Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband - 5km exchange limit for how long?

Options
  • 10-05-2006 4:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

It's me again, still without broadband even though I'm connected to an enabled rural exchange (6km away, allegedly 8km by 'copper wire'). Does anyone here have an idea on a timeframe or, to be more succinct, whether or not Eircom will actually be able to deliver DSL broadband over greater distances than 5km from their exchanges (hopefully up to 8km). I mean it's all well and good when the release press junkets saying they've upgraded this rural exchange, that rural exchange, when in reality more people in rural Ireland live well beyond the 5km from their exchanges making the 'work' and Eircom put into upgrading them, well, rather pointless.

Eircom NewsFlash! - BROADBAND FOR ALL(1)!, WE HAVE 100% OF OUR EXCHANGES ENABLED, AREN'T WE GREAT!, WE'VE DONE ALL THE WORK NOW!..
    (1)Only 30% of people live within our DSL limits so 100% coverage actually means.. nothing.. shhh it's a s.e.c.r.e.t!

As I stated many a time before, my exchange being upgraded has probably benefitted about 20-30% of the local populace of the area (why bother?), although the place is 'rural', there's a hell of a lot of houses rounded the place beyond the 'limit' and a hell of a lot of those houses have I.T. professionals living in them (commuter types). I'm just so sick and tired of waiting and waiting and waiting YEARS for broadband for it to come close and to just grind to a halt in my terms of getting it.

Oh, by the way, I've been waiting on www.permanet.ie to provide me with their wireless broadband service since I ordered it in March as they deemed my area to go live in the 'coming months'; piece of advice for anyone else in my area - it's not happening. After repetitive emails (many unanswered) and phonecalls (answered but the staff 'don't-know-anything'), they seemingly have no intention of supplying the service to this area (South Carlow/Enniscorthy). I get the distinct impression they scrounge up GBS grants and do nothing but sit on their wireless licence. *****.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Laguna wrote:
    . I get the distinct impression they scrounge up GBS grants and do nothing but sit on their wireless licence. *****.

just a couple of points some of these wireless companies are very small and have to fund expansion out of their own funds at the end of the day they are commercial companies. if they install one connection in an area that has gbs funding (before that funding is approved and the supplier appointed) they lose any chance of using that funding ( i could be wrong but dont think so) i dont know if the grants are paid on block or per connection. i know a wireless provider who was supposed to provide me with cover but i didnt have line of sight but may have been bounced off someone elses connection - but with eircoms recent relaxation of testing i got broadband over the phoneline so they lost me as a customer. but again he's struggling to keep up with connections and backhaul.
    i know its frustrating but you also need to write to td's (i used to every six months or so ) etc and every time theirs a radio interview write in stating your position. i beleive that eircom dont like bad publicity and its the worst thing that can happen when they are trying to promote something and all that happens is that they get slagged for lack off service.
    i honestly beleive ioffl's position has caused the recent relaxation of testing and increases in distance will come with more pressure.
    i know its hard been there for 3 years or so until 2 weeks ago i have a letter from noel dempsey last year saying i should have no problem getting broadband as their is loads of providers in my area.
    keep venting hope you feel better but keep writing to public representatives (you get much more response with snail mail by the way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

like Edwin sez. They are small as are many rural ISPs and the customer service department is on a ladder with a cordless in hand a lot of the time .

Permanet get paid GBS funds when they install and commission, not when its agreed in principle. There is no incentive in the GBS scheme NOT to install if thats what you think Laguna . Sometimes getting 'on' to them and 'helping' with local knowledge can speed things up .

As for eircom, their DSL program has ground to a halt , largely because its complete as far as they are concerned. The next thing for them to do is to fix lines and run extra copper on their already commissioned exchanges which will take 5 or 6 years at current rates.

Then there is the other 600-700 odd smaller exchanges to do along with the decrepit copper streeling out of them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

were you serious when you said 100% of exchanges had been enabled
    theres still loads to do
    Including mine and i live within 1km of a town with over 2000ppl in the town and loads more within 5km they really didnt do their reaearch here but i suppose its worse for you because sooner or later they will get around to having all the exchanges enabled but theres no word of them increasing the distance yet basically were both in crap situations

Advertisement