Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up an amateur team in dublin....?

• 09-05-2006 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭

Myself and a few mates are setting up a team to play next year... from what i can tell we need approx 16 players (which we have we think), a pitch, insurance, a kit, a training facility and to be registered in a league..

does anyone know the best way of going about this... we want to play in the United Churches League (www.ucfl.ie) but registering aint all that easy... also, getting a pitch is tough unless you're registered with a league. likewise, its hard to get registered if you have no pitch. we are based in and around terenure area so any suggestions re pitches would be great

i've found kits for approx 490 euro, which is 15 outfield jersyes, keeper jerseer and 16 shorts and socks. also, we were looking at buying last seasons coventry city jersey shorts and socks whichs is 33 sterling! but would be deadly! anyone know of somehwere to get cheap kits...

basicially... anyone any advice on how to do all this... cos im getting kinda confused by it all! thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

ditpoker wrote:
    i've found kits for approx 490 euro, which is 15 outfield jersyes, keeper jerseer and 16 shorts and socks. also, we were looking at buying last seasons coventry city jersey shorts and socks whichs is 33 sterling! but would be deadly! anyone know of somehwere to get cheap kits...

ebay - > :here:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I played with a ucfl team last year, the vegas baby of amateur leagues!!!

If you're around terenure then I would suggest approaching the local council/management of Bushy Park, teams always have to renew their pitches each season so try get in early.

I know the team i played with didnt have any problems with a registered training facility, they just put down any place with an all weather pitch until they had actually found somewhere- so maybe a secondary school/leisure centre with pitches.

From the website it sounds very strict and all but some rules eg no. 12 never happen.

Anyway good luck with it, they're all mainly pub teams or lads like yourselves who want to form a team so its usually good craic and fairly easy to beat!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

For the pitch see:
    http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=1319&catid=65
    How many playing pitches are there in the county?
    There are 150 playing pitches in the county.

How do I apply for the use of a playing pitch?
    The Council issues application forms in June of each year to all existing clubs with existing lettings in good standing and to any new clubs who have made contact during the year seeking facilities. New clubs must be located within the South Dublin County Council area and cater for players who live in the county.

[-] View Contacts
    Name Title Phone No.
    Michael Hannon Senior Executive Parks Superintendent 4149266
    Bill Kearney Senior Executive Parks Superintendent 4149143
    Bridget Treacy Executive Parks Superintendent 4149141
    Mary Keenan Senior Executive Parks Superintendent 4149144

For application form to join the league:

United Churches Football League of Ireland, League Office, 1 - 2 Eden Quay, Dublin 1, Tel: (01) 8783488, Email: info@ucfl.ie

http://www.ucfl.ie/contactUs.asp

Get your job to sponsor you if possible. Jerseys are cheap enough designing your own (which you must do :D) is a bit more expensive but not if your sponsored :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

eas enough my former team SRSC were in the carlsberg LJL, its all there in on the web site really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

thanks.. everyone i've spoken to seems reasonably happy to get kits from ebay, although all the ebay kits are standard colours which is no fun :p and may need us to have an away kit. i want orange and yellow, hehehe.. and all the email addresses on the uncfl website return a permenent failure message which is kinda annoying. but thanks for all suggestions so far! www.brokenleg.ie great website name for insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

For kits - check out Proteamsports I think they are in Capel street. They do a standard kit for €350.00 http://www.proteamsports.net/specials.html

Or http://www.discountfootballkits.co.uk/kitsizes42-44fs.htm for some crazy looking kits at reasonable prices.

Best of luck with the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

tribulus wrote:
    I played with a ucfl team last year, the vegas baby of amateur leagues!!!

Is this a compliment? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Culchie wrote:

Think it's a comment on how bad the players are in those leagues...and they are very very bad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Iceman78

If ye get put in the bottom league in the UCFL, ye will have great craic but the standard is absolutely terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Culchie wrote:

in fairness i can't talk too much playing at 5/10c :o

and yes the players are very poor for the most part, if 50% of your team wasnt drinking the night before youve a good chance!!

ditpoker: afaik you need an away kit also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

tribulus wrote:
    ditpoker: afaik you need an away kit also
    ah crap! :p

on the plus side, from the advice found here i seem to have sourced a kit for about 250 euro, so given that i had budgeted 500 for a kit this could still be doable!!

i wonder if there are any websites, perhaps poker related websites, even forum based ones, or canadian crapshoot ones that would be keen on sponsoring what is effectively a pub team??? hmmm :p
    and yes the players are very poor for the most part, if 50% of your team wasnt drinking the night before youve a good chance!!

sadly i'm reasonably confident 75-80% of our team will be out drinking before matches with apporx 10% drinking during... :o

thanks for all the help so far guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Why bother then? No sense of competitiveness = no fun!

Advertisement