Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch Fluid?

Options
  • 09-05-2006 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Recently had to put some clutch fluid in my reservoir in an 'emergency' because I have a very slow leak somewhere in the system and haven't had the time yet to source the leak.
    The thing is my car recommends to use Dot 3 fluid but the garage only had one type of fluid, it says on the container that it 'meets/or exceeds requirements for Dot3/Dot4 fluid'. Is it fine to leave this small amount (maybe 50ml) in the system or should I flush and replace the clutch system hydraulic fluid with Dot 3 fluid.
    Any suggestions? Thanks in advance and please excuse my ignorance if this is really common knowledge stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

AFAIK if it meets/exceeds the requirements then it's ok to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭richardson2525

crosstownk wrote:
    AFAIK if it meets/exceeds the requirements then it's ok to use.

Yeah I was thinking this too, but then I started to think is the fact that there are different grades of hydraulic fluid mixed together in the system going to cause any problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I think this is OK as Dot 3 and 4 are compatible fluids. Now if you'd used Dot 5that would be a different story as Dot 5 is chemically different to Dot 3 and 4 and I believe it would be big no-no to mix incompatible fluids.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just to confuse this even more, Dot 3 and 4 are not compatible with Dot 5 but are compatible with Dot 5.1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

And theres no such thing as clutch fluid, its brake fluid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement