Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Javascript = slow browsing?

Options
  • 09-05-2006 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

WHen I browse forums I usually open a few windows together (firefox - right click - open in new tab). When doing this on boards.ie it lags my whole pc, especially if I'm watching a video clip or something.

This doesn't occur on other forums.

I think it's been mentioned before, but is there any chance of a version of these forums without the annoying Javescript that loads at the top of each page? This seems to be causing the "lagging".

++edit - maybe this should be in the Development forum? Please move if it does ... ++
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Java is a curse and can be switched off in your browser. Its a pity so much funtionality is based on javascript. So open firefox for boards only with java off.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

But then the menu functionality and what not goes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I would miss the menu functionality. Don't use the what not myself.

But seriously, your right, Javascript is causing a bit of an issue. I only noticed this of late.

If you load multiple tabs, with different sites (including boards), they will all only load, once the first boards page is loaded.

When not using boards, in tabs, this does not occur.

I'm on XP with FF 1.07 (yes I know it's not the latest) SP (2 etc..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The javascript is a time trade-off.

The menu allows for faster access to forums, at the expense of having more stuff to download.

Having the menu built dynamically, rather than downloaded as flat HTML allows for less download (as more of that download is in cache) but is a heavier rendering burden.

The AJAX functionality like quick-reply, inline editting and a few of the moderator tools have similar trade-offs.

In all anything that would tweak this to make things faster in some places would make it slower in others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Javascript != Java

• Advertisement

I would scrap it all beyond the quick reply (which I couldn't live without!). Put an option in the profiles? Get a more simple theme even that we can choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Mobile?

Where (or when) did Mobile come from? That wasn't there last week :o

It's a little more basic then I would have liked for browsing on my PC but it is a welcome addition.

All we need now is boards.ie/mobile to force the mobile theme so we don't need to keep changing uor profiles for PDAs etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually I may have mentioned this before, but would it be possible to use http://mobile.boards.ie for browsing the forums with the mobile theme forced on?

While links that people post would still appear in the normal theme, it may help. People could also use it if/when stuck on a slow connection.

@seamus
    Yeah :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement