Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contracts

• 10-05-2006 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I have just received planning permmission for a one off house and now I have to talk to a few builders.

I am going to emply a contractor to build the whole thing.

I am just wondering if anyone has a copy of contracts that they used with a builder. I am particularly interested in what penalties you put in for time delays etc etc etc.

Many thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

twenty8 wrote:
    I have just received planning permmission for a one off house and now I have to talk to a few builders.

I am going to emply a contractor to build the whole thing.

I am just wondering if anyone has a copy of contracts that they used with a builder. I am particularly interested in what penalties you put in for time delays etc etc etc.

Many thanks,

Id say if you introduce penaltys for time delay, they will compensate with a much higher price. It depends ont he size of the house and your budget., but i have only heard of penaltys regarding loss of earnings if it was a hotel you were or the likes. I think its no harm first costing the house with a reputable quanitity surveyor. This gives u an idea what the house will cost to build. they will break it down to the different sections and details. Then from this you would hand this to a builder, without the prices of course, and compare what they are coming back with. i think this what a lot of people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭O-Ninio

The type of contract you would require for your job is the RIAI SF 88 which is a shorter form of their standard contract and designed for smaller jobs. Copies of these contracts are available in their bookshop on Merrion Square or you can get them via post I think. If you are using a contarct you will need a contract administrator who is familiar with their implementation, an architect or quantity surveyor will be able to do this for you. Be careful if amending any clauses within this contract and remember a construction contract is designed as a shield and not a sword.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,181 ✭✭✭✭muffler

O-Ninio wrote:
    remember a construction contract is designed as a shield and not a sword.
    Quite right. And every good sword is double sided. Your standard building contract will protect the builder as well as the client.

If its a straight forward house and the builder comes on recommendations then you could just get your solicitor to issue the standard contract with whatever special conditions you need

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

im hi-jacking a very old thread here but i need to find a copy of the sf88, online, within the next hour or two! has anyone got a copy of it or even just the basic details.
    it's for a poxy college project and i have no info for it. :eek::(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Not even so much as an introduction as its first post. Where are peoples manners these days :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

oh sorry, was in a bit of a hurry, it have time to introduce itself.
    thanks for the info and the welcome. yeah, where are peoples manners?:rolleyes:

Advertisement