Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What The Hell????

Options
  • 09-05-2006 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

was browsing through a cycling catalogue when all of a sudden i see a single bicycle light powered by some sort of lithium-ion super battery for €975!!!!!!!!:eek: could they possibly be that good to actually be worth that sort of money?? then there was another one saying "now significantly lower in price for this season!" and it was €450! am i being naive or are these lights the biggest waste of money going? i can think of a lot better things to buy for the bike for €975!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

What was the make and model?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9390
    You get performance similar to the headlights on a car with a lightweight, long lasting, quick charging battery.
    For mountain biking at night in pitch black.
    I have these:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5769
    and whenver I have them on the road I am getting mistaken for a motorbike or car with people waiting for me at junctions etc.
    You get a lot more respect on the road than you would if people knew you are a cyclist straight off.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

€975 is alot for a light, but €450 is about average for a decent off road set.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I saw an interesting 'demo' page on a cycling shop website.

The guys took a load of lights into the basement, pointed each one at an area of the wall and photographed them. The differences were phenomenal. The cheap ones were pathetic but the expensive ones were like car high beams.
    I've searched the web but can't find the site.

I saw that too, think it was linked in this forumn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭N05H3AD

What was the make and model?

it was a "Lupine Lighting Systems Edison-10"

Simona1986 wrote:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9390
    You get performance similar to the headlights on a car with a lightweight, long lasting, quick charging battery.
    For mountain biking at night in pitch black.
    I have these:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5769
    and whenver I have them on the road I am getting mistaken for a motorbike or car with people waiting for me at junctions etc.
    You get a lot more respect on the road than you would if people knew you are a cyclist straight off.

yes but you could get 5 sets of car lights at this price and with the money you would save you'd probably be better bolting a 12v to the back of your bike and have a car light hooked up to that.

N05H3AD wrote:
    yes but you could get 5 sets of car lights at this price and with the money you would save you'd probably be better bolting a 12v to the back of your bike and have a car light hooked up to that.
    Have you tried to carry a car battery? You're paying for the top of the range battery as well as the top of the range bulb system. Like the top of the range in anything (sport, computers etc...) the extra few bob towards the top end doesn't get you much bang for the buck, it's just about pushing the limits, keeping new ideas coming and so on.

Simona1986 wrote:
    Have you tried to carry a car battery? You're paying for the top of the range battery as well as the top of the range bulb system. Like the top of the range in anything (sport, computers etc...) the extra few bob towards the top end doesn't get you much bang for the buck, it's just about pushing the limits, keeping new ideas coming and so on.

I see your point, but i will say that i didn't say car battery, i said 12v battery, there are many smaller and lighter 12v batteries i.e the ones that hospitals have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

N05H3AD wrote:

Ha, do a 24hr Marathon with that gear. A grand is lot of money. Even 450 is for the average enthusiast. Most of these systems are designed for sheer performance though, not cost. If it can help a team rider ride faster and better in an important event then it's done its job. Still shocking though, not something you'd expect to see reaching that high a price.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a really good light set for this Autumn and Winter. I want something durable that'll see me through a few winters and that is reliable. Does anyone have any suggestions. Price should be floating about 200 - 250. I'm not into big bottlecage batteries and would ideally like something with around 2.5 - 3 hours burn time on full beam with a smart charger. I'm not fussed if it's halogen or LED or whatever, as long as it's bright with a good spread. A dual light system, one for the helmet and one for the bars would be ideal. I've been looking around but suggestions would be handy.

Thanks

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

daymobrew wrote:
    I saw an interesting 'demo' page on a cycling shop website.
    http://eddys.com/page.cfm?PageID=493
    The difference between low and high end lights is amazing.
    Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a really good light set for this Autumn and Winter.
    One of the lights in the demo might suit. At least you'll see how bright they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I've been looking around but suggestions would be handy.

I got this one last autumn
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8904

The battery comes with a velcro fastener which you can attach to your seat post or frame. It also has a basic charger. You can get more sophisticated chargers for it (trickel charger, full charge notification).

It gives a super-strong beam. I would generally get a couple of hours out of it at a time. I have been caught a few times, where the charge has run out, but that's my own fault for not charging it. I keep a small backup flashy LED with me for such ocassions

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Iób

Advertisement