Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane

• 09-05-2006 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭

Four years ago, Roy Keane went home in a huff from Japan and divided the nation. Tonight, he has a testimonial in Old Trafford which is being broadcast live on RTE2 and it seems that everybody wants to jump on the bandwagon. Has everybody forgiven and forgotten? Personally, I was disgusted at his behaviour in Japan but I always wanted him back in the Irish team as I believe the best players should play. However, at the back of my mind there is still a bit of anger towards him, especially when I think back to Japan and what could have happened. What do you all think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I hope this thread doesn't turn to chaos....
    I'm glad he's getting his testimonial, but wish he had a better exit from United than the one he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

another roy keane/japan thread, oh goody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

2002 called, and they're sick and tired of roy keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Let's just keep it to testimonial related stuff!

Thanks a million Roy for your service to Manchester United. A great captain and leader of men. A proud Irishman who always does his own thing - best of luck to him tonight, hope it goes well and he scores for each side!

Fair play to Roy!Has to be one of the best footballers Ireland has ever produced!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Absolute legend....testimonial well deserved....great service to Utd!

Fair play to Roy!Has to be one of the best footballers Ireland has ever produced!

:D Best IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is he keeping the cash though?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

No, I think he's said he will administer it to charity in his own time. He doesn't want the fanfare associated with the handing over of the oversized novelty cheque AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

another roy keane/japan thread, oh goody.

One of the best mid-fielders ever. Tonight is a night he earned through honest hard work and great football. Good luck to him.......from a Liverpool Fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

think he will make a good manager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

smashey wrote:
    Four years ago, Roy Keane went home in a huff from Japan and divided the nation

get over it

Oh, Keano's fukcing magic,
    He wears a magic hat,
    And when he saw Old Trafford,
    He said I fancy that,
    He didn't sign for Arsenal,
    Or Blackburn cos they're shtie,
    He signed for Man United,
    'Cos they're fukcin dynamite.

:D Love it!

YNWA getting a nice reception from the united fans.

Knew a L'pool fan would taint this thread :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Mossy Monk wrote:
    get over it

I was just expressing what was going through my mind.

Fergie said earlier that Keane was the best player he managed at United and I certainly wouldn't dispute that.

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Knew a L'pool fan would taint this thread :p

In too good a mood to be offended by that. Must have something to do with Cardiff next saturday. :rolleyes:

He he, it was said in jest mate!

Strange the way they have segregated the celtic and united fans. Hardly going to be a hot spot for trouble.

p_larkin99 wrote:
    He he, it was said in jest mate!

Knew that..tis grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Strange the way they have segregated the celtic and united fans. Hardly going to be a hot spot for trouble.
    i was in manchester at the weekend and was told a good few of the bars were closing early because of the amount of celtic fans coming down from scotland

county wrote:
    i was in manchester at the weekend and was told a good few of the bars were closing early because of the amount of celtic fans coming down from scotland

why? I am sure eirenhoy will be here to post up his propaganda on how great the Celtic supporters are. :D

Didnt think Celtic had a bad reputation. Baring the old firm matches i havent heard of Celtic fans causing trouble.

county wrote:

Seems a bit silly, i can't imagine they'll all just go straight home....night out in Manc is class! The bars would have made a good bit from it too

It does look good thought the way they have em segregated, the sea of green and white and the sea of red!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I was in Manchester yesterday and I have not heard of any pubs closing, in fact they are going to make plenty on a quiet May Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday.

i think its to do with the sheer numbers of celtic fans down for the game plus to the stereotypical view that celtic have a pro-IRA and sectarian following,this is the views i heard from a few people(bar workers) in town at the weekend

these are not my views,i am just telling you what i heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

"For Keane, though, his tournament ended with that game. I hit a pass to him that was intercepted by one of the Juventus players, and Roy felt he had to make a tackle on Zinedine Zidane to stop him starting a counter-attack. He was yellow-carded, and knew there and then that he would miss the final. I remember his eyes when he looked at me after that tackle.

'It's your f***ing fault that I'm going to miss the final,' he said. It was tough to hear, of course, but I didn't care too much. That was the way he worked. Things were never his fault."

- Jesper Blomqvist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Is this Solskjaers first game back? Managed to fall asleep for most of the first half.

bohsman wrote:
    Is this Solskjaers first game back? Managed to fall asleep for most of the first half.
    no he came on as a sub in the carlton game

1-0 utd:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

2002 = past
    tonight = present.

let it go, ok he may not of been right/wrong to walk out in japan but let the great player that he is have his night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Oh, Keano's fukcing magic,
    He wears a magic hat,
    And when he saw Old Trafford,
    He said I fancy that,
    He didn't sign for Arsenal,
    Or Blackburn cos they're shtie,
    He signed for Man United,
    'Cos they're fukcin dynamite.

:D Love it!

There's an alternative version of that song to do with his 'loyalty' that gets sung when Rovers play Cork City, mightn't go down too well in this thread though. ;)

Anyway, all that's been done to death. For what it's worth I think he deserves the chance to say goodbye to United fans properly, even if I can't stomach him.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I remember his eyes when he looked at me after that tackle.

Bet he still has nightmares about that now!

Atmosphere at the game sounds class, always good banter between Utd and Celtic fans!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Keane, I really can't understand why a testimonial is live on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Cant believe they didnt give him a penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

How great was it to see Keane and Scholes play in midfield again? Classic. Great night, wish I coulda been there.

Just to see Keane back in a utd shirt again...i wouldn't mind of of those scarves, half utd/half celtic.

How great was it to see Keane and Scholes play in midfield again? Classic. Great night, wish I coulda been there.
    true, i wish i stayed over for it,looked a great night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I was actually crying at the end. This guy is my hero. I have so much respect for what he done at United. Very few players could be capable of having such an emotionally charged night as that. Shearer being one of few others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

great night for keane, a fitting way to end his utd career, he's earned it.

with regards to the first poster, roy keane got us to the wc and as dumphy pointed out, was proved right as the genesis report confirmed what keane said (in a more polite manner :p ) keane wanted to play in that world cup more than anyone.

tonight was his night. 70000 + all the vips out to send him off. you could tell he was hating all the attention :D but at the same time loving every second of it. was disappointed with the booing for g.neville from celtic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

great night all round it was good to see him in the united jersey again

thanks roy:)

smemon wrote:
    . was disappointed with the booing for g.neville from celtic.
    didnt see that,i know the utd fans were booing the celtic fans for singing you will never walk alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    "For Keane, though, his tournament ended with that game. I hit a pass to him that was intercepted by one of the Juventus players, and Roy felt he had to make a tackle on Zinedine Zidane to stop him starting a counter-attack. He was yellow-carded, and knew there and then that he would miss the final. I remember his eyes when he looked at me after that tackle.

'It's your f***ing fault that I'm going to miss the final,' he said. It was tough to hear, of course, but I didn't care too much. That was the way he worked. Things were never his fault."

- Jesper Blomqvist.

Fair play to Roy for keeping his cool. I'd probably have decked him and got sent off, Keane chose to go the other way and make sure Utd got to the final. Could'nt respect him more for either selfless act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

county wrote:
    didnt see that,i know the utd fans were booing the celtic fans for singing you will never walk alone

well that's only to be expected, in OT, liverpool arch enemies... it's like playing god save the queen in croker :D

it was only a minority but i picked it up so it must have been pretty loud. poor old ruud banned for the game! he said himself he would have liked to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

smemon wrote:
    was disappointed with the booing for g.neville from celtic.

Gary Neville is a red, is a red, is a red.
    Gary Neville is a red he hates scousers!

As regards the world cup, well there are two sides to that one, I know who I believe.

I hated the way Keane finished at Utd not even getting to say goodbye properly so this was a fitting and deserved night. The man is a complete legend to play 12 years at the very top at one club is the kind of feat that will be very difficult for any other player in the modern era to emulate again.

Ok cant resist it

1) he dragged Ireland to the world cup kicking and screaming e.g. the game against Holland Keane was the only Ireland player to turn up.

2) he comes from a professional setup at united was it too much to ask for a professional setup in the Ireland camp? instead of the here for the beer, last hurrah, lets claim a morale victory ethos that was operating with a lot of the senior players.

3) I saw an interview with Ferguson where he was talking about having a chat with Keane before he headed off for Saipan and how he asked Keane what he expected from the trip, Keane replied that he felt Ireland where capable of making the final and he would be dissapointed if they didnt make the semis. Fergie said he chuckled at this except Keane was dead serious. Thats the difference Keane wasnt happy to make it to the world cup he expected more for Ireland and couldnt bear seeing the way the campaign was being handled.

I personally think that was the best Irish squad ever and the way the draw opened up Ireland could quite realistically have made semis at least with Keane on board. Instead he was railroaded out for saying exactly what a good captain should have.

*sigh* end rant flame away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Instead he was railroaded out for saying exactly what a good captain should have.

*sigh* end rant flame away

:rolleyes:

I thought people were going to keep this on topic.

Keane was a legend for United and the night was fully deserved.
    His behaviour with Ireland is another story and another thread which I`m sure has been discussed to death here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Whether you are pro or anti Keane or agree or disagree with what he did when he did it is not relevant.
    The guy made massive sums of money since the early 90's doing something he enjoyed. He has moved on from what happened in the past and sure as hell isnt worried about what people think of him. I dont think that all these overpaid footballers deserve any of our sympathy or indeed deserve the amount of "airtime" they get.
    We must not forget that they live in a different world to us.
    Get over it, move on, he has.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

MrJoeSoap wrote:

- Jesper Blomqvist.
    I personally have never forgiven Jesper. I remember that pass. It certainly wasn't Roys fault because it was an atrocious hospital pass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

I was actually crying at the end. This guy is my hero. I have so much respect for what he done at United. Very few players could be capable of having such an emotionally charged night as that. Shearer being one of few others.
    same as me - Roy was even close - I am sure I saw a wet eye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Jaysus lads get the red blinkers off, he was a workhorse at best, more red cards than the rest of the team put together and just a plain old bully.

He walked out on his country when they needed him because hes too big for his boots. Man U f**ked him out people also seem to forget, why? because he thought he was bigger than the club.

Then to ad insult to injury (see Haalands leg) the NATIONal station shows his testimonial - shameful.

The best player of his generation me ar*e, the best player of his generation played his last game at the Bernabeu for Madrid at the weekend. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement