Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello!

Options
  • 10-05-2006 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭

It has been pointed out that there's a clique-y thing going on here. I think it's probably because of Beers and people getting to know eachother in real life. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'd imagine it'd be pretty off-putting if you were new. So I propose that this thread be reserved for new people, lurkers who would like to post a bit but are intimidated and anyone else who doesn't know anyone to just say hi, so people know that they're new and feel a bit funny about jumping right in.

Ideally, people would pm the new people who post here so the thread doesn't get really badly clogged up and become a spam thread #2.

If everyone thinks it's a crap idea, then I guess letting a mod know so they can delete it would be a good idea.

Oh, and if you're new, HELLO! We love you already. And we're really nice, honestly, so it's great that you've decided to hang out here. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

*hugs noobs*. Good idea Blush, hope this works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Not to put a dampner on things...but generally we do the roll call and sticky it at the start of the year.

That and know your UCDians.

But this could work too. I don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Worthy stickying until then? Maybe adding the words 'the newbie thread' to the title?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

i think it might be best to hold off on this... the summer will cause traffic here to simmer down, i remember how dead it was in august of last year. not being in ucd will make it hard to find anything ucd oriented to talk about except ourselves, which althrough we all seem to be very good at, is the reason WHY we have spam threads.

im sure some of the old gaurd will keep things trucking along, a slow down i inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

It has been pointed out that there's a clique-y thing going on here.
    Ok, i'll bite the bullet. What exactly is a "clique-y" thing. People have used it when talking to me for ages and im always guessing as to what they mean. Could someone explain it in laymens terms (failing that a java program highlighting it would also work*). Thanks

* i kid i kid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I guess it roughly means that as people get to know eachother better there are more personal references and in-jokes in what they're saying. This is then exclusionary to those who don't understand what's going on. The ones who do are considered to be in the clique, the ones who don't are outside it. And the ones who are outside the clique are usually the new people who haven't found their feet or can't find their feet because they can't figure out where to put them without stepping into someone else's private jokes.

Am I wrong anywhere there, or have I left anything out?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Ok, i'll bite the bullet. What exactly is a "clique-y" thing. People have used it when talking to me for ages and im always guessing as to what they mean. Could someone explain it in laymens terms (failing that a java program highlighting it would also work*). Thanks

* i kid i kid
    public static void main(String[] args){
         Circle circle1;
         Point[] pointArray;

pointArray = new Point[UCDboardsPopulation];

for(int i=0; i<pointArray.Length(); i++){
          drawPoint(pointArray[i].getX(), pointArray[i].getY());
          if(withinCircle(pointArray[i])!=true){
             drawText("Noob", pointArray[i].getX(), pointArray[i].getY()+3);
          }
       }
    }

i left out classes such as Circle and Point, and the code for withinCircle() and drawText() (also drawPoint()) out of it because, well, i'm fairly sad. but i have to stop at some point.

also the odd chance i got syntax wrong - no IDE and its 20 to 2 in the morning :( EDIT: and i've edited it a number of times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

cheers blush for the somewhat ambigous reply and crash for making it perfectly clear! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

....that was actually the most pathetic thing i've ever done in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Good to see all the newbies availing of the thread.

I suppose it's the thought that counts Blush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Well i'm a kindof noob, so err...hello

Arf, and most people thought no noobs would show...

Welcome to the party, good tullach. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Hello, My name is Joe, and Im an alcoholic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Heya tullachbuí [lovin the username btw] welcome!
    You should post in the know your UCDians thread with what course your doing [and a pic if you want]

I guess I fit under the noob category too. A friend of mine mentioned this forum a few times so I figured I'd join in just to see what ye get up to :)

Now, all that remains to is come up with clever siggy.

Edit: Oh, maybe I shouldn't actually. I don't know my friends username I'd hate to think that I was kindof, well...intruding. Think I'll leave it actually. It's been short but, yeah, think I'll let I'll leave it, feels wrong.....

Can't see the delete option but I guess I can reserve my username, just in case.
    Ah i'm sure he/she won't mind, why don't you ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Evenin' all. I guess I'm a big noob too :p
    Not for long, I hope.
    Now, all that remains to is come up with clever siggy.

That's quite the task. I'm still siggyless. My posts feel so naked :o

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

I'm the guy who kills alot of threads with obscure quotes and inside jokes that only I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Exar Khun wrote:
    I'm the guy who kills alot of threads with obscure quotes and inside jokes that only I get.

I don't get it :confused:
    ...but h!i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Twigy

Im a noob,just joined today!
    So hay to all the ucd(d) people:)

Hello, fellow UC-double-D-ite!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Well I would qualify as a newbie with the 38 posts so far..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭LAAngel

Hi I'm new so nice to meet you all, I actually found this forum when I was looking for the name of a nightclub and search results brought me here, still haven't found that nightclub haha.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Twigy

Yay new bees!

Hi everybody!

/que Dr. Nick jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Hi Dr. Nick!!

Also....hey new people and welcome. I'm only here like 5 months and already think everyone's pretty lovely. This place is addictive!! Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

I guess im a noob too... i only know sangre in "real life", although i have spotted grimes on the wall at arts or (the department of lung cancer as the guys like to call it) a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I still feel like a newbie! Wecome fellow n00bs! :)

In fairness I kinda feel like a n00b too, I've only been an active poster for three, four months max...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭**elaine**

Not really a newbie but I haven't posted much here!
    Hello to all!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 bluepencilcase

hello!

Advertisement