Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DJ Mix CDs with Vinyl/MP3 What methods?

• 09-05-2006 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭

I am interested in making a mix cd on my PC.

currently i buy vinyl, mainly because the drum & bass producers haven't really embraced the mp3 thingy much.

the mixer goes into an audio interface & i record using ableton.

i was wondering what methods everyone here as a dj used to make up mix
    cds.

and how to master also! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Don't do much of that stuff myself but Ableton Live sounds like a good start. You can do a rough job of mastering with Live. If you want to do a better job you could buy mastering software like Izotope Ozone or for a really good job send it off to a professional company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

You want to master a set? Is that such a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

i think most dj's perform some kind of mastering on the final audio recording.. atleast when vinyl is used, maybe i'm wrong but some mixes just sound too good to be analog.
    i record from vinyl, but some of the original sound is lost, i don't have a Digital output on the mixer (although i don't know if this would make an improvement)
    probably check out the IzoTope Ozone.
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 rexx le gaff

pro tools is great for mastering, or cubase is alright to
    i recomend send it of tho, to get mastered these people master stuff night
    and day, so they know how to getting sounding realy crisp
    i dont know how much a mix will costed, i know i got one track masterd before
    and it cost me 50euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i was wondering what methods everyone here as a dj used to make up mix
    cds.

and how to master also! :)
    i only really bother recording mixes from vinyl to the pc (using sound forge)
    so long as you're careful with gains, manage to keep all of the tracks at the same level and have your recording levels set at a decent volume (not quite high enough to clip), there isn't all that much need for mastering. maybe just a quick tweak of the overall volume.
    if you seriously fudge a mix, it's not all that hard to redo it in SF. just drop a marker directly after the **** up and skip tune A back to before you started mixing tune B in, then come back and chop the dodgy bit out when you've finished recording. (not that i ever have cause to do that... ¬_¬)

i made a guide for accurately spilitting a mix into tracks and then burning it ages ago, search is down at the moment though...

dunno if any of that makes sense to anyone other than me...

• Advertisement
Advertisement