Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Back - Without Writing a letter?

Options
  • 10-05-2006 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows whether it is now(May) possible to ring the tax office and get them to send you out your tax without needing to write them a letter.

Last year, earlier in the year than this, I had to send them my P60 and write a short letter. However, a friend of mine rang up a few weeks later and they just posted it out to him.

I'm presuming that the later in the year it is the more amenable they are to this easier option. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ublinia2

The tax office can send you out tax back for previous years worked . If you want to claim back for last year though you will have to send in p45s , p60 etc as they dont yet have updated that information received from the companies who you worked for.

If you wait until septemeber of this year , by this stage the Revenue should have received the information and returns from your various employers and have all the information up on their systems ( about what wage you earned and tax you paid in 2005). You can then request a balancing statement ( i think its called a p21 ) and you will get a cheque out in the post if you overpaid.

If you are claiming back tax , i would advise you to check out the flat rate expenses ( see Revenue.ie ).These are different depending on what job you have and if you have changed careers during a tax year , you may be able to claim something extra here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

would be great if they could just automate the process and send you out a balancing statement and cheque, without you having to do anything.

wishful thinking!

got my taxback in circa 2 weeks this year. they do tend to be very efficient. in the UK you have to fill out a 12 page form (if memory serves). At least here you just have to send in your p60 and a covering letter.

think you can claim taxback by email. but not sure how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I can't make head nor tail of revenue.ie. Surely claiming back emergency tax would be a good idea for an FAQ. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

amp wrote:
    I can't make head nor tail of revenue.ie. Surely claiming back emergency tax would be a good idea for an FAQ. :rolleyes:

If you unban me from TCN I'll answer any questions you got :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

amp wrote:

AMP: your very own FAQ :D

Claiming back tax during the tax year (e.g. if student or made unemployed), you fill out this form:

http://www.revenue.ie/forms/p50_e.pdf

Claiming back tax from the previous year, you need your P60:

2. I think I may have overpaid tax last year - can I claim a refund now or is it too late?

No - it’s not too late. However, it is simpler to make a claim during the course of the tax year. By doing so you ensure that any refund due can be made by you employer during the year and avoid the need for further contact with the tax office at the end of the year.

3. What must I submit when making a claim?

If you have not made your claim before the end of the tax year you should submit the following to your district office:

Form P60 (and, if relevant, a Form P60 for your spouse) for the tax year. Form P60 is issued to you by your employer after the end of the tax year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 deebm

Dont forget to claim for medical expenses and any bin charges too, most people forget to claim this.

You may also be able to claim for rent paid

Advertisement