Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Steel (Wii)

Options
  • 10-05-2006 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsmvHRLqE0c&search=red%20steel

Had a really crappy feed from the Nintendo conference and didn't get to see this properly. Thought it sounded excelent in the description but the video has completley surpassed my expectations.

Watch it! Watch it now! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

That's actually different footage from that shown at the conference. The last two scenes are more or less the same though. Certainly looks interesting alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I honestly think this looks so crap it hurts. The way the gun/arm zoom around the screen looks really bad. I think future FPS could be cool using this control system but this looks awful. Kinda like what a cat would cough up

As an FPS without the new control this game would get terrible reviews but i fear just because it has a new control system people are like omg omg omg omg its so kewl n l33t r3dst33l rulz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

wow - that's even cooler.

i want it now. This is the game I'm most looking forward to on the wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Vegeta wrote:
    As an FPS without the new control this game would get terrible reviews but i fear just because it has a new control system people are like omg omg omg omg its so kewl n l33t r3dst33l rulz
    Why shouldn't they?

Its a completley new way of play and looks like so much fun. Definatly gameplay over graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

wow. extremely savage!

Crosshairs seemed a tad lazy at times but is the controller 'that' sensitive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

meh, I agree with Vegetta. It looks like a bog standard fps with the wii controls stuck in. The only other difference with it is people surrendering, but in reality, how many gamers would actually let them live anyway. I don't understand why some people are saying the graphics are amazing, tbh the textures looked pretty bland and lacked detail, and the water spilling out of the tank was terrible.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Why shouldn't they?

Its a completley new way of play and looks like so much fun. Definatly gameplay over graphics.

Oh I agree totally but I wasn't referring to the graphics, there's a difference between gameplay and how the game is played.

I love the new point and shoot mechanic but the gameplay itself jus looks like a tired old FPS.

Vegeta, I agree that something does look "off" about it, but still, for the first of it's kind it is pretty damn impressive. Remember, it's not all about looks; yes if the game came out on a 360 with it's control, people would laugh but that is not the case. Personally I think I will be able to deal with sub-standard graphics, for above average gameplay (and gameplay that my GF for one could easily enjoy (she hates mouse look) and even my family).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Blowfish wrote:
    meh, I agree with Vegetta. It looks like a bog standard fps with the wii controls stuck in. The only other difference with it is people surrendering, but in reality, how many gamers would actually let them live anyway. I don't understand why some people are saying the graphics are amazing, tbh the textures looked pretty bland and lacked detail, and the water spilling out of the tank was terrible.

Not to you go into the issue of the game being the same as any other FPS (that's your opinion, and frankly it looks like that on the surface but with the controller and lauded AI it should be different), but gamers will be encouraged to make people surrender as bosses will give them different weapons if they do, a type of bonus.

I just want to state for the record I am the biggest critic of a game sacraficing gameplay over graphics. Its all about the gameplay. I commend the devs of redsteel for going this route.

One of my favourite fps games ever is goldeneye hardly a graphical masterpiece but it had lovely level design, savage multiplayer and great length with all the difficulty settings.

I didn't like the level design (very differnt to graphics) in redsteel which is very important to me so that turned me off it straight away, i have seen no multiplayer or heard any talk of it and to me the demo more looked like a "how the wii controller will work on an FPS" which was great, bar the flailing arm/gun on screen but i'd get over that

• Advertisement

A tired old fps? I think you are being a little over-critical.

If you took away the mechanic it wouldn't be as exciting, but in fairness we know very little about the game at this stage. And all the media to this point has just focused on the controls.

So all we have to go on is controls and graphics.

They did mention something about the AI yesterday though - which sound slike it could be cool - if implemented well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

flogen wrote:
    Not to you go into the issue of the game being the same as any other FPS (that's your opinion, and frankly it looks like that on the surface but with the controller and lauded AI it should be different), but gamers will be encouraged to make people surrender as bosses will give them different weapons if they do, a type of bonus.
    Ah ok good, I hate it when games add 'new unique features' which in reality are completely pointless, if there is a purpose to it, then I am all for it. Maybe it's just me anyway, I tend to get bored of fps's really quickly unless they are pretty amazing. The last I played was Half Life 2 and thought it was great. I played a bit of Halo 2, but thought it was actually pretty poor. Can anyone recommend a good fps to a Ninty n00b?

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    A tired old fps? I think you are being a little over-critical.

If you took away the mechanic it wouldn't be as exciting, but in fairness we know very little about the game at this stage. And all the media to this point has just focused on the controls.

So all we have to go on is controls and graphics.

They did mention something about the AI yesterday though - which sound slike it could be cool - if implemented well.

well halo on the xbox had very good AI, turn up the difficulty and very quickly the grunts display the "clan" behaviour where they stick beside the elite officers. The grunts run away when they are one on one with you and will take cover at any given opportunity. They also display tactical awareness such as flanking.

I am not bashing the game one bit I agree we need to wait a bit until we are loike omg omg omg

As I said i think it was a controller demo rather than a full on game demo, there were even several technical issues with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

reminds me of XIII for some reason.

Doodee wrote:
    reminds me of XIII for some reason.
    also a ubisoft game IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

Vegeta wrote:

I didn't like the level design (very differnt to graphics) in redsteel which is very important to me so that turned me off it straight away

so you've played it then??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Blowfish wrote:
    Ah ok good, I hate it when games add 'new unique features' which in reality are completely pointless, if there is a purpose to it, then I am all for it.

I kinda like the balance here myself; I mean you're supposed to be the good guy (and a cop, I think), so technically you should be bringing people to justice, not slaughtering them... but if they made the game force you to get surrenders (and you lose when you kill) that would be horrific so they allow you to do it and make it a challenge to be the better player.

I think (from the mag report a while ago) I read that it starts encouraging you to just mill around hitting everything that moves, and slowly encourages to you force surrenders; from what I understand it takes more skill to disarm an enemy than it does to shoot the fúck out of them, so it's a challenge to the player, one that they can ignore if they like :D

hairball wrote:
    so you've played it then??

no but i saw it with my eyes, an internal area, an external street area and a roof top sword battle

plus if you want a game where the objective is to kill everything ,take your pick from the thousands already available.
    Hate or like what ninty are trying to do, they remain a singular and very important voice in an industry that's basically just resorted to cannibalising itself and regurgitating the same ol'.
    Whether or not nintendo ultimate deliver on their very laudable idealogy has yet to be seen, but for the moment they're certainly talking a different game and i'm definitely interested.

Vegeta wrote:
    no but i saw it with my eyes, an internal area, an external street area and a roof top sword battle
    ok fair enough, sorry for the smart arse remark, but what i should've said is maybe we should wait til we see more , i'm pretty cynical with stuff that claims to be groundbreaking too, but surely you have to admit the potential for the game and games like it is awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Seems a little sluggish..? Still, I think you'd really need to try it to get a feel for it properly, like with any Wii game, really.

hairball wrote:
    ok fair enough, sorry for the smart arse remark, but what i should've said is maybe we should wait til we see more , i'm pretty cynical with stuff that claims to be groundbreaking too, but surely you have to admit the potential for the game and games like it is awesome.

oh I'm with you there 100% i cant wait to see what they do with this bad boy, the tennis game sold me, very childish graphics but so so so much fun i'd say

I agree with the wait til we see more before we lavish games with praise, as the price for the wii is going to be so relatively low i will defo get this and another console either the PS3 or the 360.

yup.. ithink that's the other thing for me..the price point, even if its 300 eurons or so it'll still be half what the ps3 costs (at its best version) and tbh while MGS4 was a graphical showstopper i think i can wait for directx 10 cards and games for PC for that kinda thing, i want something thats different from the kind of games i play on my pc (its the only way i can justify buying yet another piece of gaming equipment:P)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Blowfish wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a good fps to a Ninty n00b?

i've recommended this countless times.. get wolfenstein: enemy territory
    without doubt the best FREE fps out there.

http://www.download.com/Return-to-Castle-Wolfenstein-Enemy-Territory-full-install-/3000-7565_4-10243511.html?tag=pop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Aiming seemed a bit slow, but that was probably the player's fault. I want online sword-fighting deathmatch.

Just watched the live footage on Gamespot, the interviewed on of the Devs. They did confirm multiplayer via splitscreen but could not say anything about online because Nintendo have obviously not even mentioned that!

It was a pretty good interview , although not much we don't already know, no buttons need pressing when your sword fighting, em, he mentioned something about how they may not be packing the best graphics but they were able to put more people on screen at once and some other things and that that was next-gen.

At the end, the intervieweer asked "and when is an estimated release date?" knowing full well it was a launch title, french man skipped a few beats and then managed "It will launch alongside the console". Can't blame him for trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

From Joystiq:
    I had high hopes for Ubisoft's Red Steel, anxiously waiting in line while each person took their turn on the 10-minute demo. Once I actually had a chance to play the game, the experience was somewhat disappointing. The biggest problem with the game (and most worrisome to Nintendo) is its control scheme. What we found playing Red Steel, along with many other third-party Wii titles, is that the controls felt too sensitive. There is an issue with moving your remote slightly out of the range of the TV-mounted system, resulting in the cross hairs going stir-crazy off to the side of the screen. If Ubisoft can fix the sensitivity, then the rest of the control scheme is intuitively laid out and works well. Also, the sword fighting is pretty lacking, with only a variety of slashes available. The sword does not follow every move, and each slash requires a dramatic sweep of the remote -- the simplicity gave the sword-fighting moments the impression of a minigame.

Thats somewhat worrying. I thought the sword actually followed what you did, not another pointless gesture recognition system like Zelda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I would buy that game if it was wire frame, Vegeta wtf? seriously wtf???? Bog standard FPS so what isnt a bog standard FPS? Shoot people with guns ...its that simple.

kdjac

Steve, in the interview I talked about the Dev actually said that sensitivity could be adjusted in-game (and not within the wii console), so I am sure it's definitly something they are looking at, and it's entirly possible that the option menu was unavailable in an early E3 demo. Also, I am pretty surprised that they thought the sword movements would have been 100% translated, I was expecting pre-defined animations (and I thought that was pretty clearly portrayed).

Not defeding something I have not played, just stating my views!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Steve, in the interview I talked about the Dev actually said that sensitivity could be adjusted in-game (and not within the wii console), so I am sure it's definitly something they are looking at, and it's entirly possible that the option menu was unavailable in an early E3 demo. Also, I am pretty surprised that they thought the sword movements would have been 100% translated, I was expecting pre-defined animations (and I thought that was pretty clearly portrayed).

Not defeding something I have not played, just stating my views!

If its pre-defined animations then whats the point? It's just replacing buttons with gesture recognition and adding nothing to the gameplay. Zelda was the same.

If this controller is going to take off they need to make better use of it. There's no reason for the sword not to move in 3d space just as the controller does. Then and only then will it have an advantage over a conventional joypad.

Advertisement