Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pentium D 805 (The Uber One)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

gotta get me some ddr2 now :(
    getting this tomrrow
    (first one on the page)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_DDR2_Memory_401.html

is it any good? is there any better for that price?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

And you can get a perfectly stable Overclock, because you are not passing 200mhz so as far as the chipset is concerned your running at stock....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Me thinks im going to "invest" in one of these n build a vid editing pc with it... €130... bargin ;-p

unklerosco wrote:
    Me thinks im going to "invest" in one of these n build a vid editing pc with it... €130... bargin ;-p

yeh komplett have shipped mine, for that price you CANT lose :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Your a disgrace to your avatar gline, shame on you.

• Advertisement

B00MSTICK wrote:
    Your a disgrace to your avatar gline, shame on you.

myalligience lies to the best overclocking chip, i dont ggive a crap who makes it ;)

anyway my other system is a 146 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Darwin

I believe you don't have to chuck out your old DDR RAM if you're planning on going this route - the Sapphire PURE CrossFire II mobo is an LGA775 board that uses DDR RAM. Unfortunately it doesn't support vcore adjustments, but this chip will hit 3.6Ghz on stock? Anybody think it a worthwhile upgrade to go from a P4 Northwood (@3.5Ghz) to this? Thanks...

Darwin wrote:
    I believe you don't have to chuck out your old DDR RAM if you're planning on going this route - the Sapphire PURE CrossFire II mobo is an LGA775 board that uses DDR RAM. Unfortunately it doesn't support vcore adjustments, but this chip will hit 3.6Ghz on stock? Anybody think it a worthwhile upgrade to go from a P4 Northwood (@3.5Ghz) to this? Thanks...

definitly as this cpu is dual core, and 1 meg cache per core, so that would be 3.6ghz on each core ;)

Right you've twisted my arm, dual core it is then:D Now I need to find a buyer for my Northy!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

noob question, sorry... any advice appreciated...

I picked up a Medion PC at Aldi a while back :o . CPU is a described as: "Pentium D Dual Core Processor 830 3.0GHz, 2 x 1MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB. Extremely low noise due to new BTX form factor with optimised air stream, heat pipe cooler and quiet fan."

As far as I can tell from that article, its clock multiplier is x15. Does this mean it would be worth overclocking this CPU? Would it def require extra cooling?

If it's relevant, I have 1GB of RAM, which is DDR2-533MHz SDRAM.

I see lots of Pentium Extreme screenshots in the article - is this info only available for certain CPUs?

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

If you could find a program which would tell you what temperature the processor runs at at the moment you'd have a better idea of how well it would overclock.

You'd also want to check out what power supply is in it. A Pentium D at 4.1ghz is meant to draw 250 Watts +. I don't think it'd be worth the speed to be running a heater like that in my room.

Does anyone know if this Sapphire motherboard will support the Pentium D? I've tried their website but it doesn't say! There's not much info on the web either as it seems to be a newish board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Carefull now the 805 isnt very good for games, the FX-60 will rip it apart in that department, the 805 is better for video encoding if thats what ya wanna do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Psycopat wrote:
    Carefull now the 805 isnt very good for games, the FX-60 will rip it apart in that department, the 805 is better for video encoding if thats what ya wanna do

Sorry but this thing clocked at 4.0ghz is better than an FX-60
    Read the article
    http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores_uk/page31.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

plonk wrote:
    Sorry but this thing clocked at 4.0ghz is better than an FX-60
    Read the article
    http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores_uk/page31.html

as far as i can see there its only better at Quake 4 and the FX 60 was better at rendering. how much would you spend on cooling to overclock to 4.1GHZ, buying different ram and a motherboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

FX-60 is €1070

Intel chip - €140
    Mobo - say €160-200
    Ram - say €150 for 1gig
    Watercooling - €150-200

Total €600-700 for a full FX-60 equal or €1070 for an FX-60 alone... The items i piced are €641
    HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

so u still have €359 to spend..
    Case
    PSU
    GFX
    DVD

Total €1158... €88 more than an FX-60...

There's ur answer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

We've been discussing this for ages over here...

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17548523

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Who in their right minds buys FX60's anyway (no offence wizz) You should compare it to overclocked 3800 X2s or Opteron 165 which can get to 3ghz. They are more expensive (mine cost 250 was meant to be OEM but i got it retail). So your getting maybe 5 extra frames tops.

Dont get me wrong it looks like a great chip and if I had the coin id be interested in buying one aswell. Intel are definitley back on track anyway. Its just not as amazing as people are making out though.

Looking at tha oc.uk forum shows that at 3.85ghz his load temp is 55C on water. His SANDRA scores are muck compared to my opty @ 2.8 on stock hsf (44C load) Of course this is just one persons chip the results will vary, 4ghz on air? Not bad for 140 quid though. Still DDR2...

gline will give us the run down when he gets his I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

B00MSTICK wrote:
    Who in their right minds buys FX60's anyway (no offence wizz)
    :D:p:o:o

Noone should switch to a Pentium 4 no matter how overclockable or cheap it is.

This is the Pentium 4's last stand and Intel are just getting rid of stock.

A 4ghz P4 still gets whooped by overclocked Athlon 64s.....

So, Everyone, together.

"I pledge allegiance to Advanced Micro devices......"

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

just wondering whats the most you can overclock a fx-60 to with lets say a mach 2 or somthing like that

4.1ghz or something is the world record for an athlon 64 (FX-57 i think)

But ask Gline, he will know.

My guess is ~3.4ghz

But I have 3ghz with air:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

nice.

ah tbh an overclocked fx60 would whip any oc'd intel chip but it is just too expensive

see jes are selling am2 boards now :eek:

AM2 boards are just re hashed S939 boards, they have been around for ages, even DFI have one, and they are usually months late......

But whats the price like?

Ok, I looked myself :)

http://www.jes-computer.de/product_info.php?pID=23841

Only ~€70 with a very nice chipset cooler....

conzymaher wrote:
    AM2 boards are just re hashed S939 boards, they have been around for ages, even DFI have one, and they are usually months late......

But whats the price like?

sae as 939, i hope amd dont make a mistake with am2, it looks like they are :mad:

Hopefully they will pull some inovative cat out of their bag.......

Because the first batch of CPUs are just 939 cpus with an extra pin:(

Hopefully they will scale very nicely with 65nm. imagine a 4ghz X2:eek:

</dream>

conzymaher wrote:
    Hopefully they will pull some inovative cat out of their bag.......

Because the first batch of CPUs are just 939 cpus with an extra pin:(

Hopefully they will scale very nicely with 65nm. imagine a 4ghz X2:eek:

</dream>

true, we can all dream anyway
    :D

ah i havent given up on them
    death to intel is what its all about "says me who just bought an 805"
    My wallet said yes my heart said no.... my wallet won :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

The reason I got an FX-60 was so that I could eventually stick a Mach2 on it :) So I will keep it when I move to AM2 next Spring :)

• Advertisement

il stick to the 805 until next year

Advertisement