Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is this forum so unpopular?

Options
  • 10-05-2006 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Now here is an interesting question in itself. I look around, and I see other forums that are hugely active. But the most active ones are where people are wallowing in some form of unhappiness.

Now here we have the spiritual forum, and it is almost dead. I posted a thread "Can truth be found in religions", and after 10 hours online, there were a total of 2 views!

If I post up a thread "My life is so horrible" on another forum, I will have about 100 views within a few hours.

Is modern society preoccupied with negativity and darkness? And if not that, then mindless entertainments and personal gain? Are we drawn to the dark aspects of humanity more and more? Has this resulted in strengthening certain forces in the world?

And does this Spirituality forum hold any significance whatsoever in these times of life in the fast lane, stress, depression, obsession with money, etc? Apparently not... people would rather wallow in misery and in other superfical distractions rather than find a way out.

I should also add, I once posted a spiritually themed message in one of the mentioned forums, offering some possibility of spiritual help to people who were constantly wallowing in misery, and all I got was skepticism and a little abuse. The said forum only seems to accept help in the form of doctors, psychologists, councellors, and suchlike...no spirituality allowed.

I should also say that I don't claim to be any better. Heck I regularly post on motors forum and stuff, so I'm just as superficial :D

I'm just posing the question, are we becoming more this way (dark, superficial, greedy), and does a spirituality have any use for the majority of users?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

We requested this forum as a kind of offshoot of the paranormal forum to discuss stuff that didnt fit there or in any of the regular religious forums.

I think the reaction (or lack of it) to this forum is typical of life in general. Religion and spirituality, outside of certain circles, is really unfashionable at the moment. People live in the here and now, and only look towards how big a mortgage they can afford, what colour car they can have and whether they look good :rolleyes: Investing in your spiritual side is something that can be left till your getting closer to death. A sweeping statement, I know, but one I feel to be true.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've noticed it seems to be more popular when it's more active. Well, I suppose that's obvious, what I mean is that some activity seems to breed more activity. This may partly be because the forum gets noticed more when threads for it are on the homepage, and partly because people either don't want to start threads or don't know what to start them about. (I'm hoping over the next few weeks to start spamming the forum with any topic I can think of to try and kick start more activity)

Another reason is that some of the threads can be kind of hard to reply to. I've lost count of the amount of threads I've started a reply for, then half way through changed my mind on something or my train of thought has gone off on a complete tangent. I've often rewritten replies a few times before scrapping it and deciding to come back to it after my brain has untangled itself (and then completely forgotten all about it :o ). I think this is a good thing many of the topics here can provoke so much thought, but it does make replies less frequent.

Lastly, I think there's a lot of misconceptions about spirituality, both the forum and the topic in general. A lot of people seem to think it's either all about dancing with fairies and hugging trees, or else it's all about wasting money on premium rate phone lines etc. I don't think there's much that can, or should be done about this, when people are ready they'll come looking themselves. I'm sure there are a lot more spiritually inclined people areound Ireland who possibly aren't aware of the forum, and it would be good to try and get some involved. I've been thinking of various ways to do this, but haven't really thought of any that I'm happy with yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

Maybe it is because it is something people tend not to be frivolous about, in order to talk about something like spirituality there needs to be some time and energy put into it. It is a lot easier to fire off a quick post about how you think Roy Keane is a hero or how your girlfriend is annoying you in a five minute window in work, than discussing the merits of meditation on ones spiritual awareness etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Maybe people don't like to be talked down to. Just a suggestion.

homah_7ft wrote:
    Maybe people don't like to be talked down to. Just a suggestion.
    Is this really how you think this forum works, or are you trolling?

• Advertisement

Im sorry that last post was no 666 and I couldnt leave it like that and go home, especially seeing where I am.:D :D

No I am not trolling. Sorry I just wanted to make my point starkly. Is it really necessary to put down other fora to claim this one should be more active?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Dagon wrote:
    And does this Spirituality forum hold any significance whatsoever in these times of life in the fast lane, stress, depression, obsession with money, etc? Apparently not... people would rather wallow in misery and in other superfical distractions rather than find a way out.

I should also say that I don't claim to be any better. Heck I regularly post on motors forum and stuff, so I'm just as superficial :D

I'm just posing the question, are we becoming more this way (dark, superficial, greedy), and does a spirituality have any use for the majority of users?

Hi Dagon,

Having an interest in motors (or for that matter anything on the "physical plane") doesn't necessarily imply superficiality. Only, as you say, when we place too much emphasis on them for receiving fulfillment do they become "superficial distractions." One can still have possesions, interests, yet recognise they aren't the be all and end all unto themselves for achieving fulfillment and happiness.

homah_7ft's comment is completely understandable, as it does seem patronising to hypothise that people would rather "wallow in misery", and that spirituality taught through spiritual teachings/teachers knows better. That hypothesis seems like it's coming from an egotistical viewpoint, and from my very limited knowledge, that's not the way these teachings are taught, in a "I know best, it's not your fault you don't know any better" manner (Just to clarify, I'm not attacking you either here!) However, it ("spirituality") can offer new and different perspectives that we may have not been privy to before, the objective being to achieve a greater understanding of the world and of ourselves.

My €0.02 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

Good question Dagon. I think the genre here at boards is pretty typical in that it reflects the growing secularism in Ireland. The majority of folk are in college, another vast swathe are gamers/puter heads and the rest just want to get away from the daily toil and chat about "stuff". It's very much a reality on the ground. Spirituality is seen in the same light as religion and most folk here consider these things as delusions or disorders of belief.
    I've been a member of spiritual fora that comprise of mainly US, UK and Aussies, the former think the Irish are all holy catholics who can't think about anything other than eternal redemption and repentance, it's difficult trying to explain that how very far from the truth that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

It's a well known fact that bad news sells newspapers. Most people are cosseted in an illusion created to keep us all in our place and collectively hoodwink ourselves that our way of life is valid and right. Many people believe the TV and advertising and our so called 'leaders' at a certain level but unconsciously a lot of people are deeply unhappy with modern life. The trouble is that it is at such a buried level in a lot of people that they cannot understand why feel empty or what to do about it.

The world has sped up, most noticeably in the last century, and real spirituality takes time to experience, time is something we don't give ourselves any more, although we always complian about. For most people if the answers don't come quick and easy then it's no good. Therefore most people look elsewhere be it money, power, drugs, sex, violence, whatever. A forum like this is a minority interest, but there's nothing one can do really, people will do what they want and if they don't want spiritual fulfilment (or to discuss) they wont.

http://www.electricpublications.com

• Advertisement

JD wrote:
    TV and advertising and our so called 'leaders' at a certain level but unconsciously a lot of people are deeply unhappy with modern life. Therefore most people look elsewhere be it money, power, drugs, sex, violence whatever.
    In fairness tho it's not really our place to judge how people choose to feel happy, drugs sound appealing to me right now :)

Also, on the issue of TV, PR and advertising, I'm not sure how familiar other people here are with other spiritual communities online, but all the ones I visited are UK, US and Aus people, and a lot of TV programs in these nations reflects spiritual issues of awareness, so they get a regular feeding.
    It's also notable as they are all allies in the current "global war against terrorism" and I wonder how relative it all is in the bigger picture (me spiritual brain working). Perhaps there isn't such a great need for internalisatation here. The Irish have been dealing with issues of terrorism and the nature of belief for a long time and consequently, they are a deep seated people and have a tendency to be introspective on the whole, with or without religion or spirituality. They just don't talk about it much. (unless they're gee eyed)

I know its slightly off topic but it's something I've been meaning to discuss for a while.

homah_7ft wrote:
    No I am not trolling. Sorry I just wanted to make my point starkly. Is it really necessary to put down other fora to claim this one should be more active?
    The OP didnt come across to me that way, I thought Dagon was wondering why people tend to ignore anything religious or spiritual. I love the variety on boards, I dont think theres anything wrong with posting all kinds of stuff, all over boards, if you check my profile, youll see I get about a bit too.:) But it is true that this kind of forum is only visited mostly by regulars, and fresh input is low, people dont want to discuss things here.:confused: Maybe we come off a bit too holy.;)

KatieK wrote:
    The OP didnt come across to me that way, I thought Dagon was wondering why people tend to ignore anything religious or spiritual. I love the variety on boards, I dont think theres anything wrong with posting all kinds of stuff, all over boards, if you check my profile, youll see I get about a bit too.:) But it is true that this kind of forum is only visited mostly by regulars, and fresh input is low, people dont want to discuss things here.:confused: Maybe we come off a bit too holy.;)

:D

Magic Monkey seems to have seen something similar to me in the original post. I have think that was probably not how it was meant to come across but I just wanted to highlight how it might seem to someone (like me) who just happened to see this forum. Still it seems to have got a bit of spark going here and that is certainly good.

homah_7ft wrote:
    :D

Magic Monkey seems to have seen something similar to me in the original post. I have think that was probably not how it was meant to come across but I just wanted to highlight how it might seem to someone (like me) who just happened to see this forum. Still it seems to have got a bit of spark going here and that is certainly good.
    It has, not saying itll ever be as popular as AH... And there are plenty of other deserted forums around, we just dont go there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Dagon wrote:
    Is modern society preoccupied with negativity and darkness? And if not that, then mindless entertainments and personal gain? Are we drawn to the dark aspects of humanity more and more? Has this resulted in strengthening certain forces in the world?

Not all of us deal with problems in the same way and not everyone believes in spirituality.

And it does sound like you are talking down to people who are not into spirituality, who are you to say the world is getting "darker" cause of lack of belief. I'd find it akin to someone saying you're going to hell because you don't follow religion X.

Im not trying to talk down to anyone, and Im not what you would call religious, I have my own beliefs, everyone else is free to do what they want. But on a similar theme to Dagon, why is it that mentioning religion and spirituality is totally un-pc? Giving 'secular' advice or information is fine, but mention religion and your likely to get flamed. The reaction time and again is 'dont try to convert/force your views on me.' This is as true in life as in boards, just ask a Jehovahs Witness (although they may be trying to convert you ;) ) Apart from football, it's the one thing that seems to divide people.

In observation, it might be true to say that most spiritual folk have little time for sitting in front of puters. Apparantly, It's not a very spiritual place to be :)

I'd like some drugs now

KatieK wrote:
    Im not trying to talk down to anyone, and Im not what you would call religious, I have my own beliefs, everyone else is free to do what they want. But on a similar theme to Dagon, why is it that mentioning religion and spirituality is totally un-pc? Giving 'secular' advice or information is fine, but mention religion and your likely to get flamed. The reaction time and again is 'dont try to convert/force your views on me.' This is as true in life as in boards, just ask a Jehovahs Witness (although they may be trying to convert you ;) ) Apart from football, it's the one thing that seems to divide people.

To be fair anytime someone takes a stance with even a hint of self righteousness on boards they are flamed. I have to say it's not always justified but it's the way of boards. I have seen people attacked over saying a certain processer, political viewpoint or price of item is correct.

@ solas Ha, I think your right. Turning off and going home to meditate.

Just say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

But if someone truly believes in something surely someone trying to preach or convert them is pointless and considering another religion could be seen as blasphemous.

I'm a complete atheist and if someone came to me to tell me about a religion I'd just fob them off. Any chance of me believing in a god is not going to come from someone telling me about it.

• Advertisement

hang on, before you go home, where are you going during meditation...I need some inspiration.

This is taking off now. How about someone starts a new thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I don't think the lack of activity on this forum reflects people spending less time on their spiritual aspect of life. Maybe most people have experienced modern education and realise that spirituality is a non-event and irrelevant. They can’t be accused of spending less time reflecting on their spirituality if they don't believe they have a spiritual side to reflect on.

As for darker topics, these are a reality of life and people need to discuss them. Most people would feel that there is no answer in spirituality as they simply don't believe in religion or spiritual guidance and see it as primitive and negative in itself. People on the spirituality forum may believe in religion or some higher being and see it as a comfort, and I'm happy for them and wish them well, but the fact is that most people seek out practical advice when dealing with problems and not a placebo.
    (I hope my post generates some traffic on your forum :) )

It would depend what you would describe as spiritual. Many people post in a bluster looking for advice on a pc crashing or a relationship breakup. Oftentime a helpful reply will start, "First take a deep breath". Is this telling the person to centre themselves?

<wanders down grassy sunlit path while listening to bubbling stream>

<sits on mossy stone shaded by leafy trees, waiting for imaginary happy pill prescription to arrive when accosted by an angel with fluffy wings>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

<wonders if Solas' happy pill prescription actually arrived several hours ago ;) >

I think I understand what Dagon is saying, or something similar anyway. I think he's making two seperate points, one is that forums like Computers/Tech or Motors (both of which I post on too) are very popular, which is fine and shows that there is the potential for a lot of traffic, i.e. boards.ie has lots of members. The second point is half social commentary, half theory about why many people don't post here.

I agree with Dagon on the second point, there's something in real life, and is replicated here on boards that I call the Eastenders Effect. Basically, people get hooked on watching soaps because the utter and continual misery portrayed on them makes people feel better about whatever problems they have in their own lives. And then having problems just becomes a way of life, and while many people do have real problems, others make the tiniest little thing into a huge ordeal. I posted on PI a few times thinking it'd be nice to try and help people, and it was, but I ended up getting depressed over the amount of people who think the world is going to end everytime they break a nail. (that's not to say all PI posts are like that, many obviously are real issues).

I'm not totally sure about the connection this would have with this forum though ?

Why do you think the other fora present misery? I would say 80% of the activity here focuses on happiness. People talking about the things that enthuse them or just make them smile. I don't buy into the notion that our society is becoming less spiritual.

steve wrote:
    <wonders if Solas' happy pill prescription actually arrived several hours ago >
    wishful thinking.
    I agree with Dagon on the second point, there's something in real life, and is replicated here on boards that I call the Eastenders Effect. Basically, people get hooked on watching soaps because the utter and continual misery portrayed on them makes people feel better about whatever problems they have in their own lives.
    Its all about escapism, (something I presently could do with a healthy dose of) spirituality just offers a different outlet, conveniently with meditation you get to decide the ending.
    I'm not totally sure about the connection this would have with this forum though ?
    If your referring to PI's then I think that spirituality is a place people often turn to when they are looking for answers, just not many here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Possibly because of (a) the confusion with Spiritualism, and (b) that most people discuss spiritual matters under one of the other Religion / Spirituality fora?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement