Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early Childcare Supplement

Options
  • 10-05-2006 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

I've been advised that I'm eligible to receive the ECS payment. The letter goes on to say it will amount to 1,000e pa, and will be given out on a quarterly basis. I'm really happy about this, as it changes alot for me at home, including my return to work. But, someone said to me today that they thought it was a 'one off' and would only be done for this year.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭jaybird

Actually its €1000 a year until your child turns 6. Its to be paid quarterly, so thats €250 every 3 months per child until they are 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As Jaybid says, it is given up to the age of 6.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2005/1207/Budget3.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Not a whole lot really, when you think about it.

Certainly not for the poor buggers that have to pay a fortune to creches for the privilege of working, and having a family.

State subsidies anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not a whole lot really, when you think about it.

Certainly not for the poor buggers that have to pay a fortune to creches for the privilege of working, and having a family.

State subsidies anyone?

It's €1000 more than we got last year. Every little helps (especially when the missus's sister owns a creche:D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Thanks a mil for the links everyone :)
    Don't know why I didn't think to check this site before I posted the thread.

Stekelly & Roundy - you are both right.. its better than last year, but you can't get far with it either. I was in touch with my eldest sons playschool to see what rates would be like to have both my boys looked after in a couple of months, 330e pw :eek: :(

(That is one full time, and the other in after school club)

I don't doubt for a second that there are far more expensive places to send the children (the closer you go to town).

This country is so backward it is insane. You get stuck on the social because you are financially better off not to go back to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

ST* wrote:
    You get stuck on the social because you are financially better off not to go back to work.

Maybe financially, but not mentally or morally. I never even considered staying at home and going on the dole after my child. It was my choice to have a child, and it's my responsibility to provide for her by working, not to provide for you as well.

Sorry if that sounds a bit aggressive, but we are all in the same boat of providing creche school bills etc, so it annoys me to hear that line of the dole being better being bandied about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you are in work and you stay working it is easier then trying to get back into the work force.
    If you are at home recieving single parents alloance and FIS to top it up you are not on the dole
    or in receipt of enemployment benifit or assistance as you are not currently advailible to work.

If you are luckly enough to have the skills/qualifications for a job that is a considerible ammount above the minium wage
    then if is possible to just about afford childcare.

If you are unlucky enough that your employment options are limited so you would have to work shifts,
    either late evening or nights then it is very hard to find a creche or childminder.
    For some people it does not make sense unfortunatly to try go back to work when their children are very young,
    if they are on thier own, thier household being down 200 to 400 euros a month when the cost of living is rising so much.

The system is very flawed and there should be better options for everyone.
    Yes there are re education programs and Fas courses, some of which have some limited childcare or
    have a small child care subsidy but this can be very hit and miss and are being cut back every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

hollyj wrote:
    Sorry if that sounds a bit aggressive
    Don't worry it wasn't.
    It was just a judgemental and unhelpful post. :)
    Thaedydal wrote:
    For some people it does not make sense unfortunatly to try go back to work when their children are very young, if they are on thier own, thier household being down 200 to 400 euros a month when the cost of living is rising so much..
    I fell into this bracket. Finding low rental accomodation was very difficult, and the ones I viewed were riddled with dampness in the walls. So I made a choice. My sons health meant more to me than me, so I didn't return to work and chose a house that was more suitable for a new baby.
    Thaedydal wrote:
    The system is very flawed and there should be better options for everyone. Yes there are re education programs and Fas courses, some of which have some limited childcare or have a small child care subsidy but this can be very hit and miss and are being cut back every year.
    Education is they only way I was able to do something constructive for now, and not have money deducted from my OPF payment. I took up psychology in Sept, and really enjoy it. Thanks btw Thaedydal. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭diarmuidh

govt should have done it better...some sort of tax credit or even better payment direct to the creche as soon as you have your child registered...it seems that thousands of EU nationals (with kids living in their native countries) are getting this payment now (it is their right but which eejit civil servant designed it this way!!!)..the bill is running into 10s of millions...govt mismgmt strikes again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yeah, but the same EU nationals pay loads of tax into the Irish Exchequer - it's only fair they get some benefits in return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

diarmuidh wrote:
    govt should have done it better...some sort of tax credit or even better payment direct to the creche as soon as you have your child registered...it seems that thousands of EU nationals (with kids living in their native countries) are getting this payment now (it is their right but which eejit civil servant designed it this way!!!)..the bill is running into 10s of millions...govt mismgmt strikes again!

I can tell you that as a stay at home parent we would struggle without this payment. In fact this payment played a part in allowing me to stay at home with the kids. Should we be penalised just because we're not sending our kids to the creche?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

posted by Crea: I can tell you that as a stay at home parent we would struggle without this payment. In fact this payment played a part in allowing me to stay at home with the kids. Should we be penalised just because we're not sending our kids to the creche?

I don't think anyone should be judged for what they decide whats best for them and their children.

I chose to have two children and give up my career to be with them when they needed me. I couldn't sit back and let the childminder look after them while they were teething, vomiting, taking first steps etc.........and now slowley im getting more and more work (self employed thankfully), but work partime.

Now im seperating, and cant survive on my own, and will have to apply for rent allowance to help out. Its just the way things worked out. Its my choice, and no one is going to make me feel guilty about claiming benefits, as ive done my share of paying prsi long before I had children..........and children don't stay young forever!!

HTH:)

Advertisement