Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conveyancing - what does a quote include ?

Options
  • 10-05-2006 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Moving back to Ireland in 2004 we were recommended a solicitor by the estate agent. We didn't shop around (which I accept is our fault) and were quoted 0.8% for conveyancing fees. I realise now we could have got a better rate but this is not the biggest issue. The quote duly arrived in May 2004 (in accordance with Law Society rules) for 0.8% with the search fees (over 350 euros) etc spelled out plus a Postage/Admin fee of 50 euros (which was an annoyance but we accepted it).

The purchase was completed in August - we did have issues with the solicitor (it certainly felt like we were doing the majority of the work) but we were happy to get everything completed.

We received our bill in February this year (18 months later) which had the search fees etc now over 700 euros (without any explanation) and an extra charge of nearly 500 euros plus VAT - for dealing with our mortgage company. We queried this and were told that when the original quote was prepared the solicitor didn't realise we needed a mortgage although they now accept that we did state it clearly in the first meeting. They only realised we were having a mortgage in late July but again failed to notify us of an additional charge. They have also accepted that the search charges may have been overstated and that they will contact the government agency to query this but are adamant that we need to pay this "mortgage fee" although all I can see that they had to do was notify the mortgage company when they had received our money for completion of the house and to witness our signatures. We arranged the mortgage ourselves and completed all the forms.

We have been advised to pay the bill minus this ridiculous fee. I wondered has anyone else encountered anything like this before and can we make a complaint to the Law Society about what at best appears sharp practice ?

Advertisement