Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

black exhaust smoke

Options
  • 10-05-2006 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hi there - opinions needed:

I drive a 97 citreon xantia turbo diesel. Recently there's black smoke coming out of the exhaust (only when I put the boot down/ when the revs are high). I changed the air filter the other day, but it didnt make a difference. Its also accompanied by a burny smell if the window is open.

Anyone any ideas what may be wrong? I'm fairly broke so dont want to take it to a mechanic if at all possible.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Maybe burning too much oil, not enough oil!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds like the engine may be getting too much diesel. It could be that your pump timing is slightly out. Best to get it checked out tbh in case it developes into something more serious and costs a lot more to repair. Get the fault diagnosed at the very least and find out what the consequences of not getting it fixed might be and then make your mind up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Epicpriest

Evil_Bilbo wrote:
    Hi there - opinions needed:

I drive a 97 citreon xantia turbo diesel. Recently there's black smoke coming out of the exhaust (only when I put the boot down/ when the revs are high). I changed the air filter the other day, but it didnt make a difference. Its also accompanied by a burny smell if the window is open.

Anyone any ideas what may be wrong? I'm fairly broke so dont want to take it to a mechanic if at all possible.

thanks

I have the same, 99' VW TDI. And i saw a 03 Diesel jeep pulling off the other day and black smoke was coming out. Maybe it's just Diesel cars?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

jonny24ie wrote:
    Maybe burning too much oil, not enough oil!!
    Possibly, but oil usually gives off smoke with a bluish/grey colour. OP states that smoke is black which is more indicative of diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Turbodiesels tend to shower the land behind them with a dose of black smoke when you give them welly(over 3500rpm). There's a passat TDi at home that's always been this way.. afaik it's perfectly normal. I don't know if the OPs car is producing more than the normal amount, but if you think its too much then get it checket, valve timing or fuel pump maybe?

• Advertisement

Kermitt wrote:
    Turbodiesels tend to shower the land behind them with a dose of black smoke when you give them welly(over 3500rpm). There's a passat TDi at home that's always been this way.. afaik it's perfectly normal. I don't know if the OPs car is producing more than the normal amount, but if you think its too much then get it checket, valve timing or fuel pump maybe?

Hmm, does the car seem to use more fuel then it's stated "55MPG" or whatever? I was giving mine a little bit of welly (but not breakg the speed limit" for a few mins and it seemed to move the needle down a notch...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/45573/turbo_diesel_dodge_truck/

theres an example of a turbo diesel thats burning too much diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

It would be heavier on juice when you drive it hard alright, to get the 55mpg or so out of it, keep it below the 2500rpm,

Kermitt wrote:
    It would be heavier on juice when you drive it hard alright, to get the 55mpg or so out of it, keep it below the 2500rpm,

Thanks, seems to be above this that the Turbo starts sucking in air (sounds like it)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

thanks guys - called a mechanic today, he said to replace the fuel filter (probably never been replaced) and see what happens then. The black smoke only started recently, so there's obviously something wrong.

yeah - its only around the 2500 that it happens (or when I just put the boot down in say 2nd/3rd to speed up a bit / go up a steep hill.

Thanks anyway - I'll get the fuel filter sorted this evening and if that dosent work I'll get the turbo d mechanisms checked out professionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Could be the turbo is on its last legs. If it isnt delivering the right pressure the car will be overfuelling and thus getting black smoke.

It could also be an Exhaust gas recirculation valve not working, although I doubt if those PSA engines had one.

A diesel car should not emit much black smoke, even when being hammered. The only time you should see something that looks like smoke is when you look in your rearview mirror at night when a car has its headlights on behind you. You also tend to get a puff when you start from cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Worn injector(s)?

Advertisement