Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vw jetta ad

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I don't get the Jetta. It's the same as a Passat only an /eensy teensy/ little bit smaller. What's the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

Ken Shabby wrote:
    I don't get the Jetta. It's the same as a Passat only an /eensy teensy/ little bit smaller. What's the point?

its for the american market.

but its like the octavia versus the passat. you think you are getting a passat by buying the octavia but what you are getting is a golf. or indeed a jetta. :confused:

Isn't the Octavia built on the Passat platform? Aren't they pretty much identical apart from a few panels, bumpers, and the badge? It's hardly a Golf anyway, unless you're talking about equipment levels. Even with that, I don't see how you can compare the Octavia and the Golf.

Seriously though, I was in a VW dealer recently and the Passat and the Jetta were parked next to each other. You could hardly tell them apart. I asked the guy there what was the difference, and he couldn't really give me one, he just explained that the new Jetta had gotten bigger, so it looked much the same as the old Passat. Which would have made more sense if it hadn't been parked next to the new Passat...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Isn't the Octavia built on the Passat platform? Aren't they pretty much identical apart from a few panels, bumpers, and the badge? It's hardly a Golf anyway, unless you're talking about equipment levels. Even with that, I don't see how you can compare the Octavia and the Golf.

Both the Octavia and, for that matter, the Passat, are built on the Golf platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Anan1 wrote:
    Both the Octavia and, for that matter, the Passat, are built on the Golf platform.

The big difference is that the new passat is built on a stretched version of the golf V platform where as the octavia is built on the standard golf platform. The passat wheelbase is over 5 inches longer than the golf/octavia.

• Advertisement

Img_0516.jpg

and this....not a passat or jetta. but the phaeton !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

For that money I'd want a better arse!

Does anyone else find the LEDS used a bit odd to look at, they have no afterglow.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Ken Shabby wrote:
    QUOTE]

There's a lot of cars built on the golf IV platform, Golf,Bora,Touran,Leon,Cordoba,Octavia,A3 and more. Octavia is smaller than a passat, (practically the same as a Bora) though superb is slightly longer than outgoing model. Maybe it's the superb you're thinking of, which looks almost identical to the 04 Passat

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ken Shabby wrote:

Seriously though, I was in a VW dealer recently and the Passat and the Jetta were parked next to each other. You could hardly tell them apart. I asked the guy there what was the difference, and he couldn't really give me one, he just explained that the new Jetta had gotten bigger, so it looked much the same as the old Passat. Which would have made more sense if it hadn't been parked next to the new Passat...

This is a common mistake. The Octavia uses the same platform as the Golf/Jetta/A3/Leon/Toledo. The Jetta is just a saloon version of the Golf with the boot of the new Passat stuck on it. All these cars share the same running gear and alot of other components. VW just try to sell the Jetta as a more upmarket model. They tried this with the Bora and Vento too in the past to no avail.

The new Passat uses the new B6 platform which is bigger than the Golf/Octavia etc. size platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

[quote=Kermitt

There's a lot of cars built on the golf IV platform, Golf,Bora,Touran,Leon,Cordoba,Octavia,A3 and more. Octavia is smaller than a passat, (practically the same as a Bora) though superb is slightly longer than outgoing model. Maybe it's the superb you're thinking of, which looks almost identical to the 04 Passat[/quote]

True except for one thing. The Cordoba is actually just an Ibiza with a boot and this is based on the Polo/Fabia platform rather than the Golf.

Yeap the Superb uses an extended version of the old Passat running gear.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    For that money I'd want a better arse!

Does anyone else find the LEDS used a bit odd to look at, they have no afterglow.

Mike.

Mike........did you sort out your w124 yet ? Saw that you took a couple for a test drive.

I had no idea the Jetta/Octavia were built on the Golf platform. Learn something new every day, thanks. Still think having two cars that close together in size is ridiculous though. *shrug*

EDIT: And of course there's the "new" Fox, which is surely a Lupo? And of course "Fox" is an old Polo special, just to confuse things a little further. I dunno what their brand manager is on, but they're obviously off their head.

Mike, I actually prefer the LEDs, think the lack of an afterglow is somehow more modern and hip and with it and such and such. Just as long they're not aftermarket "crystal" jobs on the back of a Polo or suchlike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nope! The one I should have bought I did'nt as I wanted to check one much closer to home. It was'nt as good and by the time I got in touch with the seller of the first, it was gone!

Pah:mad:

I'm going to place a wanted ad in South-East Trader and see if that flushes any out of the woodwork.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mike65 wrote:
    Nope! The one I should have bought I did'nt as I wanted to check one much closer to home. It was'nt as good and by the time I got in touch with the seller of the first, it was gone!

Pah:mad:

I'm going to place a wanted ad in South-East Trader and see if that flushes any out of the woodwork.

Cop on to yourself, Mike. You'll have to come to Dublin to buy a W124. There are thousands over here. I reckon I see at least 5 different ones every day and I don't drive that much. I reckon only about 1 in 3 that I see are taxis

The amount of taxis that drive w124s is amazing. It surely is a good indication of the respect that the cars get in relation to reliability.

Mike, in order to get the spec that you may want you probably should head over to the UK. The bigger engines are more desirable on the second-hand market so should be easy to pick up a mint E200.

I've had mine now for 5 months and i want another one !

Advertisement