Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Steel (Wii)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yeah, im let down by the lack of proper sword fighting, but hopefully someone will try it (come on lucasarts finally bring out a starwars game that would interest me)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

madrab wrote:
    yeah, im let down by the lack of proper sword fighting, but hopefully someone will try it (come on lucasarts finally bring out a starwars game that would interest me)
    Oh boy. With the speaker in the Wiimote giving off the lightsabre's hummmm? Awesome. Someone better be working on this right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

KdjaC wrote:
    I would buy that game if it was wire frame

Man if you're happy with this level of game development thats cool.

What other than the controls is this game doing that impresses you so much. I watched it twice and thought it worse on the second viewing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

steviec wrote:
    If its pre-defined animations then whats the point? It's just replacing buttons with gesture recognition and adding nothing to the gameplay.

It adds an intuative (and fun) aspect unavailable with button pressing. Look at the tennis game, it is also basically gesture recognition for the different strokes but I could see my family getting into that MUCH easier than before. I do agree that eventually (and star wars would be perfect, even for batting away the bullets or something) there should be a real push towards trying something in an entirly un-defined way, but I was not expecting it with the first try. I mean, something was always going to be "scripted" be it the enemy reaction, the parrys or swings. Sure, moving the sword in exact accordance with the user would probably be possible, but it would bring up so many issue with regards looks, clipping and fluidity (<- word?) among others. Just look at the gun in the game, it moves in "real-move" (Did I invent a new term? I hope it doesn't catch cause it sucks!) and you can see it looks awkward and unnatural sometimes. I am sure it will get there in time, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Who knows, maybe in Red Steel 2.

Vegeta wrote:
    What other than the controls is this game doing that impresses you so much.

What, other than the control, is this console doing that impresses you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Vegeta wrote:
    What other than the controls is this game doing that impresses you so much.
    Isn't that enough? If we're not allowed to get excited about a completely new way of controlling first person shooters what can we get excited about?

• Advertisement

ObeyGiant wrote:
    what can we get excited about?

Fifa 2008; Season August-Dec
    Fifa 2008; Season Jan-May
    Fifa 2008; UEFA cup edition
    Fifa 2008; Champions League edition
    Fifa 2008; Pre-League Friendlies.

What more could you possibly want?! Enough of this innovation crap, give us more of the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Change is bad mmmmmmmkay.

People are always intimidated by Nintendo, if only people could get out of the console loyalty mindset, as a company Nintendo know how to make good games, no one else comes close.

This controller follows on from the donkey konga bongos, Nintendo are alone in the console world in reacting to criticism that they are turning kids in to fat couch potatoes, I applaud them for innovating at the same time as adding value for non-couch potatoes.

What, other than the control, is this console doing that impresses you?

Well the look of Zelda impressed me and I don't care if I had to play it with my shoe. I will prob buy it on the cube anyway even though i intend to buy a wii.

The new Super Mario level design looked very good

The way the console is always connected so that when it is turned on there may be little surprises awaiting me.

All of those things are beside my main point though, that red steel game looks average beyond belief. What happens in 12 months time when the control system isn't new anymore and games go back to be being judged by their content

well i simply get more excited about games like Half-Life 2 or Halo cos I feel they brought new things to both PC and console FPS games and did something to improve the genre. Whereas redsteel looks like the same old thing but with a new controller.

Its like Black, great graphics, lovely details, played nicely. Hyped up to the bollox, destructable environments this explosions that. In the end it was a very short game with no multiplayer

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Isn't that enough? If we're not allowed to get excited about a completely new way of controlling first person shooters what can we get excited about?

I agree i am excited but i'd rather be saying "man this game would be class with a standard controller let alone this kick ass wii controller" rather than saying "this control system is sweet but the game is a bit sh1te"

Fifa 2008; Pre-League Friendlies.

What more could you possibly want?! Enough of this innovation crap, give us more of the same!

ROFL

• Advertisement

Yes, some good points, although I doubt you are going to buy the GC version of Zelda if you have a Wii, and the always on things is probably rarely going to update much (See, 360 content updates, although hopefully I am proved wrong). Anyway, Black was the peak of a generation, the final culmination of it's power. Red Steel is the first of it's kind.

I agree with you, that in terms of graphics and such, it does not look like much of a milestone but I guess none of us will really know until we get our hands on it and videos just cannot portray the feeling of the new control, ultimatly we will only be able to experience that first hand.

yeah I am a natural cynic though, i should write for edge (if I had any talent) so i get to stomp all over new games.

Yeah i know I am being a bit rough on the game and could very easily end up eating my words as they do have a way to go before it is released and could improve the things i disliked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

graphics look as good as anyother fps ive seen, its just the lighting ,
    the pictures quite darkt o notice the cross hair, the way its edited makes it seem lazy, i doubt it will be,
    looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

Vegeta wrote:
    I agree i am excited but i'd rather be saying "man this game would be class with a standard controller let alone this kick ass wii controller" rather than saying "this control system is sweet but the game is a bit sh1te"

agreed..it needs to have both qualities

Advertisement