Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gainward GFx problems

Options
  • 10-05-2006 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭

The cards a gainward 7800GT, one of those goes like hell editions, with 512 memory, and clocked to 450mhz and memory clocked to 1300 via expert tool sw.

Started happening sunday, my would TFT go as if the lcd was broken(ever see a cracked lcd screen?), this was during Starwars empire at war. it would pasue a bit(4-5 seconds), but eventually move on. Thought it was the game as i was running a mod with it. anyway later that night tried BF2, was going grand and then it did the same but again drove on a few seconds and a death later. Alt tabbed checked my temps and everything seemed fine, CPU was 42 degrees and GPU was around 57. Normal for mine. I reinstalled the drivers(84.21), even tho i did have the latest ones.

Anyway later on i was watching some AVI's and it did the same, pic frooze, but the sound went on, took a while to shut down VLC player. I could understand it affecting games, but AVI's. I never really took notice of the 2D clockspeed, but i noticed it was running at 275(is that low), i clocked it up to 380. I've tried omega drivers, they don't recognise the card for some reason, i can alter resolution etc but the system won't recognise the card. anyway i've installed the previous forceware drivers, 81.98 and am waiting for the system to f up again.

don't think its power as i've had the card for 4 months now, systems specs are :
    AMD 4400 X2,
    MSI K8N SLI Platinum, nForce4 SLI
    2 GB 3200 ram,
    2 X 250GB sata hd, 1 X 250GB ide hd and 1 X 500GB sata hd.
    DVD-rom
    DVD +\- RW
    Gainward 7800GT 512.
    Enermax 600W PSU.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Have you tried under clocking it to the reference specs;
    Core: 400Mhz
    RAM: 500Mhz (1000Mhz effective)

The graphics card has different clock speeds for when running in 2D and 3D which is why it was set lower. You can use RivaTuner or the hidden NVIDIA overclocking tab to under clock it's 3D mode, also not a good idea to overclock it in 2D mode.

Check the system RAM with Memtest+ just in case as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Yeah tried the base 400/1000, pretty much the same. I can play on, it goes away after 4-5 seconds and might reoccur. Playing avi's is a different story, it locks up windows altogether and takes a while to shut down. Will give the memtest a go.

Well returned it on the 17th of may and they finally shipped my replacement today. No 7800GT 512's left so i got a gainward bliss 7900GT 256 instead. did'nt work out too bad in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Except omg they gave you less memory! :p
    Hope this one works out better for ya :o

Memory kinda peeved me a but but i checked out the core clock speeds and 3dmark scores and 7900's better otherwise i'd be kicking their ass.

anyway sold it already and picking up an x1900 XTX instead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement