Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle granted special dispensation to appoint Roeder

• 10-05-2006 8:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

Well it's been confirmed, just saw it on tv. I think it came down to a vote from the Premier League managers.
    This means they can appoint Roeder 'if they want' but they've made no secret of their wish to do so in the last week. Tough first job to come back into football.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

wasnt it roeder that did all the damage to get west ham relegated?

anyway, am not surprised. saw no reason why the rest of the league would be too worried about whether he has his pro coach badge or not!

but heres a question for you, if a manager brings a club up from the championship, or below, and doesnt have the correct coaching badge, i assume that his job is not at risk, its just you cant go into a club at PL level without it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Never thought about that, I thought Championship managers would have had to have a Pro License as well.
    I think people saw common sense in this case, he wasn't trying to take any shortcuts, there were circumstances that stopped him from doing the course, he had his name down before he suffered the brain tumor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its good news for Newcastle I think, he knows the club inside out and also has had 5 months to appraise his squad. Boomsong to go.

Of course this also leaves intrigue regarding Martin O'Niell who was bing heavily linked.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I would still be a little wary of his appointment.

Newcastle need a top manager with a proven record, Over the years most of newcastles managers in the premiership have never won too many trophys before taking over on Tyneside (Robson aside).

Roeder has done a great job since he took over from Souness, but then again it would not be hard to top Souness' contribution.

I wish him all the best and hope he finally helps the club win something.

Dyer to go!!! (65k per week for 4 games a season) Out I say!!!!

As for the Pro License thing it would make sense that any manager promoted to the Championship would have to do the Pro License in there first year, therefore ruling out them moving to the premiership with no license. That does not of course seem to address a manager being appointed straight into the premiership.

I read somewhere today that the reason Roeder does not have his License is because he was diagnosed with a brain tumor the year he was to take the course. Understandable why he never completed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

AFAIK, championship managers also have to have the license.

I think what got Roeder around it, was that he was half completed the course when he fell ill, and is going to take the course again next season anyway. That might be stipulated in the dispensation.

I'd have thought Curbishley would have been heavily linked with Newcastle. I can see Roeder's team declining as time goes on, and people figure him out (again).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Freedomfighter

I honestly dont think Roeder should be offered the job. Newcastle are desperate, he has a few good results. But players seem to step up more when there is a change in managers so the results were bound to happen. Remember if you have a fall out with a manager and are not getting your game if he is sacked all of a sudden your on a level playing field again. Roeder, to be honest is not a good manager. Shearer, has the possibility but wants to wait a year or two. O`Neill well is a good manager but i think it maybe to early for him as his wife still isnt well. Curbishley i think is a great manager and could do amazing things if given the chance.

Advertisement