Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbies, advice please?!?!

Options
  • 10-05-2006 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi guys,

Any thoughts would be v.v.v helpful.

1. The Developer has planning permission to develop for 10 years in all so it is v important we find out if they are going to develop in / around our vicinity. If the developers apply to build behind us for example (or anywhere else) we cannot object according to the contract. Even if for example our light is completely blocked??

2. We are obliged to ask the Developers permission before we can apply for our own planning permission, for example if we wanted to put on a conservatory or convert the attic?

3. Our back garden will be on a slope (we are at the very back of the Park). The gradient of the back garden is not specified / drainage is not discussed.

4. We may have an ESB substation or mini-pillar on our site and we cannot object.

Are these stipulations normal? Should we be spooked?!

All your thoughts would be welcome!!

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't know if it's any use, but there is also a legal discussion forum, you may get a better idea if they are normal stipulations in the contract (not that this isn't the place to ask also).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Maj

I put down a booking deposit on a 2-bed townhouse in the last row in the Park 2 months ago. At the time they didn't tell me about the fact that it would be built on a bank with steps leading up to the front door. The contracts were with my solicitor when a friend casually mentioned it to me. I rang the estate agents and they were very snooty, I asked how many steps, the girl didn't know but estimated 10-12. I had to pull out because I need a house that is wheelchair and buggy accessable, it was very disappointing.

I was angry with the estate agents, surely this is a major difference to the showhouse that should have been pointed out? When I rang them they told me that "obviously" the back garden would be on the flat which at the time I was dubious about - it looks like I was right! They also failed to mention the annual management fee!

Oh and by the way - I'm still waiting to get my €3000 back - it was cashed by the estate agents straight away and I'm ringing them everyday with no joy.

I was looking forward to joining you guys in Charlesland :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

thats terrible Maj - how bloody dissappointing for you! The estate Agents concerned seem to do that a lot - ie. decline to mention the differences to the show house

It's the bad attitude that gets to me! The girl I rang to ask my questions spoke to me like I was stupid. Ah well, better to find out now than after signing, at least I'll get my money back...eventually!

Geraldine I hope everything works out for you - but don't be afraid to hassle them if you have any questions or concerns. But be aware that who you are talking to may not have a clue about it - like the girl that told me my back garden would be flat "obviously"!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wifey

Maj wrote:
    I put down a booking deposit on a 2-bed townhouse in the last row in the Park 2 months ago. At the time they didn't tell me about the fact that it would be built on a bank with steps leading up to the front door. The contracts were with my solicitor when a friend casually mentioned it to me. I rang the estate agents and they were very snooty, I asked how many steps, the girl didn't know but estimated 10-12. I had to pull out because I need a house that is wheelchair and buggy accessable, it was very disappointing.

I was angry with the estate agents, surely this is a major difference to the showhouse that should have been pointed out? When I rang them they told me that "obviously" the back garden would be on the flat which at the time I was dubious about - it looks like I was right! They also failed to mention the annual management fee!

Oh and by the way - I'm still waiting to get my €3000 back - it was cashed by the estate agents straight away and I'm ringing them everyday with no joy.

I was looking forward to joining you guys in Charlesland :-(

I dont know if it is of any benefit, but we were told that the reason our downstars loo door is so wide,(infact all internal doors downstairs) legally they have to be a certain width to be whellchair accessible, So you could have had your solicitor argue that point for you & at least get them to put in a ramp. But if you havent got your money back yet, get a solicitor's letter today, all it's doing is earning intrest in their bank account! You may ask for that back as well! I really hate bad business people!!::(

• Advertisement

Actually Maj, I think someone in our area "Wood" is going to be selling???? if you want to PM me I will let you when. It is deffinately on "The Flat", and it's already been carpeted etc??

The estate agents have promised that the cheques went out this week but if I haven't got it when I arrive home today I will be onto them again tomorrow! I'm a good solid nagger!

Fingers Crossed, let us know how you get on.

Ok I got onto that blasted estate agents this morning. Last week they promised me that I’d have my money by last Friday. On Tuesday they told me I should get it on Wednesday. Then this morning they said it would be posted out “tomorrow at the latest”.

It’s very hard to argue when they’re telling you that it’s on the way but I just don’t believe them. It’s very frustrating! I might try to ring the builders because apparently that’s where the cheques are coming from, does anyone know a number or contact I could call?

It’s going to be a lean month in the Maj house if I don’t get this money back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Thats dreadful

There is a very interesting article written by a solicitor in the Property Section (bottom of page 10) of the Indo today about what builders can and CANNOT say in their contracts, I wish I'd known some of these when I was signing.

• Advertisement

Cheers I will look at that!

Got on to Durkan in the end and they claim they never got the contracts back so there is no cheque on the way. Anyway, my solicitor is onto it now, they can fight it out among themselves. Just goes to show that the estate agents will tell you whatever you want to hear.

Advertisement