Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting grass

Options
  • 10-05-2006 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

What do people do when they have cut their lawn? Where do you dump the grass. As far as I know, you are not supposed to put it in the bin.

If you live in an estate this proves to be a problem I reckon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

What do people do when they have cut their lawn? Where do you dump the grass. As far as I know, you are not supposed to put it in the bin.

If you live in an estate this proves to be a problem I reckon.

Sure a composting bin should solve your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

Peace wrote:
    Sure a composting bin should solve your problem.

I have thought about it alright - but I have about 6 sacks of grass every two weeks and a compost bin would be full in week one. Also, I have no use for teh compost so I would still have to dispose of it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Composting is a solution, but you have to make sure that you either don't overdo the grass cuttings or mix with lots of other stuff ... shredded paper, cardboard or wood shavings. Otherwise you'll end up with a nasty, smelly, wet and slimy heap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Try getting a mower with a mulching option. If you keep the grass short and cut on dry days you will have to pick up on very few occasions in the year. Also does your local recycling centre take cut grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If I leave my grass for 2 weeks I end up with sacks of grass too. Too much to keep filling a composter or wheelie bin. The only solution I've come up with is to cut the grass very regularly (about 3 times a fortnight) and just leave the cutting on the lawn - the left over cutting are unnoticeable as long as they are short.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I keep the cutings large green bag(s) and them dump them in the country side. Its proberly illegal under some crazy by-law but I don't think a bunch of grass will look out of place on an overgrown verge or pose an environmental threat.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Where I used to live, there was a farmer nearby who gave us permission to give the grass to his cows. This amounted to four bags every week in the Summer. The cows seemed to like it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Wheely bin tbh.

delly wrote:
    Wheely bin tbh.

AFAIK you are not supposed to throw grass cuttings in the Wheely bin

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

AFAIK you are not supposed to throw grass cuttings in the Wheely bin
    Maybe, but its been done that way for a while, and what with the bin charges these days, you may as well get value for money.

• Advertisement

delly wrote:
    Maybe, but its been done that way for a while, and what with the bin charges these days, you may as well get value for money.

True, but the thing that i am worried about is that Thornton's now operate on a pay by weight system. In theory, it is a great idea but when you start loading your bin with grass, it gets kinda heavy. The other thing is that they only weigh it every now and then and work out an average for the year, and you never know when it is going to happen.

True, but the thing that i am worried about is that Thornton's now operate on a pay by weight system. In theory, it is a great idea but when you start loading your bin with grass, it gets kinda heavy. The other thing is that they only weigh it every now and then and work out an average for the year, and you never know when it is going to happen.
    Well i'm with Oxygen and its fixed for the year. I've never put a bin out thats not full yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'm with Oxygen too but they have changed the wheeli bin colloection for teh black bin in Naas to every 2 weeks. The green bin is now every 2 weeks as opposed to every 4.

So I decided to get a composter and on the first cut this year I almost 1/3 filled it with grass. So it wouldn't be long into May before it got full, so I have to come up with another plan.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I'm with Oxygen too but they have changed the wheeli bin colloection for teh black bin in Naas to every 2 weeks. The green bin is now every 2 weeks as opposed to every 4.
    And are you paying the yearly charge, or using tags?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Lex Luthor wrote:
    So I decided to get a composter and on the first cut this year I almost 1/3 filled it with grass. So it wouldn't be long into May before it got full, so I have to come up with another plan.
    Thats too much grass...as said before, you will end up with sticky, smelly mank and a million flies unless you add lots of roughage to that...things like food, sawdust, soil, worms, paper, wood.

As has been said, give your grass a trim at least twice a week with ther grassbox off andmow it in different directions each time and you will be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

smashey wrote:
    Where I used to live, there was a farmer nearby who gave us permission to give the grass to his cows. This amounted to four bags every week in the Summer. The cows seemed to like it.

good thinking batman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

I have a mulcher mower guys. Its the only job. Once you keep on top of it. It also self fertilizes the lawn. you just need to make sure that you dont let it grow too long.....a lot of the newer moars have a box and a mulch option..

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

mike65 wrote:
    I keep the cutings large green bag(s) and them dump them in the country side. Its proberly illegal under some crazy by-law
    Its called the Litter Act

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Im guessing he dumps the grass rather than the grass in the bags
    At least Im hoping...

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

tred wrote:
    I have a mulcher mower guys. Its the only job. Once you keep on top of it. It also self fertilizes the lawn. you just need to make sure that you dont let it grow too long.....a lot of the newer moars have a box and a mulch option..

Have thought about this mulcher idea... I have 2 young children playing in the back garden a lot... would they be constantly dragging in the dropped grass clippings?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dump the grass of course, the bags are heavy duty canvas designed for grass and whatnot.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I have a Mulcher mower. It is an ARIENS, U.S. make. It's one of the best purchases I have ever made. I had a second hand mower, one of the main brands before it and it caused nothing but problems. It's actually used over 3 houses. I am the only one that uses the mulching option and if the grass is dry and not too long the cut grass disappears into the lawn as if by magic. You have to build up a knowledge for when and how short to cut and you cut more often but it is a quicker cut without having to pick up grass. There is a website for Ariens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

DaDa wrote:
    Have thought about this mulcher idea... I have 2 young children playing in the back garden a lot... would they be constantly dragging in the dropped grass clippings?
    if its a dry day, not a problem. but if its gets a little wet as u can imagine your boots will cause the grass to stick to it. but remember it mulches it basically into dust if u keep doing it when its short. like the last post here, there are more numerous cuts, but u just run over it, u dont stop and empty....

Advertisement