Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Removing paint from a car.

Options
  • 10-05-2006 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭

No I'm not talking about the actual paint! Rather, I painted the fence in my garden with a paint sprayer and what ever way the wind blew it caught some of it and took my car and the neighbours car out of it. Now its not bad, as in you wouldn't notice standing a few feet away but when you go up close you'd spot it.

Does anyone know a way to get rid of it without damaging either car? I've been told something called Rubbin Compound is what I need but does anyone know anything about this or how to use it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Petrol, but be quick.

It'll remove the paint, but wash lots and lots with warm soapy water after. I did it before to remove tar, doesnt attack the laquer once you wash off immediatly.

Thinners will attack laquer I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Petrol is your man and as John said have a cloth ready at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

You don't say what you painted the fence with, some of the latest wood paints are water based so check and see what they recommend you clean the brush with and if it is water the above advice won't apply. If it is a solvent based paint I'd recommend you go to an auto factors and buy a can of 'gun cleaning thinners' which is a solvent and it won't remove laqcuer from your car. It is used extensively in garages for degreasing and wiping panels prior to painting, is reasonably safe to use (safer than petrol) and will shift all sorts of marks without damage. Vinny Byrnes in Santry will sell you a can of 5L of it for less than twenty quid. If the paint you used is water based and it has set and won't wash off with hot soapy water then you need to rub it off with T-Cut and a cloth - cancel your weekend if this is the case.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Its ronseal 5 year job, not sure if its water based or not to be honest with you, i will check it out. At this stange though yes it has set and the car wash didn't shift it either.

What is T-Cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

this happened to me once with woodstain, and Jif (Cif) took it off with plenty of strenuous rubbing. I dont know if that will affect the paintwork on the car though (it didnt with mine), so plenty of water to hand is probably a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Urgg, JIF (CIF?), petrol. Yikes, before you go to that extreme, I'd suggect a clay bar, which will lift any surface contaminents without damaging the paint.

After that you might need a mild abrasive polish to get the rest out. Patience is the key

Petrol should be a last resort

Advertisement