Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mild Acne

• 09-05-2006 10:38pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has recurring acne and it is getting on her nerves. It not major coverage just in small areas around the chin and mouth.

She has tries lots of facial masks and stuff.

Has anyone any treatments to recommend or doctors that are good with this sort of thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭conky_05

The antibiotic Minocin is excellent. I used it with my acne and it cleared up. The only problem is it IS an antibiotic and they're never good. Get her to go to any GP and talk to them. Then they would refer her or perscribe her wherever necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

i find that just washing with water helps, all those face washes make me break out.
    sunlight (on bright sunnny days) also helps me tremendusly (im not sure it will work though, it has somthing to do with my skin, its also the reason i dont burn lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Dettol works great for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

Just be careful not to irritate it too much. For problem areas I found using Dermalogica special clearing booster worked well. Make sure skin is always clean and pay attention to what towels you use to dry your face and hygiene i.e. letting your hand touch etc.

If it is a seriuos acne matter go to your GP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Alkers

Go to a dermatoligist.
    Gauranteed it will be sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Cheers guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Frankster4

Simona1986 wrote:
    Go to a dermatoligist.
    Gauranteed it will be sorted.

helped me ;) a GP could have done it though. mine wasn't terrible, just annoying tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

go to a GP first, I doubt it's necessary to go to a derm straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

TomTom wrote:
    Cheers guys

Roaccutane is about the most powerful acne medication on the market, I had it bad when I was in my teens, doctor put me on three different courses of drugs over a two year period, nothing worked. He then put me on roaccutane and bang, acne gone in 6months completely....never to return.

There can be side effects and it is not an easy drug to get prescribed but it works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

apart from the controversial issues, a practical problem with roaccutane is that your doctor will require you have monthly / bi -montly blood tests during its course, so if you don't like needles then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

My brother went on roaccutane and yes it worked but to be honest your acne needs to be very severe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Roaccataine is a bit dodgy I wouldn't take it unless your desperate. Some of the side-effects are horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

As said above - I've been on Ro-accuatane and wouldn't recommend it unless your spots are causing you pain. Yes, it'll cure your spots but its crap for your liver, your skin, it gives you painful joints, requires you to eyedrop 3 times a day and since its a steroid you're likely to get fat too if you're not careful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

the OP said it was mild acne, so most likely if you go to your GP they'll put you on by-micin or somethin like that. It should sort it out if it's mild, as you said. If the GP thinks it's more serious, they'll refer you to a derm who'll more than likely put you on Roaccutane. If the acne is mild, then there's no need to take Roaccutane -- it's really strong stuff, and the side-effects really are incredibly frustrating. I've been on it for about 20 months at this stage, so I'm speaking from experience, and I'm still not finished! Hopefully before the summer's finished though.

Roaccutane works, but as someone said, only start on it if the acne is problematic/painful, as mine is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If you're going the GP route, Dianette is really good for acne. It's also an oral contraceptive though, so your friend should be aware of that. But it usually clears your skin right up!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

Try Quinoderm cream. Can get it over the counter. May sting a bit for some people (not me though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

They have a daily routine for acne on www.acne.org I never had acne myself but a few of my friends tried it and it cleared up their acne might be worth a look

Advertisement