Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car wont start

Options
  • 09-05-2006 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

01 vw golf. Tried to start car earlier, but nothing happened. Completely dead. Lights are coming on the dashboard, wipers, lights,radio etc. all working normal. Push started it, drove it home, but still dead when i tried to restart. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

No Power to the starter motor could well be popped fuse check the fuse box
    and see if anything is blown. Worth checking to see if any relays are loose these will be in the fuse box and / or under the bonnet.
    I'm sure other more knowledgeable folk in here will have beetter suggestions for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

Just a guess, it sounds like your Starter Motor is knackered. I had the same prob with my VW - got it changed last month. 200 Euros is what it should come to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Its quite possible that your battery is either low on charge or knackered. Also your alternator could be faulty too but this is less likely. Check to see if your full beam is as strong as it should be with the engine off. Check the fuse to your starter - AFAIK this is a fuse located in a black box on top of your battery.

If it starts on a push and runs as long as you drive I'd be inclined to think faulty battery or starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can you hear a click from the soleniod when you turn the key (lift bonnnet for this), if you can then you may have a loose wire to the starter or the starter is dead (brushes worn), if there is no click then the soleniod or relay is proberly dead or unattached.

Don't bother spending hundreds on a new starter/soleniod, any decent breakers yard will have one you can pop in for 50-70 euro.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sounds like a starter motor alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ORVEE

Thanks for the replies. All the fuses/relays seem fine.I cant here anything when i turn the key. I think I'll recharge the battery tomorrow and take it from there. If it is the starter, can i get it reconditioned(not sure if thats the right phrase) rather than gettin a new/ second hand one.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Jump start it, drive it for a bit, switch it off and then immediately try to re start. this rules out any battery problems. you would be well advisd to get a mechanic to have a look before you go buying starter motors etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

TBH it really sounds like the Starter Motor is knackered. I found Myles Balfe Ltd in Phibsborough to be very efficient at replacing them. If you haven't replaced your battery since it was 1st bought - I would recommend changing that to. Weak batteries can do a lot of damage over time.

Advertisement