Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tdi

Options
  • 09-05-2006 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

If i am driving and i put my foot down a bit and i can hear the turno whistling, does that use more fuel then normal? I could basically see my fuel guage moving on a short spin when i was moving a bit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

If i am driving and i put my foot down a bit and i can hear the turno whistling, does that use more fuel then normal? I could basically see my fuel guage moving on a short spin when i was moving a bit.

The higher the revs the more fuel that is being burned.
    So if you did the same journey twice, one driving hard and the other driving easy (gentle acceleration, no sudden breaking) and measured fuel consumption.
    The hard journey would use more fuel.
    This would also be the case for a non-turbo engine as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

$Leon$ wrote:
    The higher the revs the more fuel that is being burned.
    So if you did the same journey twice, one driving hard and the other driving easy (gentle acceleration, no sudden breaking) and measured fuel consumption.
    The hard journey would use more fuel.
    This would also be the case for a non-turbo engine as well.

ah ok,

because when i was driving slow it said there was 130 miles worth of fuel left, then when i was driving faster it went all the way down to 105 miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

your trip computer estimates the distance till empty by monitoring your momentary fuel consumption and average fuel consumption. When you drive hard, your momentary consumption rises, and of course your distance till empty decreases accordingly. I wouldn't rely on this meter, as they are notoriousl unreliable!

Advertisement