Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I was going to draft a detailed reply to you Bolbill, but then realised that you obviously know so little about football it would be a waste of my time so didn't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

There is talk that he may come back to Forest to manage us.

I have mixed feelings about it if it was to happen.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Just ignore BolBill. He has very little to contribute to this forum other than pointless, and poor wind ups.

As a United fan, it was great to see Roy back in the United jersey for one last time. The word closure comes to mind after what happened in November. He is an absolute legend in my eyes. United or Ireland will never be able replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Iago wrote:
    I was going to draft a detailed reply to you Bolbill, but then realised that you obviously know so little about football it would be a waste of my time so didn't bother.

Same as that.

Did anyone hear Strachan interviewed? He was asked what his memories of playing with Roy were to which he replyed "I just stayed out of his way". Classic Strachan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭tap28

He was a true pro. In the last two nights we are after seeing the two most influential players bow out of club football (the Frenchman is playing in the WC). I have the height of respect for both, how many game did they win by sheer force of personality and drive.

If all my money were at stake, I would pick Zidine.
    If my life were at stake, I would pick Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Iago, you're spot on BolBill just runs around posting on threads concerning Utd, Utd players and ex players, spouting the most ridiculous tripe you could ever see.

Roy Keane a workhorse, at least he gave me a good laugh today!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

There is talk that he may come back to Forest to manage us.

I hear this is a real runner, it would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BolBill wrote:
    Jaysus lads get the red blinkers off, he was a workhorse at best, more red cards than the rest of the team put together and just a plain old bully.

He walked out on his country when they needed him because hes too big for his boots. Man U f**ked him out people also seem to forget, why? because he thought he was bigger than the club.

Then to ad insult to injury (see Haalands leg) the NATIONal station shows his testimonial - shameful.

The best player of his generation me ar*e, the best player of his generation played his last game at the Bernabeu for Madrid at the weekend. :)
    Just done a "find previous posts" on your profile. :rolleyes: You really are a windup merchant aren't you? Although not a very good one at that. At least others put a bit of effort into their Trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It was a great night for an incredible player

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

BaZmO* wrote:
    Just done a "find previous posts" on your profile. :rolleyes: You really are a windup merchant aren't you? Although not a very good one at that. At least others put a bit of effort into their Trolling.

Seems to have worked in this thread anyway :)

Bye Bye Roy, in a year it'll be "Roy who?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

BolBill - are you Aldini98 on Foot.ie? If so, I think you've yet to get someone to agree with one of your posts on that site. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

BolBill wrote:

Surely you Liverpool fans with your renowned long lasting memories will never forget Roy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

BolBill wrote:

Not to encourage you too much in your musings ....but BolBill who? even now;)
    We're all here for a good time, not a long time.
    Ask the guy who retires at 65, did the company he worked for all his life miss him after a few weeks?

I'm not a United fan, but there aren't too many footballers names that will remain in conversation as long as Keano's.

BolBill wrote:

I reckon in a year it's be BolBill who? Trolls don't last too long on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭tap28

The Muppet wrote:
    Surely you Liverpool fans with your renowned long lasting memories will never forget Roy.

I'm a Liverpool fan and I have the height of respect for what Keane did at club and country level.

Please don't tar us all with the same brush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

and theres me thinking that nobody would take the bait .........

Had a look at Aldini on foot.ie. seems to know what hes talking about.

Its a shame that everyone has convieniently forgotten about him turning his back on his country and his awful treatment of his fellow Utd players, then again Man U fans aren't the brightest......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

smashey wrote:
    Fergie said earlier that Keane was the best player he managed at United and I certainly wouldn't dispute that.

Interesting that Ferguson said this AFTER he threw Keane out of Man U for disrupting the team and upsetting his authority!!

The facts of the matter are that Roy did not retire from Man Utd in glory and this testimonial was created as a pay-out clause and to paper over the very large cracks of his departure. It was worked out with both their legal teams.

Both Ferguson and Keane had good times together and at least didnt allow the bad end to cloud their history and enough time had passed so hads were cool and so there was nothing to disrupt the celebration last night. However, I'm sure under it all Roy was probably thinking: "Ferguson, the bastard".

However, I dont expect Stam, Van Nistelrooy, Beckham, etc to ever get back into Ferguson's good books or to see anything like a testimonial at Man Utd.

In terms of the match, its a pity the players didnt go all out with a 4-4 or something even if semi-fabricated with Roy getting a hat-trick. The game should have been a lot better given the occasion but a few players were takling it seriously, Richardson, MaManus, etc. Even the ref didnt get in on the act and 'award' Roy a penalty when one was half on.

redspider

Did Fergie have a few drinks before the match last night? He seemed a little drunk in his pre-match interview on RTE. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Keane seemed to enjoy himself last night. Despite my original post, I concur with the majority here in thinking he was a man you would want on any team, who always gave 100% and was able to inspire his team when things weren't going too well. Now, what are the chances of him lining out for Celtic tomorrow night against Newcastle in Alan Shearer's testimonial, given the history between them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

redspider wrote:
    However, I dont expect Stam, Van Nistelrooy, Beckham, etc to ever get back into Ferguson's good books or to see anything like a testimonial at Man Utd.

Probably something to do with the fact that you generally only get a testimonial after you have played at a club for ten years. Stam was there for 3 years, Ruud nearly 5 years and Beckham around 9.
    redspider wrote:
    In terms of the match, its a pity the players didnt go all out with a 4-4 or something even if semi-fabricated with Roy getting a hat-trick. The game should have been a lot better given the occasion but a few players were takling it seriously, Richardson, MaManus, etc. Even the ref didnt get in on the act and 'award' Roy a penalty when one was half on.

They definitely should have given that penalty. Would have been great to see Keane get one last night.

• Advertisement

BolBill wrote:
    Yeah, strange that even though you've admitted that you're Trolling, people still reply to your posts. But even stranger is the fact that you've admitted that you're Trolling. Not very clever.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    Did Fergie have a few drinks before the match last night? He seemed a little drunk in his pre-match interview on RTE.
    :D I was thinking the exact same thing last night. I'd already heard him being interviewed on the radio so kinda new what he was gonna say prematch. But he did seem to struggle with his words!
    redspider wrote:
    Interesting that Ferguson said this AFTER he threw Keane out of Man U for disrupting the team and upsetting his authority!!
    Fergie has always said it. And I'd doubt that too many people would disagree with his comments anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

the thing i never get about this whole Roy Keane thing is the lack of perspective. my view is that football is a game. its not real or serious in the grand scheme of things. its only got this much coverage coz football is so popular. it got more than the michelle smith incident and there was probably more in other sports that werent even covered coz if the lack of popularity. fact is, some sports dude fecked off home instead of playin a game of footy. nobody got hurt, nobody broke the law. thats all.

redspider wrote:

Why is that interesting? Is it becuase it is at odds with those pushing the conspiracy theory Keanes exit from OT.
    redspider wrote:
    The facts of the matter are that Roy did not retire from Man Utd in glory and this testimonial was created as a pay-out clause and to paper over the very large cracks of his departure. It was worked out with both their legal teams.

Would you have anything concreter to support those "facts" because they are at odds with my understanding of the situation?
    redspider wrote:
    Both Ferguson and Keane had good times together and at least didnt allow the bad end to cloud their history and enough time had passed so hads were cool and so there was nothing to disrupt the celebration last night. However, I'm sure under it all Roy was probably thinking: "Ferguson, the bastard".

I think we are all well aware that if Roy Keane though that of Fergie he would tell him irrespective of the consequences. I'm sure they both have the utmost respect for each other despite whatever difficulties they had in the last season of Keanes glorious manchester united career .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

The Muppet wrote:
    I think we are all well aware that if Roy Keane though that of Fergie he would tell him irrespective of the consequences. I'm sure they both have the utmost respect for each other despite whatever difficulties they had in the last season of Keanes glorious manchester united career .
    Exactly as we all know Roy is never shy to express his feelings

From the horses mouth
    "It was all very amicable and I certainly do not lose any sleep about it.

"I have met the manager on one or two occasions since and there is no problem."

Full articel From MEN
    Keane: No regrets over Reds exit
    Simon Stone
    ROY Keane maintains the abrupt decision to sever his ties with Manchester United was the right one.

The Irishman returned to Old Trafford for the first time since he left United in November on Tuesday night, with almost 70,000 turning up for his testimonial clash with Celtic.

Keane admitted he enjoyed the occasion far more than he had expected, but there was no sense of nostalgia from the 34-year-old, who has never been one prepared to let sentiment get in the way of his professional pride.

Advertisement your story continues below
    So, in the week when Ruud van Nistelrooy's United exit was virtually signed, sealed and delivered by Sir Alex Ferguson's boot when he ordered the Dutchman out of the team hotel on Sunday, Keane is adamant his equally startling exit was the best move all round.

Keane said: "It was bad timing in the sense I was injured, it was November and I couldn't sign for another club until January, but I agreed with the manager. It had come to an end.

"There is never a nice way to leave a club, especially one like United when I had been there for so long.

"But we both knew it was for the best and there is no doubt in my mind that is true.

Amicable

"It was all very amicable and I certainly do not lose any sleep about it.

"I have met the manager on one or two occasions since and there is no problem."

Wisely, Keane opted not to get too deeply embroiled in Ferguson's spat with Van Nistelrooy.

He did speak to the Dutchman over the weekend once it became clear Van Nistelrooy's presence was not welcome in the home dressing room at Old Trafford.

As one of the few senior club figures to stand up for Keane following his much-publicised MUTV rant in the aftermath of the embarrassing Premiership defeat at Middlesbrough, Van Nistelrooy has a special bond with the Irishman.

So, while eager not to take sides, Keane did offer the view that not everything is as it seems sometimes.

Keane said: "There are two sides to every story.

"Maybe one day we will find out what happened but I don't know.

"I always got on quite well with Ruud. He is still under contract to United and I wish him well."

Keane will now take a short break with his family before a meeting with the surgeon who carried out his hip operation will determine whether the 34-year-old will extend his career by one more year at Celtic.

Although the former United skipper insists he has made no firm decision either way, the indications are that he will listen to a body he has pushed through the pain barrier on more than one occasion during a stellar career.

Positive

"Everything has been positive at Celtic since I have been there but sometimes you have to do what you think is right," said Keane.

"I have a little bit of time to reflect on the situation but I am quite relaxed about things and I am sure the right decision will come along."

After declining the opportunity to go and watch United when the opportunity arose at the back end of the season, Keane suggested he might be buying a couple of season tickets next term.

With his amazing CV, a career in coaching or management beckons if that is the path he eventually wishes to take.

However he could just as easily settle for some time with wife Theresa and his five children, who accompanied him through the guard of honour at Old Trafford last night.

No matter what Keane chooses to do, United will always hold a special place in his affections and, for all their current turmoil, he insists the Red Devils are in safe hands.

"It was always going to be tough for United this season with Chelsea doing so well," he said.

"They did win the Carling Cup this season but I am sure the manager will say that is not enough for a club like United, so hopefully, they will bounce back next year.

"I will always have an interest in United and my heart will always be with the club. But that is life.

"I am sure there will be one or two players leaving and hopefully they will buy one or two. But the club is in very safe hands, I am sure of that."

The Muppet wrote:
    Why is that interesting? Is it because it is at odds with those pushing the conspiracy theory Keanes exit from OT.
    I think we are all well aware that if Roy Keane though that of Fergie he would tell him irrespective of the consequences.

I wonder what it must be like to live in your universe.

I dont know what your conspiracy theory is, but I'll stick with the points I made.

Roy Keane didnt want to leave Man Utd, did he?
    Or are you saying that he went voluntarily?
    If you do believe the latter, do you also swallow every bit of PR that you hear?

Roy did tell Fergie what he thought of him, when they parted their ways, I am sure about that, or is your hypothesis that it was an amicable divorce?

Granted, it was more amicable than Stam, Van Nistelrooy (will be) and Beckham, but its relative. It wasnt like the bust-up at Saipan, but Roy clearly wanted to stay. Ferguson thought that what he had done was too far and crossed a line, and in terms of his playing and the squad, Ferguson felt he could get by without him, although it is clear that his initial replacement with Fletcher clearly didnt work out. So, he off-loaded Roy.

Do you not accept that Ferguson off-loaded Roy, on a free transfer to Celtic?

Does anyone else live in "The Muppet" world ?!?!?

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

BolBill wrote:

I took the bait, 2 week ban.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

KdjaC wrote:
    I took the bait, 2 week ban.

kdjac

ZZZZZZZZZZiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggg.

redspider wrote:
    I wonder what it must be like to live in your universe.

I dont know what your conspiracy theory is, but I'll stick with the points I made.

WTF:confused:

In my universe you can't post unsubstiated rubbish as fact and expect not to be challenged on it. I take it your verbal attack on me is because you can not supply anything to back up the opinion which you posted as "fact" your words not mine.

redspider wrote:
    Roy Keane didnt want to leave Man Utd, did he?
    Or are you saying that he went voluntarily?
    If you do believe the latter, do you also swallow every bit of PR that you hear?

By" mutual consent" I beleve was the term used in the press release and until one of the parties involved says something different any other version of events is unsunstatiated rubbish.
    redspider wrote:
    Roy did tell Fergie what he thought of him, when they parted their ways, I am sure about that, or is your hypothesis that it was an amicable divorce?

Source????? Were you there or is that just more of your unsunstainated rubbish. They Obviously did not fall out. There would have been no testimonial if they had. If you heard Fergie interviewd last night you would have him comment on his and Roys identical temprements. There is definite respect between both parties.

I am not saying that there was no disagreement but Adults can have a disagreement or difference of opinion without resulting to a childish slanging match or a major long lasting falling out.

redspider wrote:
    Granted, it was more amicable than Stam, Van Nistelrooy (will be) and Beckham, but its relative. It wasnt like the bust-up at Saipan, but Roy clearly wanted to stay. Ferguson thought that what he had done was too far and crossed a line, and in terms of his playing and the squad, Ferguson felt he could get by without him, although it is clear that his initial replacement with Fletcher clearly didnt work out. So, he off-loaded Roy.

Do you not accept that Ferguson off-loaded Roy, on a free transfer to Celtic?

Crystal ball gazing are we????? If you have any source apart from your over active imagination post it . I dont have a problem with you holding that opinion but if you want to post it as "fact" in public at least support that "fact" with the source of your information. If you can't do that well then it is just unsubstainated rubbish.
    redspider wrote:
    Does anyone else live in "The Muppet" world ?!?!?

redspider

LOL Good man Play to the gallery like a spoilt child , All I asked you to do was to back up your post . I suppose I should be gataeful you got straight to the point and spared me from having to read through some long winded over elaborate rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SteM

county wrote:
    i was in manchester at the weekend and was told a good few of the bars were closing early because of the amount of celtic fans coming down from scotland

Just back from the game and you're dead right. It was a weird night in Manchester. We didn't get back into the city until 11:15ish and everywhere was either closed, severley limiting their numbers or telling people it was student night. We weren't in colours so got into a studentish bar eventually and were served until 1am but anyone in a jersey was out of luck it seemed. After that we went back to the hotel and the bar there was full of celtic fans complaining that they weren't being served anymore.

Great night at Old Trafford. I have been to some big games there against some top teams but haven't come across a better atmosphere. Celtic fans were given the whole of the north stand and the south east quadrant but were scattered all over the the ground mixed in with the home fans and I didn't see any trouble. I also didn't notice Gary Neville getting booed but may have missed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

While the last thing I want to do is get in the whole Roy Keane arguement, is The Muppet demanding someone back something up with sources?

Pass me the ironing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Its being widely reported that Van Nistelrooy was the only player that backed up Roy Keanes "rant" publicly,but I distinctly remember Alan Smith being interviewed after a match shortly afterwards saying that Keane was right to say what he said:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Since when do facts matter? It seems clear from this incident that Manchester United are a club in decline and that they'll be lucky to qualify for the UEFA cup next season...

;)

The Muppet wrote:
    In my universe you can't post unsubstiated rubbish as fact and expect not to be challenged on it.

By" mutual consent" I beleve was the term used in the press release and until one of the parties involved says something different any other version of events is unsunstatiated rubbish.
    Source?????
    They Obviously did not fall out. There would have been no testimonial if they had.
    LOL Good man Play to the gallery like a spoilt child

Well, well, well ....

You and I have been through a similar discussion in the past, and even when you are given sources you fail to comprehend. I wont claim to know what really goes on in your universe, but I will give an outline of my points one more try.

The reason why 'mutual consent' was quoted in the press articles at the time etc, was to convey that it was hardly real mutual consent. Below is a source, as is your requirement, although you can easily look these up yourself.

If you are waiting for them to say different then you will be waiting for a long time. Thats what agreements, termination clauses, contracts, etc, are all about and thats what PR is there to do, to paper over the cracks to make it appear as if its one big happy family.

The testimonial was a part of the termination agreement. See source and text below.

So, with all of what is written below, do you still think that Roy left Man Utd because he wanted to??

We do agree on one thing. And that is that whatever has happened, both of them have moved on, Roy especially and magnanamously it has to be said, which is why I mentioned the "cursing under his breath" remark. Like two dogs on the street that have fought, one lost, but they can still respect each other for what they did and the many times they have fought together on the same side. And of course we should not forget that termination contracts do keep mouths permanently closed on such matters for both club and the people involved.

If Roy had his way though, things would have turned out differently.

redspider

+++

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/1118/keaneroy.html

A statement released by the Old Trafford outfit confirmed that their long serving captain has departed with immediate effect after it became clear that his future at the club was untenable.

The 34-year-old's representative Michael Kennedy met United chief executive David Gill at Old Trafford to thrash out details of Keane's severance, completing one of the most dramatic departures Manchester United has ever known.

United confirmed Keane's exit in a statement on their official website www.manutd.com which read; "The agreement allows Roy to sign a long term deal with another club to enable him to secure his playing career beyond what would have been the end of his contract at United in the summer."

However, RTÉ sports editor Tony O'Donoghue claimed that the decision was far from mutual, and that Keane was forced out in what ammounted to a sacking.

According to O'Donoghue, Keane turned up for a Manchester United reserve game last night only to be told that his services were not needed. When he enquired further he was told to take up the issue with Alex Ferguson, and following talks today, his exit was announced.

The announcement comes less than three weeks after Keane's amazing outburst at his team-mates during an MUTV interview so damning that it was deemed 'unbroadcastable'.

Alex Ferguson was known to be furious at the timing and ferocity of the personal attacks contained within the interview and publicly rebuked his skipper prior to the win over Chelsea on November 6.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0109/keane.html

Roy Keane has been offered some dates at the end of the season to play the testimonial which was agreed as part of his severance package with Manchester United.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Since when do facts matter? It seems clear from this incident that Manchester United are a club in decline and that they'll be lucky to qualify for the UEFA cup next season...

raise ur shields and set ur phasers to troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

astrofool wrote:

;)

:rolleyes:

Er, am I the only one who thought Astrofool was joking, making a tongue in cheek comment, highlighted by the ;)

Now, I could be completely wrong....

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Me too... It gave me a bit of a laugh anyway.

redspider wrote:
    Well, well, well ....

You and I have been through a similar discussion in the past, and even when you are given sources you fail to comprehend. I wont claim to know what really goes on in your universe, but I will give an outline of my points one more try.......................................

Still nothing concrete in there to prove your facts but at least you managed to tone down the personal crap. I,m in the same universe as everyone else here. That is I form my own opinions on the facts as I know them.

FACT Keane 's contract was terminated , Fact there was disagreement over the MU TV interview, what we don't know is what happened between Keane and Fergie in the time from the interview to the termination or what happened at the meeting where the contract was terminated.

We do know that on the day before Keanes contract was terminated Fergie had said in an interview that Keane would be playing in that weekends match after returning from injury. He would hardly have said that if it were his intention to sack him the next day.

Your opinion is that he was sacked, mine is that Keane left of his own accord by mutual consent. Neither your or my opinion is fact but at least mine is in line with the information in the public domain and AFAIK neither parties has said anything different to date .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I think both can go back and forth here saying this is what happened, no this happened. The truth is at the moment we do not know! Very much the same as Luis Figo leaving Barca for Real. We think we know what happened but we actually don't. As Figo himself said at the time there is so much more involved in this that someday it will come out, but not now.

Someday the real Roy Keane story of exactly what happened will come out but up to this point we just do not know. Its very easy for people to put up a website and say here this is what happened, yet in truth we can find multiple sites with various different stories on them.

Now back on topic slightly the testimonial for me brought to close a circle in a way. As the thread started the incident in Saipan did divide a nation you were either with him or against him. Personally having played league of ireland footie and seeing it from the inside I was with him all the way. However lets be clear about one thing. Roy Keane despite what many believe and think did not walk out and abandon Ireland. He was sent home by Mick! Big difference between walking out and being sent home.
    Anyway that was then this is now. The testimonial was watched by everyone that I know. People who were divided then were suddenly all together watching what was possibly his last game. Opinion is also divided on how good a player Roy was and for this I really have to agree with Alan Hansen for a change. People will really only see now how good a player he was when he is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Back at work today after the game, took the long way around to it with a flight into Luton, drove up, arrived about 6, went to the match, went for a bit to eat and back on the road at 12, arrived back in London at 3am, up for a flight at 6.30am, flight 3 hours late, then off working on our house.
    So in a word I am fupped!

Keane is without a doubt one of the best players United have ever had, fact been with the near 70,000 fans which turned up on Tuesday night. His determination and will to win (sometimes at all costs, which is not commendable) was second to none.

The Celtic fans were great, singing the whole way through but to say some of them were blocked would be an under statement!

There was 2 incidents which I say down in front of us, one was when Celtic were singing you'll never walk alone and a Celtic fan decided to turn around and face into about 50 United fans and sing it into their faces, as you can imagine he got a nice beating until the stewards and police got to him.
    In that case both sets of fans were idiots, him for singing into their faces, them for actually taking the bait!

The other was when a muppet Celtic fan in front of us again who picked up a bottle of bud and fupped it down on top of the disabled fans!

Bar that it was great banter and the evening was fabulous for the match.
    Shame that Keane did not get the penalty but sin é!

On looking back we have lost 3 of the tough men of the PL in the last year, Keane, Viera and Shearer.
    With Bergkamp, RVN and possibly Henry leaving then the PL will be at a loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

yop wrote:
    will to win (sometimes at all costs, which is not commendable)

i admire him for that!
    yop wrote:
    On looking back we have lost 3 of the tough men of the PL in the last year, Keane, Viera and Shearer.

ha ha, good one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

yop wrote:

Still have John Terry and Wayne Rooney mate so some hard acts still in there.

I forgot to ask earlier but does anyone have any idea why Kerr was taking notes at the game? He definitely looked like he was scouting someone.

Rent-a-crowd are off to Shearer's testimonial tonight, it's on ITV4 for those that want to see it. It's the 3rd time Celtic are playing in a testimonial in the last month (Richard Shaw being the other).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Not as if it will be tough for the Geordies to fill a stadium for Shearers testimonial!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

IMO he was a good servent to Man United and yes he deserved a testimonial, I think I would however have a problem if the FAI where to give him and international one. Even though I was happy to see him comeback for Brian Kerr, I believe a testimonial is for '10 years Service' to a club or country, so he would have been eligable for one in 2001.

At the end of the day what happened in Siapan was a matter for Ireland to deal with and not his club.

And thats coming from a Liverpool Supportor

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    Still nothing concrete in there to prove your facts
    FACT Keane's contract was terminated
    Fact there was disagreement over the MU TV interview
    We do know that on the day before Keanes contract was terminated Fergie had said in an interview that Keane would be playing in that weekends match after returning from injury. He would hardly have said that if it were his intention to sack him the next day.

Your opinion is that he was sacked
    Mine is that Keane left of his own accord by mutual consent
    Neither your or my opinion is fact

I know we're not going to flip this back and forward incessantly, as, like in the past, we can agree to disagree.

I'm sure I said it to you before - "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" - this is very apt in your reasoning.

'Mutual Consent' is PR. I am sure you are fully au fait with the way of PR - it trys to paint things in a certain way, economical with the truth, as it were. Thats what PR and press releases are about, to hide the truth, to exaggerate the good, to minimise the fall-out, about making money at the end of the day.

You failed to answer the question:

Q: Do you think that Roy left Man Utd because he wanted to?

If you are saying 'yes', you are blinded by your Roy-ism.

From the above, you are saying that you believe that he did leave on his own accord, as Ferguson had indicated that he was playing on that weekend. However, you seem to know what was going on in Ferguson's mind!! Clearly you dont have a source for that. or do you? As you know, managers are allowed to change their minds, and also to drop players without giving them a warning and also to say one thing to the press whilst doing something else, using the press. Managers use PR techniques. So, can you be 100% sure that it wasnt Ferguson's intention to put Roy in that untenable position?

Remember, the position was untenable for Roy.

You also use an oxymoron, "Keane left of his own accord by mutual consent". Mutual Consent is normally where both parties agree to something, equally or together. So he cant have left on his own accord, and by mutual consent. It was either on his own accord, or by mutual consent.

I think it is clear that Roy wanted to stay. You are a great believer that Roy speaks his own mind. If he wanted to leave, then why didnt he just come out and say it to the press, "I want to leave Man Utd". He didnt say it because he didnt want to, plain and simple.

I wont go on, you can believe what you like. I cant make you read between the lines and understand. Its all water under the bridge anyway as far as I am concerned and no doubt we'll read bits about it in books/autobiograhies in years to come, not authorised ones from Roy or Ferguson but perhaps from others, 'that were in that room', so to speak.

Let me know your final thoughts on the matter ....

redspider

eirebhoy wrote:
    I forgot to ask earlier but does anyone have any idea why Kerr was taking notes at the game? He definitely looked like he was scouting someone.
    Forgot about that too. Maybe he just refuses to accept that he's not the Irish manager anymore? ;)

redspider wrote:
    You also use an oxymoron, "Keane left of his own accord by mutual consent". Mutual Consent is normally where both parties agree to something, equally or together. So he cant have left on his own accord, and by mutual consent. It was either on his own accord, or by mutual consent.
    I don't see anything wrong with that statement. Mutual consent, to me, means they both wanted the end, Roy wanted to leave, Utd wanted him to leave. Leaving of his own accord to me means Roy wanted to leave. You can have one and the other.

redspider wrote:
    I think it is clear that Roy wanted to stay. You are a great believer that Roy speaks his own mind. If he wanted to leave, then why didnt he just come out and say it to the press, "I want to leave Man Utd". He didnt say it because he didnt want to, plain and simple.
    So by that logic, he didn't come out and say he wanted to stay, because he didn't want to, plain and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

dbnavan wrote:
    IMO he was a good servent to Man United and yes he deserved a testimonial, I think I would however have a problem if the FAI where to give him and international one. Even though I was happy to see him comeback for Brian Kerr, I believe a testimonial is for '10 years Service' to a club or country, so he would have been eligable for one in 2001.

At the end of the day what happened in Siapan was a matter for Ireland to deal with and not his club.

And thats coming from a Liverpool Supportor

The FAI give testimonials to players who reach a certain number of caps. I think its 75 at the moment but used to be 50. It was upped because there was a high number of players who qualified for testimonials during the Charlton years and it was getting a bit ridiculous. Cascarino and Staunton had to share theirs!

• Advertisement
Advertisement