Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

radio will not stay off

Options
  • 10-05-2006 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi

I have a 2000 Ibiza with the square screen to show radio stations, temperature etc

Since last night I have notice even after i take the key out the radio stays on.
    Even when i switch it off again the radio keeps comming back on by itself.

Does anyone know what can be causing this or something similar happen to them?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Have a 00' Ibiza myself and the exact same thing happened. It's a fault with them, and the whole radio unit had to be replaced. If you can try and get a second hand or reconditioned one because they're about €300 from Seat Ireland new.

You should start disconnecting the battery when you get out of the car or else you'll end up with a flat battery after a few days.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

You'd possibly get one in a breakers yard. Otherwise, use the opportunity to replace it with a standard CD headunit. You may need fascia adaptor and wiring harness for going the standard stereo route.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Until you get another radio pull out the fuse so as to avoid draining your battery - especially if you don't use the car for a few days. You might find a replacement on eBay. I just checked - nothing on offer at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭golfdiva

Thanks for the advise guys

Looks like I will be buying the whole radio unit reconditioned from My local Seat dealer.
    They dont sell them new anymore but they are able to offer a reconditioned one for €300 in exchange for my broken one.

Rather expensive when u consider its only a radio , theres not even a CD player in the unit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Check Ebay, €300 notes for one is scandalous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

It could be the crystal / clock generator feeding the main IC on the stereo causing the problem. A good auto-elec or hifi electrician would set it straight probably for a fraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

For a 00 car you dont intend tor keep forever maybe it would be as simple to wire the feed through a switch under the dash. Even better would be to wire it through a relay that would close when you turn on the ignition.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I imagine this would cause it to lose the radio presets every time you turn it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Stephen wrote:
    I imagine this would cause it to lose the radio presets every time you turn it off?

it depends on how it is wired and whether it has a battery back up.

Some radios have 2 wires (often red and yellow), the yellow one is for the backup, and is wired directly to the battery. The main wire then takes the feed from the "accessory" position on the ignition. Even if you disconnect both wires some radios will not loose the presets for a few days, although this was more common with the removable ones they used to fit in cars a few years back.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

For that kind of money, you're far better off getting a standard size MP3 CD Headunit, and fascia adaptor.

You'll have a better stereo for less than the cost of a recon tape deck.

What model is the radio? Is it an "Aura" perchance?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds troublesome that. I had a wife that caused similar bother :D

Advertisement