Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed Gear

Options
  • 10-05-2006 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

I am looking at different fixed gear bikes on the net and i'm just wondering does anyone have any comments on price or advantages, or a link to some info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You'll find some information here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054923238

Any specific questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

well i was just wondering about the advantages and disadvantages compared to say a hybrid and are they comfortable to ride, general pricing, general info as i say i'm just intersted and looking cheers for the link though morgan

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ciaranr

You will probably have to modifiy a bike of your choice yourself, I don't think they're that popular in retail. Plus they would be seriously over-priced.

Check out Sheldon Brown's guide for probably the most information on fixed gears in the universe.

After reading his pages you will see the downsides, which are big ones in my opinion. If you're in the towns and cities around here, a fixed gear would be a major liability unless you have serious biking experience.

You didn't say what level of expertise in cycling you have, if you are just starting to get into it or getting back into it, fixed gear might be the way to go. It's always easier to learn something hard from scratch. There are some wonderful aspects to fixed gearing.

In particular have a look at this article about a knee-injury sufferer to see some of the advantages. Good line:

But as for myself, I'd find it very hard to get out of the habits and luxuries a freewheel hub gives you.

Ciaran

There's another good fixed gear article here:

Fixed Gear 101

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Hi

I ride a fixie to work most days, though I sometimes take the roadie for long spins on the way home. In my opinion, they're great for commuting for the following reasons:
    Simplicity - there's very little to go wrong.
    Weight - they're light.
    Pedalling technique greatly improves.
    There's also the novelty value, though most people think you're wierd

Of course there are disadvantages:
    Price - they're expensive considering you don't get a lot
    Going uphill!
    It can get tiring after a while having to constantly pedal.

You really need clips/clipless, and it's probably best to get the hang of these on a freewheel bike. Sheldon's website normally answers any question you have on bikes, so have a good look at that.

Hope this helps.

M

• Advertisement

that article about the guy with his knee injury was really interesting, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Loads of pictures and info on here
    http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/

Also check out the special interests and the Fixed FAQ section in this forum
    http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/default.asp

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ciaranr wrote:
    After reading his pages you will see the downsides, which are big ones in my opinion. If you're in the towns and cities around here, a fixed gear would be a major liability unless you have serious biking experience.
    One advantage that some claim is more responsive breaking also easier to balance when stopped.

But I wouldn't to try one when tired, your reactions would probably be wrong.

are ones feet normally clipped to the pedals on a fixed gear? i have to say i've only read a bit of sheldons website on fixed gears but already i'm interested and i'm only after buying a new hybrid a few weeks back, stupid me

Sheldon Brown says:
    Sometimes, novice fixed-gear riders will try to use plain pedals with no form of retention system. I strongly advise against this. Riding fixed with plain pedals is an advanced fixed gear skill, only recommended for experienced fixed-gear riders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

well i ride a fixed gear with ordinary pedals and i find it fine, but i wouldn't do without both a front and a rear brake, unlike some. If I road clipless, i would feel safe enough with just a front brake. But my commute isn't long enough for the hassle of clipless pedals or toe clips or straps.

My girlfriend tried to cycle my bike one evening (without asking me), lost control, toppled over and ended up wrecking her knee trying to break her fall. This was last March and she's still hobbling. Some cartilage tear or something. So it can bite back if you don't know what you're doing or at least practice somewhere safe.

my bike is an on-one il pompino. Highly recommend it. You can get them new for about 400stg. check out www.on-one.co.uk

if i could afford to get one of that website i'd be really interested the pompino is really slick. i was thinking about it today that i'd make it into a project build a fixed gear buying parts bit by bit, I have no experience building bikes and i'm pretty new into the cycling scene but i wonder would it be a good way to learn the ins and outs of bikes or would i really f**k up? I dunno, but does anyone out there think its a good/bad idea

cheers for all the advise so far

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

If you can find a frame with horizontal dropouts, that's half the battle. These allow you to tension the chain, and will tend to be older bikes. Then you'll have to get at least a rear wheel built, as I don't think you can easily get fixed wheels off the shelf. The chainsets are surprisingly expensive (http://www.hubjub.co.uk/stronglight/stronglight.htm), but apart from that, it's the usual finishing gear. I personally only have a front brake, as I never use a rear brake even if one is fitted. Lunatic couriers have no brakes.
    There's a FAQ here which could be useful:
    http://fixiefaqs.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome

M

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ciaranr

It would be cool to build one, probably work out a lot cheaper than buying one and cheaper than building a geared bike, once you get the rear wheel sorted.

Chain reaction have an On-One frame here for E259, but without forks. I suppose it would be a bit of a heresy putting the latest Rock Shox on a fixie?

Anyone know can a built up back wheel could be got in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

the on-one "il pompino" is €199 in Cyclogical on 3Bach Walk. the sell all the fixie gear you would need. So would Cycleways parnell st, Wolfe Cycles sundrive rd, Southside cycles(formerly walls Cycles)Crumlin rd, Cycle superstore in Talla. stay away from €urocycles. My 2nd fixie had my sus fork with disc brake-great cruiser but interesting under braking-now using the dics brake with a rigid Kona P2 cyclocross fork. the on-one has a 1 1/8" tubing so the sus fork should be no problem. a crankset would cost about €130. You should get a brake on it. none of this feckless riding...

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

199 for an il pompino frame? That's great value.

However, you should note that frames sold by on-one (as opposed to complete bikes) have a 135mm rear axle spacing (same as MTB) as opposed to 120mm, which is the norm for fixed gear. There are advantages and disadvantages to both although the 120mm has the edge because its easier to get a straight chainline and there are more fixed hubs available in this size.

On-one have been making pompinos for a while, and was initially designed as a single speed (freewheel) bike. But fixed gear has become so popular that their most recent incarnations have been changed to 120mm rear spacing for the reasons above ie more hub options, straighter chainline. But for some reason their pompino frames, sold as frames only, are 135mm. Odd.

my pompino is 135mm spaced frame, but this spacing means i can convert to gears if i want to.

well how hard would it be to find a rear hub for the 135mm in comparison to a 120mm and would there be a big price difference

On-One do a 135mm fixed hub. Reasonably priced too.
    Some 120mm hubs can be spaced out to 135 (if the axle is long enough).
    This yoke will convert a regular freewheel hub into a fixed hub.

Advertisement