Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Conference

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Anything to back this up? Because as I understand it, Brain Training - one of the biggest sellers on the DS and the game that has succeeded in marketing the DS to the older generations (and the game I chose as an example of a "cheap and cheerful" game) - took a team of just 9 developers 90 days to complete. Unless these nine developers were getting paid in pure gold, I can't see how this costs the same as a larger, AAA title.

He's talking about cost to the consumer. Nintendo have a record of rereleasing old games and releasing content-light games at full price with huge profit margins for themselves.

Brain age is actually an exception to this at about half the price of a normal DS game. Still for true experimental low budget low cost titles Xbox Live Marketplace is the way to go.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

edit: apologies; in my rush I forgot to factor in the fact that burnout is an old game by DS standards... ok.. /me blushes.

but yeah, he meant cheap for the customer, not developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

steviec wrote:
    He's talking about cost to the consumer. Nintendo have a record of rereleasing old games and releasing content-light games at full price with huge profit margins for themselves.
    Ah - my mistake. Apologies, Projectmayhem. This is pretty true, the cost savings haven't been passed onto consumers yet. And this isn't helped by the fact that Nintendo of Europe are total dicks towards European gamers.
    steviec wrote:
    Brain age is actually an exception to this at about half the price of a normal DS game. Still for true experimental low budget low cost titles Xbox Live Marketplace is the way to go.
    I disagree. Certainly, there is a lot of stuff on Xbox Live Marketplace that is very low-budget, low-cost. But experimental? From what I've seen of the games on there, they tend to fall into either the match-three puzzle genre, or old-arcade-gameplay-with-tarted-up-graphics genre. Not much in terms of "experimentation". Certainly not as much as is hanging out in my DS games library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

ObeyGiant wrote:
    I disagree. Certainly, there is a lot of stuff on Xbox Live Marketplace that is very low-budget, low-cost. But experimental? From what I've seen of the games on there, they tend to fall into either the match-three puzzle genre, or old-arcade-gameplay-with-tarted-up-graphics genre. Not much in terms of "experimentation". Certainly not as much as is hanging out in my DS games library.

Thats true, not yet. But Live Arcade does have dozens of small independent game developers signed up who are getting a chance they would never have had otherwise to develop console games. Good things will come of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Super smash bros brawl has been announced. most suprisingly is the inclusion of Snake from mgs, with box to hide in and all, as a playable character.

not until 2007 too

linky: http://uk.media.revolution.ign.com/media/748/748545/vids_1.html

also seems mario galaxy wont be launch either

EDIT: oh yea.......KID ICARUS WILL BE IN THERE TOO

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Super smash bros brawl has been announced. most suprisingly is the inclusion of Snake from mgs, with box to hide in and all, as a playable character.

not until 2007 too

linky: http://uk.media.revolution.ign.com/media/748/748545/vids_1.html

also seems mario galaxy wont be launch either

EDIT: oh yea.......KID ICARUS WILL BE IN THERE TOO

There's an excellent interview in eurogamer. Hurrah for a new kid icarus game!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGlvLQzvJNA

Dunno how that compares to the other booths; I know E3 involves long queues regardless, but if it's a two minute walk from one end to the other, just imagine how long a wait it is?!!
    The lads at the back might get there just in time for launch!

Advertisement