Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise required re: uploading files to server

Options
  • 10-05-2006 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

hello,
    I will soon be writting a php script which allows a user to upload mp3s to a server. The user needs to enter their 'name' , 'email', 'track name', and 'description' into a form , as well as selecting the file for upload before uploading. The form information is stored within a mysql database and the file is upload to a dir on the server. All the fields are required, and the only file that can be uploaded is of .mp3 extension. I expect the average file size to be in the 80mb region. As a result i have some issues.

Lets say it takes about 20 minutes to upload a mp3, i will need some visual repesentation to show a progress bar, so ajax is a obvious contender. Does anyone know of another way to do this without using ajax?

Would it be best to have the form require the 4 fields (name, email, track name and description) on page 1, validate those fields, and then ask for the upload on page 2 due to the time it would take to upload the mp3? I have written a test php file for this and i have all the forms on the one page at the moment.

I will more than likely dynamically generate the page urls to avoid people skiping to page 2 and the like. To avoid someone uploading the same track twice or person x having the same track title as person y on the server i think i will alter the filename on upload. I will add a hash value to the mp3 title. I can probably validate this too fairly easily too actually.

What other secuirty, validation issues would i need to consider? Is a 80mb file too large to upload in this manner? What would you do? Suggestions please.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

An old work colleague that i used to work with said that PHP can't support something like that? He used a Perl script instead working with the PHP script to show the status of an upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

php on its own can't but combained with ajax it can. i doubt i could use a flash file to indicate the upload progress either so ajax is probably the only option unless i use a perl script to conduct the upload but i'm not familar with perl.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yeah well sorry couldn't be more of a help. Perl though is not that hard to learn its very similer to php by syntax actually.

Check out http://sourceforge.net/projects/megaupload/

i have seen that before, its nice. I might examine it further when i get closer to the date when i require the upload script

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

It is perl based but I found it very good with large files and pretty easy to embed it into a php form via iframe to combine it with a database insert:
    http://encodable.com/tech/ajaxupload/

R

• Advertisement

cheers.

Advertisement