Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pentium D 805 (The Uber One)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

had to settle for 3.9ghz as 4ghz is just not stable at all no matter what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

gline wrote:
    sweet for a 140euro chip and 90euro mobo ;)

1meg super pi 33 seconds

I got 32sec Super pi out of my old 533FSB Skt478 3.06ghz Northwood......

Inqui

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

27seconds Super Pi FTW:cool:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

tried a super pi on my opteron last night, it only used 50% of the cpu.
    and averaged the load on both cores.
    should it not both on 100% to get the most out of the cpu?

nice score cozzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

run 2 super pis at the sane time but just name them difffrently and you should use 100%

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

poggy wrote:
    tried a super pi on my opteron last night, it only used 50% of the cpu.
    and averaged the load on both cores.
    should it not both on 100% to get the most out of the cpu?

nice score cozzy

You have a Dual core CPU, and Super PI is single threaded, so 50% CPU usage is 100% CPU usage on one core, which is correct ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Ya can only compare the chip to a standard FX60.
    Decent deal but I d wait for conroe or merom if you wanna switch to intel TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Tom is the man. I'm going to be trying out this setup myself. There was a recent lightning storm in my area that took out my PC(hit the communal aerial in the area, when up my NTL Cable modem and fried my motherboard)

So I was really really pished off, didn't want to have to spend lots of money on fixing up my pc, and I stumbled across Tom's Hardware page :D

So I felt so great I went along and bought an Abit NI8-SLI GR, and a Pentium D 805 2.66GHz.

I even splashed out on a new Graphics card and and ram

BGF 7900GT OC
    OCZ 2GB PC5400

:cool:

Anyway, I'll be using a Zalman CNPS7000 on it, and I'll see how well I do. I'll post here temps/benchs etc.

And, feck it, pics aswell. Why not.

[edit] Oh yeah, I got a new 550 PSU. Will that be enough? I heard this is a right juice guzzler if you get it to 4.1, something like 180w ?

yeh its a juice guzzler but if it is a DECENT 550watt psu you should be fine

what make/model is the psu?

Right, I got my setup, and I must say it's sweet. I didn't expect this 7900GT to perform so well, I can play Prey@High settings,4xAA,16xAF@1280x1024

but prey performs excellently on everything, I could run it at medium settings on my old POS ti4200

Anyway, I've currently got my machine overclocked at 3.2ghz(160x20), from 2.66, I think that's excellent. Did I mention I'm using the stock cooler? But I made a slight modification to my case to improve the airflow dramatically. I stuck a 120mm fan blowing on the cpu cooler, and blowing the air out the back of the case. It dropped my temps by 9oC.

I've been stress testing for an 30 minutes now, and the uGuru temp monitor says the cpu is at 57oC. Not bad eh? :cool: It varys from 57 to 58

It idles at 39oC. It gets a score of 43 on 1M in superpi, not too bad I guess...

I could probably go higher, and I might very well try. Might be able to get

but I got a bit of a problem. In my system thingy it says
    wtfhax1zt.jpg

Is only one of my cores running at 3.2???

• Advertisement

33sec for 1m super pi and i have a 3800 x2 at 2600 260x10 :D

and also both cores are runnig at 3.2 but it just shows what your cpu was at like look at mine

bumplol5nk.png

mang87 wrote:
    Right, I got my setup, and I must say it's sweet. I didn't expect this 7900GT to perform so well, I can play Prey@High settings,4xAA,16xAF@1280x1024

but prey performs excellently on everything, I could run it at medium settings on my old POS ti4200

Anyway, I've currently got my machine overclocked at 3.2ghz(160x20), from 2.66, I think that's excellent. Did I mention I'm using the stock cooler? But I made a slight modification to my case to improve the airflow dramatically. I stuck a 120mm fan blowing on the cpu cooler, and blowing the air out the back of the case. It dropped my temps by 9oC.

I've been stress testing for an 30 minutes now, and the uGuru temp monitor says the cpu is at 57oC. Not bad eh? :cool: It varys from 57 to 58

It idles at 39oC. It gets a score of 43 on 1M in superpi, not too bad I guess...

I could probably go higher, and I might very well try. Might be able to get

but I got a bit of a problem. In my system thingy it says

Is only one of my cores running at 3.2???

to be honest man i dont know if youll be able to oc much more, those temps are pretty high, should be aiming to keep it in early 60's on load

JUST GET A new heat sink.

yeah I'll probably be ordering some water cooling soon. I want one for my conroe when I get it. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Holy fcuk, got my 805 yesturday, now its running @ ~3.91 with the stock HSF, i really cant believe it.

Sweet muhtafscker!!!
    I may be getting me onea these ASAP!

yeh 3.9 seems to be the norm for these

Under water whatll they go to? 4-4.2?

well, im getting held back by my motherboard, when i set the fsb over 195 it just doesnt register. its a sweet little board tho, abit aw8

Under water whatll they go to? 4-4.2?

im only gettin 3.9 on a pretty good wc setup but i think its mobo issue too as this mobo was only like 80euros

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

do your usualy, sell it and get a better one?:D

gline wrote:
    im only gettin 3.9 on a pretty good wc setup but i think its mobo issue too as this mobo was only like 80euros

Hmm this may be the time for me to build a chilled water kit ;)

I have access to a 925x DFI board to I might grab that.

i was going to get a conroe... but i'm having second thoughts, having a 4ghz CPU for 180 bucks and all that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,727 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The real question is: will a stock Core2Duo E6300 outperform it? :p
    (sorry, just me being a bastard ;) OC away...)
    djmarkus wrote:
    i was going to get a conroe... but i'm having second thoughts, having a 4ghz CPU for 180 bucks and all that..
    The E6600 goes to 4Ghz on air too, tho it eclipses any Pentium D. At stock 2.4Ghz. I really want to see OC results for the low-end Conroes (€185-ish) now...

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    The real question is: will a stock Core2Duo E6300 outperform it? :p
    (sorry, just me being a bastard ;) OC away...)

probably will. but not easily available yet, ive had my 805 for 1-2months now and am happy with it, does the job :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

The D805 ain't that great. You have to have some serious cooling to stop it exploding, a really heavy duty powersupply to keep it running and a serious motherboard so that the VRMs don't explode. All in all a bit of a disappointment given the hype... Choosing again I'd get a 920D instead, better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

figured id give this thread a bump. Prices for the 805 seem to be about $115 new and as low as $60 used.

Moving to the states and was looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIGABYTE-GA-8N-SLI-MOTHERBOARD-P4-2-66-DUAL-CORE-COMBO_W0QQitemZ280022825308QQihZ018QQcategoryZ1244QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But then I saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mother-Board-GA-8N-SLI-Socket-775-Gigabyte-NVIDIA-INTEL_W0QQitemZ180022428629QQihZ008QQcategoryZ1244QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SATA is not a problem for me as I use SCSI. Is this gigabyte board any use? natually I plan overclocking the living daylights out of an 805 :)

What think ye?

figured id give this thread a bump. Prices for the 805 seem to be about $115 new and as low as $60 used.

Moving to the states and was looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIGABYTE-GA-8N-SLI-MOTHERBOARD-P4-2-66-DUAL-CORE-COMBO_W0QQitemZ280022825308QQihZ018QQcategoryZ1244QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But then I saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mother-Board-GA-8N-SLI-Socket-775-Gigabyte-NVIDIA-INTEL_W0QQitemZ180022428629QQihZ008QQcategoryZ1244QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SATA is not a problem for me as I use SCSI. Is this gigabyte board any use? natually I plan overclocking the living daylights out of an 805 :)

What think ye?

i wouldnt trust the dodgy board to be honest, it is unusual for just the sata to stop working, usually means board is on the way out when things like that stat going wrong :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

gline wrote:
    i wouldnt trust the dodgy board to be honest, it is unusual for just the sata to stop working, usually means board is on the way out when things like that stat going wrong :(

Yea, im willing to take a chance though. Is that model much use with the 805? Looks to be according to reviews.

• Advertisement

Yea, im willing to take a chance though. Is that model much use with the 805? Looks to be according to reviews.
    think most mobos are ok with that cpu, my mobo was cheap enough and i got a decent OC out of it

Advertisement