Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Replacement!

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I've copped it - it's panda!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Why do you think that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

He's joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Necessary UCD Mod criteria the way I see it:

- Someone who is reasonable - neither weak nor ban-happy.

- Someone who holds no UCDSU links (for the election period where things go craaaaazzy). Someone apolitical.

- Someone who has been on the forum a while and who is well known

- Someone who will be in UCD next year

I would suggest the Zanemeister or Red Alert based on the above but that's just my two cents...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

MNG test!

...no?

• Advertisement

I think that in the interest of fairness a Trinity student should mod the UCD forum.

C(girly man beard)rash_000 for mod!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Myth wrote:
    I think that in the interest of fairness a Trinity student should mod the UCD forum.

C(girly man beard)rash_000 for mod!

Best description yet of his new name, kudos!! I may steal it from you though ;)

Noooo!!
    He already mods two forums I regularly post in (rugby's one of them, even worse) ... the power'd go to his head. I think to protect him, we shouldn't (by we, I mean boards) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

peachy says we're finding out on May 22nd...

that's another 12 days!!! :mad:
    Booo!

How about a poll? Just to keep us busy in the mean time. ;) *EDIT: ah, elmyra bet me to it...*

And I'm still for sangre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

There is a poll. Vote your heart out baby, yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Spread my empire of love - lets make it four crashed forums!

VIVA LA REVOLUCION!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

When did you start modding Rugby çrash?

&#231 wrote: »
    Spread my empire of love - lets make it four crashed forums!

VIVA LA REVOLUCION!

Lol ...'four crashed forums' :D

Revolutions's unlikely to be popular though:
    Pythia wrote:
    &#231 wrote: »
    you may vote democrat, but deep down you know you need a hardline republican to RULE YOU LIKE THEY SHOULD.

er...GOE SANGRE! VIVA LA REVOLUCION!
    Revolution? Republican? Eh, I don't think so.

Anyway, it's unlikely to go to a trinner (you've a better chance of holding out for the surfing forum ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Ahh bless, good times :).

Any more spectulation = banning. I don't like banter.....or jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Wow, a locking couldn't stop a thread better than that post. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I can't believe anyone actually thought I'd want to be the moderator. I'd read kill myself than read through all the ****e thats posted here everyday.
    If there is a new mod I just hope to God they get rid of the innane verbal diahorrea thats is posted on these threads. Peachy is being far too accomdating to the spammers in my amazing opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

Sangre wrote:
    I can't believe anyone actually thought I'd want to be the moderator. I'd read kill myself than read through all the ****e thats posted here everyday.

ahhh, and I believed in you Sangre :rolleyes: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Sangre wrote:
    If there is a new mod I just hope to God they get rid of the innane verbal diahorrea thats is posted on these threads. Peachy is being far too accomdating to the spammers in my amazing opinion.

I agree. I have been.

I guess the time of year has to be taken into account too, but it has gotten ridiculous. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. I ban people and I'm accused of over-moderating. I don't ban people and I'm too soft.
    *shrug*

The new mod won't have any problems. Trust me.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I agree. I have been.

I guess the time of year has to be taken into account too, but it has gotten ridiculous. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. I ban people and I'm accused of over-moderating. I don't ban people and I'm too soft.
    *shrug*

The new mod won't have any problems. Trust me.

:)
    Heehee every time you say that you make it sound more and more ominous:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

This thread reminded of this one http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=148564 when I was perm banned from boards.ie. Got to see people's true colours there aswell.

If I was mod I would have had a no tolerance policy on spam, I think its ruining this place and becoming symtonmatic of an overall boards problem ( I miss them olden days). Basically people are posting when they have nothing to say. If you don't have anything to say, don't say it. At all. To anyone. Seriously. No one cares.
    This problem is only heigthen by people's 'walking for the first time' attempts at humour which is that anything silly and/or wacky is funny. No, its not.

I'd said it before. Who cares if you've made friends with these people. If you want to talk to them then text/pm/email/ring them. This is a bulletin board not irc. Its for making points/discussion NOT 'chat'. Anything you have to say to someone that involves knowing something about them off boards then don't say it. It excludes others and stops the flow of conversation.
    I know a fair few people who would post here but I try not to clog this place up the fact I may have, POSSIBLY seen them that day....AGHH

I agree with you Sangre with the increase in spammyness. The Spam thread has definitely helped over the last few days, although it might be an idea to delete it every so often, and start again, so that it doesn't become too much of a postcount++ thread.
    It definitely would have been interesting with you as mod, just to see how many people you could manage to ban within the first month.

• Advertisement

Sangre wrote:
    T
    I'd said it before. Who cares if you've made friends with these people. If you want to talk to them then text/pm/email/ring them. This is a bulletin board not irc. Its for making points/discussion NOT 'chat'. Anything you have to say to someone that involves knowing something about them off boards then don't say it. It excludes others and stops the flow of conversation.

I think that pretty much sums up the situation on the forum at the moment.
    I feel sorry for all the new people to be honest. The forum has become very busy over the past while and while I think it's fantastic that people get along in real life, they should take a step back and realise that the forum isn't just used by their little gang of mates.

I'd actually suggest the main culprits ask for a private forum where they can spam all they like...or else just stick to TCN.

I think one of the reasons that its happening so much here is that the ones that do it (and I'm not blaming anyone here becuase I know we've all done it) are the "regular" posters and once they don't see a problem with it, they continue to do it and there's a sense of "how dare you" when I tried to cut it out. One poster actually told me in a PM that by telling people to get back on topic I was "making the forum less fun" and that I needed to realise that there is a core group of 15 or so "regulars" and basically that I shouldn't worry about anyone else.

It's crap like that, and the fact that I'm largely ignored here when I do try and moderate (and of course the fact that I'm leaving UCD) that makes me very happy to let someone else take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

I'd also agree that spam is bad on the whole but posting wacky comments may not be funny, but it is part of building (and being part of ) a community. This would be a pretty boring place if all we were posted were facts ;)

B-K-DzR wrote:
    I'd also agree that spam is bad on the whole but posting wacky comments may not be funny, but it is part of building (and being part of ) a community. This would be a pretty boring place if all we were posted were facts ;)

I agree but people need to know where to draw the line.

Not everyone has been to a beers and not everyone meets outside at the DoLC. So in-jokes between friends about non-boards related stuff isn't going to help towards building a community. It'll exclude a lot of new people and as a result people might decide not to post here.

I agree but people need to know where to draw the line.

Not everyone has been to a beers and not everyone meets outside at the DoLC. So in-jokes between friends about non-boards related stuff isn't going to help towards building a community. It'll exclude a lot of new people and as a result people might decide not to post here.
    Damn true. It actually took me a while to work out exactly what DoLC was. The 'Hello' thread is interesting though, already there are a fair few people who have posted on it that have been registered on boards for a while, but don't really post here.

Blowfish wrote:
    Damn true. It actually took me a while to work out exactly what DoLC was. The 'Hello' thread is interesting though, already there are a fair few people who have posted on it that have been registered on boards for a while, but don't really post here.

Yup, and to me that just shows how damaging it can be when threads decend so rapidly into chit-chat between people. New people who may very well have an opinion they want to voice on these topics could end up feeling that they can't get involved in the conversation. It's not fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

it is really quite annoying when the threads just decend into shíte ( and i have been responsible sometimes) and alot of that has to do with all the chit chat that goes with the posters here knowing each other in real life! which in itself is great but a line does need to be drawn at the same time and a can of whoopass does need to be opened up!
    will be interesting to see how well the new mod whips our new batch of ucd boardsies into shape in september.........god ill be posting here nearly 4 years in september and fast approching my 1000th post im officially a nerd!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

EKSCOR wrote:
    He was banned from After Hours permanently a while ago. He registered a second account just to get around that ban and I caught him, banned the second account and warned him not to do that again or I would ban him. He was very indignant about this, his reasoning being something along the lines that he has a duty to tell people how stupid they are, and this evening I caught him doing it again.

HEHE this made me laugh a lot....yes how would we know who was stupid or not if sangre got banned:D

Im not too sure if Im one of the people whose causing the spamtastic nature of these forums these days....I know I write a lot about su stuff but that is sorta ucd related.....Im a bit worried now that I am one of the spamtastic users.....maybe peachy could pm those who are regularly spam offenders and ask them to tone it down or something cos Im not sure where the line is to be drawn...does that make sense....exams incoherent make panda...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

The end of an era (albeit a short era).
    Thank god I won't be a UCD student by the time the changover happens (hopefully). :p

All Hail Snager*!

*Sangre's new overlord name.

One poster actually told me in a PM that by telling people to get back on topic I was "making the forum less fun" and that I needed to realise that there is a core group of 15 or so "regulars" and basically that I shouldn't worry about anyone else.

It's crap like that, and the fact that I'm largely ignored here when I do try and moderate (and of course the fact that I'm leaving UCD) that makes me very happy to let someone else take over.

I really can't believe someone said that to you! You're the mod, it's up to you to judge when posters are off-topic or not (I'm sometimes not actually sure whether I am or not, but I'm sure I am at times :rolleyes:)

Personally, if I were doing it to an extent that it was actually interfering with others's ability to read the board, I'd prefer a warning pm from the mod to let me know so I could stop. If the mod reckons you're being a nuisance, then you probably are. And if you're told you are, then stop. :)

That's not a criticism of you peachy, just to say that people should realise you're not saying this stuff for the good of your health :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Heh, see, most people dont like being told to stop. my pm box has seen some quite abusive messages from people i've warned or banned before - its always amusing :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement