Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike issue

Options
  • 09-05-2006 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I bought a 1990 Suzuki motorbike last week from a dealer in Dublin. It came with a 3 month warranty which covered the engine and gearbox. The day after it was delivered I took it for a test drive and it broke down and refused to start.

I was told when i was buying the bike that it would be fully serviced and ready to go.

The evening it broke down I had it shipped back to the shop for their mechanic to have a look at it. He told me this morning that the over-flow from the carbs were connected together (shouldn't be) and the spark plugs were fouled due to my inability to drive or start the bike properly !! :rolleyes: which I took great offence to.

I drove up to them today to see if this could be sorted easily and all I was greeted with is hostility. I was offered my money back by the mechanic, which i accepted and then when the owner came out it was a different story.

I told him the bike was not sold for the purpose for which it was intended and he proceeded to abuse me by saying I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about.

What I need to know is if I am intitled to my money back , which I think I am.

The owner also said that he won't give me the intire amount back because the bike was already registered to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What dealer was this?
    If you won't name directly could you pm me? I've a bad experience with a dealer but not as bad as this

Did you quote the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980? If not, I suggest you read up on it

A little legal knowledge goes a long way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

micmclo wrote:
    What dealer was this?
    If you won't name directly could you pm me? I've a bad experience with a dealer but not as bad as this

Did you quote the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980? If not, I suggest you read up on it

A little legal knowledge goes a long way

I did quote it and I was told I don't have a clue all the way out the door. The place is called "Mac's Motorcycles" and they are in Inchicore (D8).

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ok, I can accept that this dealer doesnt seem to be handling this very well. Did he offer to repair and put the bike right, and look after any future problems? Or were you told to just naff off? Second hand bikes *can* give teething problems, what matters is that you can get sorted. However, if you dont think the bike was serviced as promised I can see why you dont want to trust the guy with a repair.

Staying calm is a big help in a situation like this, even if they are going off the deep end.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Hey K-TRIC
    I've been to that place a few times to view bikes and all I can say is that
    its like trying to get blood out of a stone!! Firstly, theres never anyone there
    to ask questions about the bikes(seem to be hiding),when someone does appear they seem reluctant to sell the bikes! I was interested in buying one
    of the trailbikes and asked could I test drive it around the yard,they agreed
    but unfortunately could not get it started, I left my number with them to ring
    me whenever they could get it going but they never rang!!
    I went back a few weeks later but the same story!! I was dissappointed because I had only seen this particular bike (Cagiva) at their shop and really wanted to purchase it. I talked with them some more and told them that if I could test drive it that I would leave a deposit with a view to buying it!Again, left my name and number hoping to get a reply and
    nothing!!!I was pissed off to say the least!!
    I also noticed that for a long period of time very few of the bikes have shifted! Not a good sign!!

I'd be really interested to know how you got on with them, Good luck!!

Advertisement