Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

medieval english!!!

Options
  • 10-05-2006 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

Ok so what are people gonna study? Man i am actually screwed..could read those books ten times and still not be able to answer a question on it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

I'm gonna presume its first year you're talking about. The mock paper they did is a pretty good guideline to what their going to ask, at least I think it is. Should be on the english course website, ah indeed it is:

http://www.ucd.ie/englishanddrama/undergraduateinfo.htm and its the last link under the "getting medieval" section.

I'm going to study the romance texts and the Canterbury Tales and have some stuff done on Beowulf as a fallback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I'm pretty much relying entirely on the translation to scrape a pass. Also reading everyman & Beowulf and hoping to get some marks there but not too confident...

Print this out and translate it over and over again using
    http://www.courses.fas.harvard.edu/~chaucer/teachslf/gp-par.htm
    And/or
    http://www.librarius.com/canttran/gptrfs.htm

Though i think the first one is better for our purposes...

(edit: ignore that some of the numbers are a little off the guideline. the version i had just has them wrong for some reason but the lines there are 1-41 in the book etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭randombassist

I was freaking out over this exam, but once I saw the sample paper it seems like it'll all be ok. I don't reckon they want to put us off doing English in second year, so they're putting questions on about anything we may have read in order to give us a bit of help! That said I'm still relying pretty heavily on the translation... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

did none of you guys do the essay or something?!? it was worth 50%!! if you did even a half ar$ed job at it you'll pass the exam tomorrow. plus, my guess is that they'll pick a section of translation thats phonetically similar to modern english. The english department really dont want anyone to fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

oh yeh forgot bout the essay, dunno what i got tho coz tutor was "eh sick " so hadn't marked it and was gna email but never did...anyway yeh hoping passage is easy enough ... have a few qs i COULD answer but as for saying the sample paper seems easy, can't rely on same qs coming up...hoping t get something handy enough on beowulf or chaucer...oh and on sample paper says not to repeat material that has already been used...that mean u can't do two chaucer qs???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

yeah my tutor promised he'd do that as well! are your tutor's initials F.L. by any chance? The no repeating thing just means you can't answer a question on, for example, the shipman's tale and then base a general medieval literature question purely on the shipmans tale. As far as i know you can use the different segments of Chaucer individually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

No mine is CD...ha..hopefully willscrape by based on assignment and passage...man i'm screwed..is anyone else just not arsed? I just want to be summer...really more I attempt to study more I just don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Elle, I know who you're talking about. He's a nice guy. Don't know what he's like as a tutor though.

If today's third year paper is anything to go by, you'll do well to focus on the sample paper.

None of what you have to do is that hard. You're reading Beowulf in translation. Try an OE lab and then tell me how tough the ME is.

Something very handy for trying to get the gist of a ME text in a hurry is to read it aloud. The meaning of the words is far more apparent if you say them out loud and you'll find the text more entertaining.

You guys got some lovely texts this year - Beowulf, The Canterbury Tales, Sir Orfeo... If you take them slowly, you might really enjoy them. (Then again, I'm a bit mad about the auld ME, so I'm biased!)

Advertisement