Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

After market air conditioning

Options
  • 10-05-2006 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I've recently bought a X-trail 2003 model, Unfortunately this model does not come with an air con fitted as standard.

I was wondering if air con could now be fitted? If this can be done does where is the best place to have this done?

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Proberly not worth the trouble and money, retro-fitting air-con is a long messy task the whole of the dash would have to be stripped out and much work in the bulkhead areas, plus the buisness of fiting the compressor, pipework electrics, Yikes! :eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

biceri wrote:
    I've recently bought a X-trail 2003 model, Unfortunately this model does not come with an air con fitted as standard.

I was wondering if air con could now be fitted? If this can be done does where is the best place to have this done?

Any help appreciated

Try calling Nissan, there might be a dealer kit. I know Toyota used to have one that was much cheaper than standard aftermarket a/c. If they don't, then I'd either change the car or just live with it, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the Toyota one costs €2,200 and only really makes sense if its new. I'd say it be easier to get a new machine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A place in Ranelagh retro fits A/C to most models. The company is called ICE. I've had 3 cars (2 VW Boras & 1 Passat) done in the last couple of years and they all worked out OK. No problems with them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What kind of money did they charge you?

• Advertisement

Can't remember tbh. I'll have to check invoices tomorrow. If memory serves me I think it was just below 2 grand and the jobs took few days to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

biceri wrote:

Any help appreciated

A refridgeration company is your best bet I think but to the honest it will not be cheap. Not worth it imo, better off upgrading the car to one with a/c as it will probably only cost slightly more than retro fitting it. Either that or live with it as it is. A cheaper alternative might be to get an aftermarket sunroof fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,418 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

crosstownk wrote:
    If memory serves me I think it was just below 2 grand and the jobs took few days to complete.

That's a lot of money. Especially considering that the day after you had it done, it had already depreciated about €1800

Any reason you had it fitted instead of just changing the car? Why did you buy a car without aircon in the first place if you were that keen on aircon?

Sorry for all the questions, just intrigued :)

I've aircon and if it stopped working tomorrow, I wouldn't spend much more than €100 to get it fixed. If it cost more, I wouldn't bother

unkel wrote:
    That's a lot of money. Especially considering that the day after you had it done, it had already depreciated about €1800

Any reason you had it fitted instead of just changing the car? Why did you buy a car without aircon in the first place if you were that keen on aircon?
    All lease cars and all chargeable to the customer - at their request - as the car is out on lease the cost is spread over the period of the lease, usually 3-4 years so it appears affordable over the 36 or 48 months. All of them people who decided they wanted A/C after the car was delivered. Suits me as the car is more saleable at end of lease.

I totally agree with you - if it was my own car I'd get factory fitted A/C and would always go for climate control.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,418 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

crosstownk wrote:
    All lease cars and all chargeable to the customer

Ah, now it makes sense :)

So you are a fleet manager or something like that? I'd be very interested to know what your job is all about and what your experience is with cars in Ireland and what statistics you use. At the end of the day TCO is probably the most important measure from your perspective I would've thought but I'd love to see your views on this. Rants are welcome too :D

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    Ah, now it makes sense :)

So you are a fleet manager or something like that?
    Yep - could rant all day about various makes and models but thats whole different thread or maybe an idea for a very long winded blog;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 biceri

Thanks for all the input

I was just asking out of interest. Not realy that keen on A/c in Ireland, but was going on holliday to France and just wondered if this could be done and at what price.

Does not look as if it is a viable option though

Thanks

Advertisement