Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pentium D 805 (The Uber One)

• 10-05-2006 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭

www.tomshardware.co.uk has a review of this cpu and just exactly how good it is. It can outperform an athlon fx-60 which is about 8 times the price.Its a 2.66ghz cpu but you can overclock it on air to 3.8 and with watercooling to 4.1ghz.
    Will you invest in one as its a mere 130euro. I am seriously considering it as my first watercooling project.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

plonk wrote:
    www.tomshardware.co.uk has a review of this cpu and just exactly how good it is. It can outperform an athlon fx-60 which is about 8 times the price.Its a 2.66ghz cpu but you can overclock it on air to 3.8 and with watercooling to 4.1ghz.
    Will you invest in one as its a mere 130euro. I am seriously considering it as my first watercooling project.

il never go to the enemy for a gaming system ;)
    but xeons aint too bad :p

what is the best board to get for one of these that is sli or crossfire?

for about 120-150 euros or below

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

plonk wrote:

That's simply incredible :eek:

gline wrote:
    what is the best board to get for one of these that is sli or crossfire?

for about 120-150 euros or below

ABIT LG-81 I heard is a good motherboard for overclocking 805's

Sean^DCT4 wrote:
    That's simply incredible :eek:

ABIT LG-81 I heard is a good motherboard for overclocking 805's

how much??

any good asus's for ocing for about 150 (has to have slior crossfire)??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Check here
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Asus_177.html
    but I doubt youll get an asus crossfire board for that price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

hmm.. i've been an amd man for some time but these figures are pulling towards intel.. only things hoilding me back is getting a new water block and ddr2 ram :)

djmarkus wrote:
    hmm.. i've been an amd man for some time but these figures are pulling towards intel.. only things hoilding me back is getting a new water block and ddr2 ram :)

yeh ddr2 suks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Don't dell ship alot of even their lower end business desktops with pentium d processors? I saw one awhile ago for 579e inc deliv. Might be a cheap way around a new computer if you throw in more ram and a decent card, especially if its a good as it seems

gline wrote:
    yeh ddr2 suks :(

Soon enough we all will have to use it
    Havok: Its only the P4 D805 thats any good for overclocking as it has a x20 multiplier
    All the other P4s are nothing special

if anyone wants to swap a decent 775 board for a dfi sli-dr expert pm me, seriously

im gonna order an 805, seems the nice cheap option, great for a guy with little money ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

wow thats awesome, you could get up a 4ghz rig for less than a 4ghz cpu!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Perfect timing have just been looking for a 775 chip for my Apple G5 project anybody want to buy an opteron 146 and asus A8N SLI Mobo

plonk wrote:
    Soon enough we all will have to use it
    Havok: Its only the P4 D805 thats any good for overclocking as it has a x20 multiplier
    All the other P4s are nothing special

Sorry, my mistake. Might look into getting one myself though. Never had the money for an fx or the like...

Ya just be careful.
    Its not as good as it looks. You will still need to spend a fair amount on a good mobo and ram and Psu-which would want to be above 480w
    But still not as much as a Fx-60;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

has amd mentioned anything about lowering prices like intel has?

djmarkus wrote:
    has amd mentioned anything about lowering prices like intel has?

i thought intel just released lower end chips not reducing the prices of currently released chips???

No the P4 950 d got reduced by about 200euro some of their cpu got reduced in price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

HavoK wrote:
    Don't dell ship alot of even their lower end business desktops with pentium d processors? I saw one awhile ago for 579e inc deliv. Might be a cheap way around a new computer if you throw in more ram and a decent card, especially if its a good as it seems
    Yeah, I have an Optiplex GX520 with a Pentium D 820 as my arsing around PC.
    It's currently running Apache on Gentoo and doing, well, not much else :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Ah Gline.. If only u'd ave kept ur mach II...... Id like to see them clock on that..

Seems to be a god damn bargin, custom pc where raving about em too.. Id get one but i can be bothered to change my ram n mobo..

unklerosco wrote:
    Ah Gline.. If only u'd ave kept ur mach II...... Id like to see them clock on that..

Seems to be a god damn bargin, custom pc where raving about em too.. Id get one but i can be bothered to change my ram n mobo..

i dont think these would oc much more on ice, though i havent seen any results

• Advertisement

You're just in denial ;-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

plonk wrote:

Will overclocking it to those speeds reduce the life span of the chip by much?
    I'm thinking of getting a new rig during the summer and I was going to get
    x2 4400 or 4200 but 130 euro for a chip that outperforms an fx-60. That's just insane value for money. I want to have the computer for at least 1.5 or 2years.

Will overclocking it to those speeds reduce the life span of the chip by much?
    I'm thinking of getting a new rig during the summer and I was going to get
    x2 4400 or 4200 but 130 euro for a chip that outperforms an fx-60. That's just insane value for money. I want to have the computer for at least 1.5 or 2years.

nah it wont really shorten the life as you are not increasing the vcore which is the usual killer, as long as you have a decent cooler on it you'll be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Wouldn't a 920D be better?

I thought they regularly got well over 4ghz when on decent cooling. They're a newer process and shouldn't make as much heat?

I was considering the 920D before. When I build my next rig might get a Conroe compatible board and put a 920 in it, ready to be replaced by an affordable conroe whenever they're available in ireland...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

gline wrote:
    nah it wont really shorten the life as you are not increasing the vcore which is the usual killer, as long as you have a decent cooler on it you'll be fine

God dammit I'm tempted to get it now. I've always been an amd man myself but that chip is calling to me.

Have AMD said anything about this kick in the nads? I still can't get over the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

damn interesting results, looks like a good chip for people on a budget (like myself :rolleyes:) but how much more would you have to spend to buy a mobo and psu that could handle it?
    gline wrote:
    actually if you read the article tou will see that you need to increase the vcore to get to 3.8ghz and again to 4.0ghz. but i'd be happy with 3.6ghz!
    Havok wrote:
    Was thinking that myself but would the crappy dell psu be able to cope cope with the increased wattage demands?

One thing that confused me was what ddr2 ram you would need at 3.6,3.8 and 4+ ghz??? not too aufait with the whole ddr2 thing, only that it aint much faster even at higher soeeds cause of latency

afaik you can use any ram and just use dividers ... no?

• Advertisement

This would actually work out well for me. Originally I had been intending this summer putting an amd computer together but I would've had to buy everything new....at least with this route I could save the 2gigs of ddr2 ram I already have and put the cash saved into the other components.

Interesting....*strokes beard*

gotta get me some ddr2 now :(
    getting this tomrrow
    (first one on the page)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_DDR2_Memory_401.html

is it any good? is there any better for that price?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

And you can get a perfectly stable Overclock, because you are not passing 200mhz so as far as the chipset is concerned your running at stock....

Me thinks im going to "invest" in one of these n build a vid editing pc with it... €130... bargin ;-p

unklerosco wrote:
    Me thinks im going to "invest" in one of these n build a vid editing pc with it... €130... bargin ;-p

yeh komplett have shipped mine, for that price you CANT lose :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Your a disgrace to your avatar gline, shame on you.

• Advertisement

B00MSTICK wrote:
    Your a disgrace to your avatar gline, shame on you.

myalligience lies to the best overclocking chip, i dont ggive a crap who makes it ;)

anyway my other system is a 146 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Darwin

I believe you don't have to chuck out your old DDR RAM if you're planning on going this route - the Sapphire PURE CrossFire II mobo is an LGA775 board that uses DDR RAM. Unfortunately it doesn't support vcore adjustments, but this chip will hit 3.6Ghz on stock? Anybody think it a worthwhile upgrade to go from a P4 Northwood (@3.5Ghz) to this? Thanks...

Darwin wrote:
    I believe you don't have to chuck out your old DDR RAM if you're planning on going this route - the Sapphire PURE CrossFire II mobo is an LGA775 board that uses DDR RAM. Unfortunately it doesn't support vcore adjustments, but this chip will hit 3.6Ghz on stock? Anybody think it a worthwhile upgrade to go from a P4 Northwood (@3.5Ghz) to this? Thanks...

definitly as this cpu is dual core, and 1 meg cache per core, so that would be 3.6ghz on each core ;)

Right you've twisted my arm, dual core it is then:D Now I need to find a buyer for my Northy!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

noob question, sorry... any advice appreciated...

I picked up a Medion PC at Aldi a while back :o . CPU is a described as: "Pentium D Dual Core Processor 830 3.0GHz, 2 x 1MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB. Extremely low noise due to new BTX form factor with optimised air stream, heat pipe cooler and quiet fan."

As far as I can tell from that article, its clock multiplier is x15. Does this mean it would be worth overclocking this CPU? Would it def require extra cooling?

If it's relevant, I have 1GB of RAM, which is DDR2-533MHz SDRAM.

I see lots of Pentium Extreme screenshots in the article - is this info only available for certain CPUs?

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

If you could find a program which would tell you what temperature the processor runs at at the moment you'd have a better idea of how well it would overclock.

You'd also want to check out what power supply is in it. A Pentium D at 4.1ghz is meant to draw 250 Watts +. I don't think it'd be worth the speed to be running a heater like that in my room.

Does anyone know if this Sapphire motherboard will support the Pentium D? I've tried their website but it doesn't say! There's not much info on the web either as it seems to be a newish board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Carefull now the 805 isnt very good for games, the FX-60 will rip it apart in that department, the 805 is better for video encoding if thats what ya wanna do

Psycopat wrote:
    Carefull now the 805 isnt very good for games, the FX-60 will rip it apart in that department, the 805 is better for video encoding if thats what ya wanna do

Sorry but this thing clocked at 4.0ghz is better than an FX-60
    Read the article
    http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores_uk/page31.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

plonk wrote:
    Sorry but this thing clocked at 4.0ghz is better than an FX-60
    Read the article
    http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores_uk/page31.html

as far as i can see there its only better at Quake 4 and the FX 60 was better at rendering. how much would you spend on cooling to overclock to 4.1GHZ, buying different ram and a motherboard?

FX-60 is €1070

Intel chip - €140
    Mobo - say €160-200
    Ram - say €150 for 1gig
    Watercooling - €150-200

Total €600-700 for a full FX-60 equal or €1070 for an FX-60 alone... The items i piced are €641
    HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

so u still have €359 to spend..
    Case
    PSU
    GFX
    DVD

Total €1158... €88 more than an FX-60...

There's ur answer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

We've been discussing this for ages over here...

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17548523

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Who in their right minds buys FX60's anyway (no offence wizz) You should compare it to overclocked 3800 X2s or Opteron 165 which can get to 3ghz. They are more expensive (mine cost 250 was meant to be OEM but i got it retail). So your getting maybe 5 extra frames tops.

Dont get me wrong it looks like a great chip and if I had the coin id be interested in buying one aswell. Intel are definitley back on track anyway. Its just not as amazing as people are making out though.

Looking at tha oc.uk forum shows that at 3.85ghz his load temp is 55C on water. His SANDRA scores are muck compared to my opty @ 2.8 on stock hsf (44C load) Of course this is just one persons chip the results will vary, 4ghz on air? Not bad for 140 quid though. Still DDR2...

gline will give us the run down when he gets his I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

B00MSTICK wrote:
    Who in their right minds buys FX60's anyway (no offence wizz)
    :D:p:o:o

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Noone should switch to a Pentium 4 no matter how overclockable or cheap it is.

This is the Pentium 4's last stand and Intel are just getting rid of stock.

A 4ghz P4 still gets whooped by overclocked Athlon 64s.....

So, Everyone, together.

"I pledge allegiance to Advanced Micro devices......"

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement