Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Using a 3G phone while in America on a J1

• 10-05-2006 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi there,

I know there is a thread on USA Networks but I thought my question is a tad more specific.

I have an 3/Hutchison 3G mobile on bills here in Ireland. I'm going to San Francisco for the summer and I was just wondering will a sim card I get over there (presumably for a 2G) phone work in my 3G phone? Also, would I have to get 3 Ireland to unlock my phone or do anything to it? And thirdly (sorry!), whats the best way to pay my Irish phone bill while I'm away? Its on a monthly direct debit at the moment but I'd kinda like to pay all 3 months in advance before I leave. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any replies! ;)

Comments

Virtually all 3G phones support 2G 1900MHz so that would be fine in San Francisco.

You will need to get the phone unlocked, but unfortunately 3 are well known for refusing to give the codes (even though you're entitled to it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

333 or 0833333333 tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Put three months line rental into your account then it will come out by direct debit and you will have enough to cover it !!!!

You wont be able to get your phone unlocked that easily!!! Ive tried!!!

USA dont have 3G as widely available as in Europe . When it comes to mobiles they are way behind us!!!

Get a cheap tri band mobile here on Vodafone or O2 and get it unlocked or contact Verizon or Sprint when your in San Fran and buy a cheap one there!!

go to Sprint.com or verizon.com to see what services they offer

Advertisement