Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Launch Date Confirmed

• 10-05-2006 8:14am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Link

A friend sent me this link.

Do you think sony will make this launch date?

Also there isnt an awful lot of consoles for the release date. How many 360's was there? There will be big demand and lots of crying kids come Christmas morning?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

That picture could not sum up sony better for me. I'm beginning to really dislike them, yet will still buy their console because of MGS and FFXIII and similar exclusives.... Grrr..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Info I saw yesterday stated that the US price would be €499 and the Euro price would be €499 (which is around $635).

So while €499 is pricey, and its alot more than the yanks will pay, its not €600 AFAIK.

Price will also include a HDD according to the piece I saw. Will post a link id I can find it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

€499 comes with 20 gb HDD
    €599 comes with 60 gb HDD and other things like HDMI and so on

Europe are being screwed price wise yet again.

$599 for the 60 gig version in the states is €468.17 going by todays exchange rate. so the cheaper PS3 in Europe will cost more than the more expensive PS3 in the states. some ****ing joke tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Don't mind the price, ever think of stealing one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Anyone taking pre-orders yet? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The only reason I,m going to buy it, is becouse of the next GTA and GT.
    I dont realy give a sh!t about gigabites and all that kind of stuff, I just want to play it:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Not sure, but they probably should be now that price and date have been announced.

Importing from the US could be an interesting option if the dollar remains weak. You could get the "premium" PS3 for ~€470 based on today's rate..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

And if you don't get stung by customs, and if it doesn't break within warrenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

That picture could not sum up sony better for me. I'm beginning to really dislike them, yet will still buy their console because of MGS and FFXIII and similar exclusives.... Grrr..
    is it true that their motion sensors are only cheap knock offs of nintendos and don't possess the full range of motion?

Ciaran500 wrote:
    And if you don't get stung by customs, and if it doesn't break within warrenty.

There's ways around customs ;) Warranty is always a risk. But I should confess I'm thinking of my own situation, where my brother is out in the US, and I could always send it back through him (and conversely, have him send it as a gift to avoid customs :p).

J.R.HARTLEY - the controller senses full 3D motion, but it's obviously all relative to itself. If you point it at the screen, for example, it's not going to know where on the screen you're pointing at, unlike Wii. It senses Yaw, Pitch, Roll as well as "3D acceleration information".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Plug wrote:
    I dont realy give a sh!t about gigabites and all that kind of stuff, I just want to play it:cool:

360 version will have extra downloadable content, and the 360 is €200 cheaper than the ps3's best model. I'd say alot of gamers, interested only in games such as gta, will go for the much cheaper option, and the extra content is cool too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Any you can say for sure that the PS3 GTA will not have "extra downloadable content"?

monument wrote:
    Any you can say for sure that the PS3 GTA will not have "extra downloadable content"?

Well for the time being it seems, rockstar have a contract with MS to provide exlcusive dlc for gta over xbox live, so yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Ok, I am thinking about getting one, well hopefully anyway. I am not in the techy end of things. So I will put it to you straight. Do you think that the PS3 will be better than the Xbox 360? Which is the best one to go for spec wise?

Well for the time being it seems, rockstar have a contract with MS to provide exlcusive dlc for gta over xbox live, so yes.

Any link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

that was the assumption until take2 fired off another email, which was far more ambiguous, claiming there'll be exclusive content over live for "a rockstar game". speculation is leaning on table tennis. yes, that's right, table tennis.

the whole GTA thing is insanely confusing right now. it'll take a few days before there are proper answers, since (afaik) rockstar have no representation at e3

monument wrote:
    Any link?

as project mayhem mentioned, it does seem confusing, but the link i would have posted was the actual press conference, when peter moore mentioned the dlc himself, on stage, in the same paragraph of the txt rolling offf screen for him to read, as gta.

Ok, I am thinking about getting one, well hopefully anyway. I am not in the techy end of things. So I will put it to you straight. Do you think that the PS3 will be better than the Xbox 360? Which is the best one to go for spec wise?

PS3. Their GPUs are about equal overall, but PS3's CPU is a lot more powerful. Also has a standard HDD and maybe Blu-ray which would be an enabler in some games.

LookingFor wrote:
    PS3. Their GPUs are about equal overall, but PS3's CPU is a lot more powerful. Also has a standard HDD and maybe Blu-ray which would be an enabler in some games.
    TBH (as I've said before) I'm seriously doubting the power of the cell now, they have still yet to show anything amazing in game and anything they have shown has been no jump above 360/PC graphics.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    TBH (as I've said before) I'm seriously doubting the power of the cell now, they have still yet to show anything amazing in game and anything they have shown has been no jump above 360/PC graphics.

Hmm, I was there, and I remember him talking about the d/ls but dont remember anything about the 360 being the only console to get them. (edit: as allways, I could be wrong)

• Advertisement

I was right, there is currently no public deal in place that says the PS3 will not have GTA4 downloads - this comes from a person in Microsoft who handles third party publishers, just about an hour ago.

Ciaran500 wrote:

I wouldn't say that at all. I've seen more really high end games on PS3 coming out of E3 than on 360, certainly. And Cell is showing up in the smaller touches in a lot of PS3 games, for now - things like soft dynamics, hair, cloth etc. In other games you can see it in the physics - the likes of seemingly dynamic environment destructability in MGS4, the likes of which I haven't seen ANYWHERE else yet, if that is truly all on the fly. Games like Mercs 2 are probably starting life on PS3 for a reason too..

Anyway, here's a little detail that might interest those wondering about upgradeability etc. In this interview (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=16969) Sony confirms that you'll be able to upgrade the hard disk using any standard 2.5" drive. Sony isn't even going to sell its own, you just pick up a regular one if you want to upgrade. According to 1up.com, also, you'll be able to use USB flashdrives and the like also, which might be useful on the €499 PS3..

LookingFor wrote:
    I wouldn't say that at all. I've seen more really high end games on PS3 coming out of E3 than on 360, certainly. And Cell is showing up in the smaller touches in a lot of PS3 games, for now - things like soft dynamics, hair, cloth etc. In other games you can see it in the physics - the likes of seemingly dynamic environment destructability in MGS4, the likes of which I haven't seen ANYWHERE else yet, if that is truly all on the fly. Games like Mercs 2 are probably starting life on PS3 for a reason too..
    Like what games?

There's no way you could assume there is dynamic environment destructability in MGS4 from that trailer. Its like any other trailer where averything is scripted.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Like what games?

Well, MGS4, obviously, FFXIII, Lair, Naughty Dog's untitled game, Heavenly Sword even..
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    There's no way you could assume there is dynamic environment destructability in MGS4 from that trailer. Its like any other trailer where averything is scripted.

I'm assuming from the slowdown in that part ;) There's little other reasonable explanation as to why it would slow down in that part and not in other places where a lot more is viewable. If that's not scripted, and I think it probably is not, it's the best destruction I've seen in a game bar none.

Hideo has already said that MGS4 could be done on the 360. Lair isn't ingame. FFXIII has great art direction but there nothing there to show that the cell is all powerful, just like Heavenly Sword and Naughty Dog's game.

What part of the MGS trailer you talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

arguing about cell's power is worthless right now IMO. if you don't think it's powerful then that's your loss. it is bloody powerful, but we're argueing over the first wave of ps3 games here. these things wont take advantage of cell, or even RSX, at all. they'll do what devs can do right now, but this slew of titles are the titles that dev teams learned how to work with ps3 on... these aren't the games where devs rubbed their hands together then did digital magic...

it is bloody powerful,

That will only be found out when the ps3 is sitting in front of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Does anyone have a suspicion that there will be some complete disaster/malfunction of some sort whent he ps3 ships...

How much testing could this brand new blu-ray technology have been given for example?
    How many dodgey blu-ray game disks will be shipped?

I dunno, I just have a suspicion that Sony has tried to do too much with this machine.

At the very least I can imagine another delay in releasing it...

:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 I like cars

Plug wrote:

Or the next MGS game.
    Or maybe the kind of game you like, Barbie Adventure eXtreme!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

psp- screens wernt really faulty.

Advertisement