, and HD, there will be little need to change them for a good few years yet!

I may just go for a PVR + DVD burner, and move to a wired solution at a later date. What PVR is known for user friendliness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

I'm not sure the DP-600 counts as a PVR. The "HD" is for high definition, not hard-drive. i.e. I don't think you can use it for pausing or recording TV.

I have the DP-558 (80GB version), using it a couple of months now. Works well, but it's not a perfect product. UI design is average to poor, manual is bad but you can find the info you need on websites, the online part such as the EPG and webradio is occasionally down. If you read other websites you'll see lots of probs with Kiss products, seems to take them a couple of releases of firmware to ge things sorted:). Still, got it for a good price and very happy with it.

Advertisement